Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Candle Lighting May 26

Marj37

Hi Everyone -

On Thursday evening (any time) Mary and I are lighting candles in memory and honor of our fur kids that have left us .   

We invite you to join and light a candle that evening; making light and hope and love through out the land and even the planet...

And here is a poem you might read that Mary sent to me.

Namastè

The truest words of all: I will not forget you. 
You are in my waking thoughts, 
my sweetest memories, my dearest dreams. 
I will not forget you. 
You have touched my soul, opened my eyes, 
changed my very experience of the universe.  
I will not forget you. 
I see you in the flowers, the sunset, 
the sweep of the horizon 
and all things that stretch to infinity.  
I will not forget you. 
I have carved you on the palm of my hand. 
I carry you with me forever.

~ Ellen Sue Stern, Living With Loss, 1995

• Upvote 3

What a lovely idea! Lena and I will join you. She is still here, young and healthy, but I have lost other pets before her and it was always heartbreaking.

• Upvote 2

Marj,

I will too, that is a great idea!  I have many pets I've lost over the years, including one I never felt I properly mourned because my marriage broke up within two days of her death.  It's good to remember them this way, they deserve that and so much more.

• Upvote 3

I will also join everyone for this remembrance ceremony. Serendipitously, I feel my furkids are calling me to connect more deeply again anyway, as I just received 2 more signs from them just yesterday and today. Love that poem from Mary, and another short but poignant one I had saved (unknown author) is:

"My love for you is a journey....

Starting at forever,

And ending at never."

And still, one of my all-time favourites for furchildren is:

Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute
You didn't grow
Under my heart-but in it"

~Fleur Conkling Heylinger

I'm sure my heart will also be drifting to include those I lost to a move after a 5-year-long close relationship with them.

• Upvote 3

I will join this special group as I remember my beloved Benji as well as all those special pets who are waiting for us at Rainbow Bridge. 

pet loss.jpg

• Upvote 5

Thanks everyone........and more good things to read that evening as we remember.  It does help to travel together.

With much love

• Upvote 2

Freya was a cat that I dearly loved, but who was a little wild-refused to live indoors. I lost her several times, once getting her back after her being gone for almost a year. So when Freya really did disappear, I really couldn't accept it and had dreams about her for almost 20 years where we would find each other again and run across a field of flowers into each other's arms. I finally would wake up scolding myself-"You have to stop having these dreams-there is no way that cat could possibly still be alive".

Then there was Mitten, whom I had to give up because my allergies and asthma had become so severe. It broke my heart, not only from losing her but believing that I would never be able to have a cat again. I was still having dreams about Freya when I lost Mitten. But amazingly enough, I now have Lena and when I realized that I could tolerate living with a cat I was so ecstatic I wanted to share it-and her-with the world. That's how Lena became a therapy cat...

I am going to light three candles now.

I am lightening a candle in memory and honor of all of our fur-kids who are at the Rainbow Bridge

I am lightening a candle in honor of all the lost souls who have gone to the Rainbow Bridge without knowing how it is to be loved by us human

I am lightening a candle for all the animals who are suffering, in hope all our fur-angels go surround them with love 

• Upvote 2

Beautiful,  Nikki , with the 3 candles - thanks so very much  for sharing it. .

I think it will be good to make this an annual event.   I'm so happy for  all who participated.    We can spread healing, love and light this  way.  

• Upvote 1