Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Please Help Me Decide.....

Nikki D

...whether or not I should let the dog I will sit this weekend use Kura's feeder.

I was finally able to say yes to pup-sit a Greyhound from our rescue group community. He's coming to stay with us this weekend. I pup-sat him before when Kura was still here and I love this laid-back boy, too. But I find myself having a hard time saying yes to let him use Kura's feeder which is still out, just as it used to be. I keep the water bowl out and still change water every day. I haven't been able to wash the feeder stand yet so it still has some of Kura's memories (like his slobber stains and some fur..) :(

A part of me saying yes, let him use it, as Kura wouldn't mind sharing, but another part of me says no, because it will erase Kura's memories. I have extra feeders so I can easily set up another one for the visitor... But I don't know if it makes sense when I already have one that no one is actually using... 

It makes sense to me.  Did the Greyhound use the feeder when Kura was alive?  If so maybe it wouldn't make a difference.  But regardless, it'd be fine to get out another feeder.  It's about what YOU feel comfortable with.  No need to push yourself.

You know, here in the US we have made death this big monster. We dont talk abut the fact that we all die. More importantly, I have made peace with the fact that this is no more a transition then going to work.  Now that I have had the fortune to have two strokes, I am "retired" and now doing what I love - running a non-profit in Arizona that I have brought up to $675,000 from  $3.000 in Arizona.. because I hold the attached saying very close, so I hope it brings you comfort to.

In my view, I have a alter for the ashes of my dogs, some of their hair in a zip lock baggie and 1 memento, usually a collar or a favorite toy to remind me that they are hear, I just cant see them.  I close my eyes and see my self petting them, especially when I am down.  Among other things, we serve Veterans. I cant tell you the number of people who giving us their decease pets belonging so that it will benefit these warriors, who themselves have lost so much.

I agree when you are ready to make a choice, that is the time to do it. There is no right and wrong here,  even if you never do it!  What is so important, please dont confuse the grieving of the loss for you life, with grief from everything else that you have lost. We do service on this planet for such a short time and then we are free! N pain, no suffering or sadness!  Hugs!

death brings life.jpg

• Upvote 1

I can't agree that death is nothing at all for the day my husband died it changed everything in my world.  It's hard not to have sorrow when you miss everything about that person, everything about that life.  It takes hard work to rebuild your life but even then it is nothing compared to your old life.  Every smile seems forced in comparison.

I agree that they are "just around the corner", that they still exist in some form, but that you can't hold them, touch them, hear their voice...it changes everything.  The day my dog dies...I don't know how I'll handle it, I've already had so many losses.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kayc said:

It makes sense to me.  Did the Greyhound use the feeder when Kura was alive?  If so maybe it wouldn't make a difference.  But regardless, it'd be fine to get out another feeder.  It's about what YOU feel comfortable with.  No need to push yourself.

No, we used our extra feeder for him since Kura was still using his then. 

I am actually excited that we'll have a guest hound this weekend. He is as sweet and laid-back as Kura - another gentle giant. 

Thank you kacC and CJ for your inputs. I am really looking forward to the day I see my Kura again. And for that reason, I am not afraid of "dying" anymore, and when the time comes, I will be ready.  

I decided I am not quite ready to let anyone use Kura's feeder yet - well, for now.  I may decide one day to let another use his... 

• Upvote 2

Nikki - you are so right to go with your feelings.   Use another feeder I say.   

I have not been able to let another kitty use Gb's hardness.    It hangs where it always hung with his name on it.   New harnesses for the new kids (if they will ever get used to wearing them)!

Hugs

• Upvote 1

I still have Lucky's leash and she's been dead since 2008.

• Upvote 1

My cockapoo Muffin died in 1989. I still have his collar. My Tibetan terrier Beringer died in 2013 at the age of 14, and I have his collar and tags, too ~ along with some of his baby teeth he lost as a puppy, plus a box of his toys, his dishes, a bag of hair he shed into his coat, and his grooming supplies. These mementos are precious to me and mean the world to me. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

That's so cool, Marty.   I have special boxes with memory items from Ms Neffy and Mr Purr from quite a number of years ago- and now of course my Gb kitty.

• Upvote 1