Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I'm afraid Miss Mocha is gone

kayc

She went outside yesterday morning and I haven't seen her since.  Usually she takes a snooze on the porch swing or the rafters of the garage, but she wasn't there.  She always comes when I call her and I called and called her, nothing.  I was working outside all day and never saw her.  This is not like her, not at all.

I'm afraid something happened to her or she went off to die.  It is catching me completely off guard because I thought she still had years left.  I got her 10 1/2 years ago, after George died.  She seemed to have been abandoned up here and was living in the rafters of the garage.  Once she was in the house, that was it, she was mine.  Wherever she came from must have had a dog because she loved dogs, wasn't afraid of them.  Her and Lucky were especially close, she used to follow Lucky around the yard and do whatever she did. :)  I suspect she'd also been abused because if you tried to reach down and pet her, she'd get concave away from you.  She'd sit on your lap for a minute and let you pet her, but wasn't real comfortable with it, she'd rather lay next to you and push up on you, hogging all the room.  

I had no idea how old she was, she'd had kittens and been spayed, but I couldn't tell if she was two or six or what.  The last couple of years her face has been kind of drawn in and I thought maybe she was older than I'd realized.  Her gums looked worse than Kitty's and Kitty is 20, I know sometimes they figure age by them.  But she still walked good, didn't seem to have arthritis, although she did sleep a lot.  Lately she's been showing me a lot more affection and interaction.

I couldn't sleep last night worrying about her.  There are wild animals around but they usually prey at night and I never let my cats out at night.  I feel so bad, I never saw this coming.  I know some say their cats have left for a week and come back, but she has never ever done that, she liked her comforts, a soft place to lay, warmth, food.  She was the kind that if a door was open, she'd sneak into it, I worry she might be stuck in a neighbor's and them not even know it, no food or water.

Miss Mocha has blue eyes and a black heart shaped nose and is so beautiful, so feminine and dainty.  She's extremely flirtatious with men, rolling from side to side on her back and blink blinking.  She's the most feminine cat I've ever seen.  She has a dainty little meow, she's just so beautiful and sweet.  She's a chair thief, if you leave your chair for one megasecond, she has it.

I just never expected this.  My son, DIL, and grandbaby are coming tomorrow and I can't even focus on it, all I can think about is Miss Mocha.

This picture was taken when she was younger.

Miss Mocha.jpg

• Upvote 2

Kay,

I sure hope that Miss Mocha turns up soon.  I know that you mentioned this is something she doesn't normally do, but I will send lots of prayers and good thoughts for her that she will return home.  She's such a beautiful girl, and I'm sure you are worried sick. 

Do you have neighbors nearby that would check their property for you?  They say that cats usually don't wander far, so hopefully she is just hiding out somewhere - underneath the porch or in someone's garage or shed, maybe?  Possibly, she went into someone's garage and then they closed the door, not realizing she was in there.

Please keep us posted.

Mary

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering if she went off to die...her face really looked drawn and older lately, her gums showed signs of age, she'd been snuggling up to me and talking to me and more interactive lately...maybe she knew she was going to leave soon.  She slept a LOT.  She still walked good though and hadn't lost weight so I just didn't expect this.  She never went beyond across the street or next door and their garages are open.  Then there's the possibility of an animal getting her.  She didn't go into the woods but if she got close a cougar could have grabbed her.  They don't have time to know what happened and you don't usually hear anything because of it.  This just is NOT like her.

• Upvote 2

Oh Kayc ---- I hope your darling Miss Mocha returns.  Or at the very least you learn what has happened.   Having her go off like that is so wrenching.  Along wiih Mary & Enna  I send prayers and positive thoughts.

That's ok about   That's ok about not thinking of your son,etc., coming.   You are without your special companion.   Keep us posted!  If you have neighbors, do check with them.

Hugs

• Upvote 1

Kay, my dear, I am so sorry to learn this awful news about your precious Miss Mocha. I love your description of how feminine a cat she is (I had a cat with that same girly personality, and your words brought back such warm memories of my Freddie). I know the agony that comes when a beloved animal companion goes missing ~ In many ways, it's worse than a death, because of the uncertainty involved. You don't know where she is or what happened to her, and you don't know whether to keep hope alive or to begin grieving the loss of her. It is painful beyond words. I am so, so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and along with all our members, I pray for her safe return to you. 

• Upvote 2

My neighbors haven't seen her, it's likely either she went off to die or a cougar or something got her.  It was broad daylight though and they usually do their prowls at night, also I was outside working all day and heard nothing.  I feel so bad if she went off and died by herself, I never expected this, I thought she had years left.  She usually sleeps with me, last night was awful, I couldn't sleep, I kept going to the patio door hoping to see her image there. :(

• Upvote 1

Oh, no... I am just seeing this. I am so sorry... I hope Miss Mocha is safe and returns home to you soon. Sending good thoughts and prayers. 

Is she micro-chipped? You may want to look into some lost cats (or pets) website that serve your area where you can post her picture. 

• Upvote 1

Oh, Kay...I am so sorry to hear about Miss Mocha! That is so sad-I hope you get a surprise and get her back, but it sounds from what you say that this is unlikely. I love her little black heart-shaped nose-that is about the sweetest thing I ever saw on a cat! It's really hard to have a cat disappear because you don't know for sure. I had a cat that I lost three times, for 11 days, for 11 months, and then forever. But she was a wild one. I have heard that when you lose a dog you widen your search to farther distances, but for a cat you narrow your search because they usually don't go very far.

I am so sorry, and really feel for you...

Laura

• Upvote 1

She's not lost, she's dead, she would never run away, she's never done this.  I understand some cats do, but she isn't one of them.  She picked this as her home and has been here 10 1/2 years and I don't know how old she was when she came to me, but she'd had kittens and been spayed before me.

I searched the woods behind my home and the two neighboring properties but nothing.  It's pretty hard to cover though, there's some areas thick with brush I couldn't get into.  

• Upvote 1

No, I don't.  She pretty much looks the same except a little thinner in the face.

• Upvote 1

They saw her picture that's posted here. Neither one of them got that Miss Mocha is gone yet. If she has gone off to die, it would be happening sooner rather than later, but they see that she is genuinely lost and doesn't know where she is. 

I don't think she could wander off and get lost, she's lived here for 10 1/2 years.  It's actually more unsettling to me that she'd be alive and in trouble than be dead.  

I am very sorry that it upset you even more. :( 

The reading can be wrong for two reasons; one is, as I mentioned, they are not animal communicators (they communicate with human spirits), and the second is the picture isn't recent one...  You've lived with her many years so your instinct is probably right.  

There's actually no way to feel good about this situation, the only thing that would help is seeing her at the door, but I seriously doubt that.  It's either she went off to die, or an animal got her and I didn't see the dying coming, nor did I hear or see anything that indicated an attack, but they can be very quick and not leave traces.  I just hope she didn't suffer too much and it was over quickly before her brain had time to process it.  I hope she went into a numb like state that protected her from what was going on.  I miss her.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's pretty hard to sleep without her, I wake up in the wee hours thinking about her.  I miss her.  I just thought I'd have her a lot more years.

• Upvote 2

Oh, Kay, again, I'm so sorry she has left,.    I know about that business of trying to sleep when they have slept with us for years.  

I wish you could have an answer.

Sendings love thoughts.

• Upvote 1

It is tough, it just feels empty without her. :(  Our "family" isn't complete.  And I'm worried about her, it's hard not knowing concretely what happened.  I believe she is dead but I don't know how long it took or how much she suffered, and that hurts me.

• Upvote 2

Thank you.  I don't think I'll ever know.  I've searched the woods and talked to neighbors...nothing.  It takes such a small place for her to hide.  If an owl or something got her, they would have carried her off so there would be no remains.  When a cougar got my cat, Chappy, years ago, there were no remains found.  When my cat, Autumn, went off to die, we never found her bones.  Sometimes we don't get answers, much as we might want them.  It makes closure hard to come to, but we do have to accept it nonetheless, it's just a process, and it takes time.  I will always miss her.  I haven't been able to cry until now.  She was so sweet, so beautiful, I've never had a cat like her.

• Upvote 4