Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Pets are a tool for healing, right?

Clematis

I wasn't sure where to put this, abut wanted you guys to see it. Lena is near the end looking very clever, and wearing an alien tag as she appears to be driving the car..

• Upvote 2

Oh, Yes, Laura. Pets are wonderful healers. How could they not be! They love us unconditionally. I miss my Benji but am thinking of getting another rescue dog. I am feeling the need to bring life back into my home. It is very, very quiet. I need to focus on my health right now. My Schipperke/Poodle was so alert and funny. I miss him. :wub: 

• Upvote 3

Oh Anne, I hope you do!  You have a lot of love to give.  I was thinking about that with my loss of Miss Mocha, how glad I am that I shared my home and life with her all these years.  Kitty and her never did like each other, they learned to tolerate one another and coexist, so I probably won't get another cat as long as Kitty is still alive, but it's a thought for someday, I can still offer a home to another animal in need.  Honestly, my pets have been my incentive to keep going, much of the time.  I can't imagine how empty and lonely this house would be without them to come home to.  I don't remember a time I haven't had a pet, except a short period 40 years ago.

• Upvote 2

I was thinking it might be good for us to have a place to share things about our fur-babies that are keeping us together. Honestly, I don't know how I would be getting through this without Lena.

She was also very helpful when my dad was alive, and really took care of him. When we got to his house, she would pitch a fit of meowing for me to hurry up, unbuckle, and get the ignition off. Then she would drag me to the door-cats can run about 30mph and I was way too slow. When we left I'd carry her over to him to say goodbye and he'd tell her, "Take care of my girl, Lena!" or "Take good care of Laura now"

Toward the end, she really got involved, , lying on his bed, visiting at the SNF (skilled nursing facility), and being devoted and territorial about him. After his last bad fall in the house, I got him a pillow and a blanket, and Lena roosted on top of him while we waited for the paramedics. She didn't want to get off of him or let the paramedics near him. Here they are at home, and Lena is roosting between his feet at the SNF. He was at the SNF for five days respite for me and now we go there and volunteer. It's been six months since my dad was there, but she always stops at the door of the room he was in and has a look...

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

There is Lena, in the photo above, lying between my dad's feet as he lay in bed at the SNF (skilled nursing facility) where he had five days respite (for me) near the end. Lena the therapy cat and I have been volunteering there for the last few months.

Today we were at this SNF; we were to there to see Lena's "regulars" there, and the nurse asked us to see a lady who, as it turns out is near the end with a brain tumor. They just couldn't get her comfortable with medications of anything, but the woman was a real cat lover. The lady was a little confused and thought Lena was her long gone black kitty "Big Boy". Lena got onto the bed and snuggled into the arms of the woman, who fell asleep with her cheek nestled against Lena's silky head. They stayed like that for 30 minutes or so, until she rolled over and Lena stretched and stood up. I guess the two decided the visit was over... 

All cats are amazing, but Lena is beyond my comprehension...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lena stars in a new YouTube video to celebrate National Black Cat Day, November 17! Glo, the woman who made it, sent it to me last night.

• Upvote 2

Kitty says, for the record, that that is discrimination! :D  They don't have a special day for her, but I think every day is her special day as she really has it good here.

They say black cats are the least adopted, they often put them at half price to place them.  It's hard to understand, they are beautiful, but I think there's some cultural superstitions that still prevail.  I had an all black cat once, "Midnight" (I know, original, huh!  I let my five year old name him).
Lena looks very beautiful here, but then she always does!  What beautiful eyes she has!  Kitty also has big round green eyes, but I love the color of Lena's!

She's making hay with that feather toy!

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Kitty says, for the record, that that is discrimination! :D  They don't have a special day for her, but I think every day is her special day as she really has it good here.

Tell Kitty to pay more attention to the calendar...she may have missed National Cat Day a few weeks ago, and there are other cat holidays as well. 

I am so glad you both enjoyed Lena's video. Lena worked hard on her special day, going to two of her jobs. Two boys read to her at an elementary school; I think they are finding reading to be more exciting than they ever dreamed. She especially likes it when the stories include her favorite words; Hungry, Chicken, Tuna, Shrimp, Cat Treat, Lena...you know, the really important words. One of the boys also writes stories for Lena, and they both enjoy inserting the word Chicken into the text to get her to look at them. That means they have to focus on comprehension so that they know where they can logically insert the word Chicken. Seems like a good exercise for a struggling reader. 

Lena also went to an Assisted Living place, where the residents were thrilled to have a kitty visitor lie on their beds, purring, snuggling, and leaving them with a sorrowful farewell and a little souvenir photo of herself. Lena always mews like her little heart is breaking when a visit ends, and it seems mutual. People are always offering to keep her, hide her under their covers, etc. It is very sweet...I am so grateful to have the opportunity to share my cat with cat-less cat lovers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kayc said:

... They don't have a special day for her, but I think every day is her special day as she really has it good here....

Kitty has good reason to celebrate every day. Here are some other days to put on her calendar and have you pay close attention to. Next one for her is Happy Mew Year for Cats Day on January 2... And maybe she knows a Mutt who she could celebrate and share treats with on December 2, National Mutt Day, or tell him to take a hike during January, National Walk Your Dog Month. Or, give the training only a cat can give during National Train Your Dog Month!

http://www.holidays-and-observances.com/pet-holidays.html

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2016 at 10:15 AM, enna said:

I loved the video. I loved the purring. I am relaxed. :wub: Thank you, Laura, for posting this. I'll be back for another session. 

Lena gives souvenir photos to her friends every time she does a therapy visit. Here are some for you Anne, and for Lena's other online friends =^. .^=

XMas Montage 2016-1.jpgXMas Montage 2016-2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thank you, Anne. Lena is very sweet; I have been blessed to have such a wonderful companion in a pet during the last year. And she's so much fun and photogenic. I have learned a lot from her - it really has been an interesting endeavor to have such an engaging pet. 

• Upvote 1

She needs to be a calendar cat!  She's beautiful, and looks fabulous in her holiday clothes!

• Upvote 1

On 11/26/2016 at 9:47 AM, kayc said:

She needs to be a calendar cat!  She's beautiful, and looks fabulous in her holiday clothes!

A calendar cat! You're right!

8 minutes ago, lattiee said:

What a pretty cat we have a almost 12 yr old cat Mr Blackie. 

How is Mr Blackie now? Do you have a picture of him?

He is lucky to be rescued and in a home where he is loved!

Leans working very hard and has a new job working in counterintelligence, as you can see in these photos. When she gets a hot tip that the spy cat is about, she runs to her post atop the cat tree, meowing all the way to let me know. I take photos and email them to the property manager, who is building a case against this horrible neighbor. The loud music with all that bass that rattles the walls is hard to document since it is too low to record well, and that is what is exacerbating my headaches. But the illegally parked car and the neighbor's cat, who is not supposed to be at large, are other rule violations and easier to document - especially with Lena's help. Lena gets paid off in chicken for each confirmed report of spy activity. Lena is rather eager to do this. That cat has been taunting her for years, running around outside. And now the spy cat has to watch Lena eat chicken tidbits inside.

Lena is also by my side learning Turkish and has learned several words, most notably "kedi" (cat), "kedim" (my cat), "tavuk" (chicken), and naturally, "turkey". There is a woman at a skilled nursing facility that Lena and I visit who speaks only Turkish. She was SO happy yesterday when we saw her yesterday and I said, "Merhaba" (hello) and her name in Turkish - she said "Merhaba" several times and threw her arms around me. She loves to talk, and although I don't understand most of what she says, I did learn a few new words from her, to her delight. 

IMG_2113.jpgIMG_2101.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Clematis said:

She was SO happy yesterday when we saw her yesterday and I said, "Merhaba" (hello) and her name in Turkish - she said "Merhaba" several times and threw her arms around me.

Oh Laura, that is so sweet!  I bet it meant the world to her just to hear a couple of words in her own language.

Congratulate Lena for her job well done in counterintelligence! :D

Lena is a genius! Actually, the truth is that probably many cats could do what Lena does; most just don't have the opportunity.

It's fun to talk to this Turkish lady and get to learn some of her language. I feel for her; it must be very isolating to spend one's days and nights in a place where one cannot effectively communicate. I think they try very hard to be sensitive to her, and her daughter sees her frequently, but still... If I were in her place I would think it was great to have a special visitor with a cat come and try to talk to me.

• Upvote 2

And you and Lena are such sweet dears to do it!

• Upvote 1

Lena is such an amazing therapy cat -I can't even begin to understand how she does what she does. Today Lena was visiting a woman who was in her last hours of life. The woman was in considerable distress, and the pain medication wasn’t adequate. She was moaning, crying out and even screaming. Some of the staff and residents were rattled, but Lena snuggled up to this life-long cat lover and didn't budge. I sat with them at the bedside, guiding the woman's hand to stroke the cat’s fur over and over as she had done so many times herself. We stayed there for some time and the nurse came in and checked on us several times, nodding her head each time. After a while the woman calmed and quieted. The woman made a gesture with her hand, and Lena meowed and got up; both signaling that the visit was over. 

Then Lena and I went across the hall for a pet visit with another resident who was quite distressed by listening to the moaning and crying all day. I tried to comfort and reassure her as she petted Lena and fed her treats. I hardly took my eyes off the cat during all of this and never thought about it because I had to make sure Lena was ok. Bending my head down like that really gave me a headache, but it was an honor to work with Lena and be able to help this woman. 

We also spent some time (first) with the Turkish woman. I have an app on my phone from which I am learning Turkish. We went through a short unit together, while she petted Lena. She was very engaged in using this app and followed it closely, correcting my pronunciation enthusiastically as we went. It was great, and amazing that two weeks ago I only knew three words in Turkish. Now we can actually converse in a very limited way. The activities director told me that this woman's daughter had reported that she used to speak English well but she lost her English as she developed dementia. It seems very sad that she seems so isolated there, but it is nice to see her light up when I come in with Lena and have a little chat with her in the only language she has left.

• Upvote 3