Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Parent's Anniversary

KatieC

Today is my parent's 28th anniversary.  Unfortunately, my dad passed away 3 months ago unexpectedly at a very young age.  I have mixed feelings about the day.  My heart goes out to my mother.  I want to fix her pain but I know I can't.  I decided to surprise her this morning when she woke up to an anniversary card and some flowers.  My dad wasn't a flower-giving person so I wasn't trying to fill the void but rather brighten this day for her.  She went to the graveside.  She even brought our dog.  She then went on a hike.  All alone. I know that she needs that but it is hard to let her be alone.  It's hard to let her hurt.  But I know I can't fill the void that his passing has left.  But today is hard for me.  I can't even imagine being her.  Since she is all alone in the house for a couple days, including today, I set her all up.  I have romantic movies, comedic movies, junk food, etc. to take advantage of.  Just hoping this gets easier.

• Upvote 1

She is very lucky to have a daughter like you!  She probably needed that time alone, but I'm sure she'll welcome your thoughtfulness, movies, junk food, etc. :)