Grief Healing Discussion Groups

It's hit me.

I woke and my mom's death has hit me like a ton of bricks.  I don't even have the words.  Other than utter loss.  Hurt.  Pain.  She was there from day one of my life.  And that includes nine months prior to being born.  I mean how special are moms... I was and still am honored to be her son.  However I miss her something fierce. My heart hurts.  :(

Butch

:wub:  There are no words. :(

• Upvote 1

Butch, of course it hurts terribly to lose your mom; after all she gave you life and has been in your life forever. But, how lucky you are to have had her there for you for all those years. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of people who have parents that live to old age. My dad died when I was just 26 and my mom passed when I was 43. 

Cherish her memory and I hope your sadness turns to thoughts of how blessed you were to have her in your life for so long.

My belated condolences on your loss.

• Upvote 2

Moms Angel,

im sorry youre missing your mom too.  Mine just passed a week and a half ago and I'm 57 but feel like a child because I was her child.  She cared for me so well so easily even after I married and my wife passed and had a son of my own.  And grandchildren.  They were our moms... We had them since before birth.  That's why we miss and need them so badly.  ❤️

Hugs

Butch

• Upvote 2

It is SO hard losing your parents. My mother has been gone 11 years, but since I talked my dad into moving from PA to AZ to be with me, it was kind of like he brought part of he with him, because all the memories and a lot of he things were here with him. I was a lot closer to my dad than my mother all along, but it was kind of like losing her all over again along with him. I also lost ties to my grandparents on both sides along with my dad, his brother was long gone. Then my mother's sister died three months after my dad. and my sisters stopped talking to me after my dad's celebration of life and my aunt's memorial.

My entire family is gone and I have a bunch of photos, and items of all kinds. Some of them I know about and some of them are mysteries because there is no one to ask. Sometimes I come across indications as to where things came from. It is really hard...

Butch,

My mom was not one who would have earned an award for her parenting, but she was MY mom, and that made her #1 mom to me...I still miss her and think of her often.  She had mental issues but once in a while I could talk to her, I miss that.  There were things I admired about her.  She was a better housekeeper than me as she's a throw away person and I'm a keeper, and she had landscaping talents I didn't inherit.  I learned my sewing from her and inherited her gift of organization.  Sometimes I catch myself doing something and it reminds me of her...like how I organize everything in the refrigerator by labeling everything with what it is and the date (masking tape).  My mom couldn't live without masking tape.  She had all her reminders on masking tape on the front door (I use my Google calendar for that).  She was much more disciplined than I am with her eating.  (I eat healthy but it's the extras that get me.)  She struggled after my dad died, her house getting older and older and now I find myself in the same position.  I'm better at budgeting than her.  My sense of humor you can blame on my dad. :D  I wish I would have got his mellow disposition but maybe I would have had to take up drinking for that.  Instead I got my mom's anxiety and overreacting.

We get all of these traits from our parents and after they're gone we catch ourselves doing something like them and then it hits us hard, how we miss them.  I got my researching and teaching from my mom.  So did my son.  It seems everything we are we can trace back to them.

I understand your missing your mom.  They've been there for us our whole lives, since before we were born.  I hope you do get the chance to get away and reflect and just take time to absorb all that has happened.  Gracie and the boys will be waiting for you when you come home.

• Upvote 1