Grief Healing Discussion Groups

10 months and visit from Grandad

Hello everyone

It's been a little while since I posted anything and the last few months have been hectic in both good and bad ways. It's 10 months today since I lost my dearly loved Grandad to cancer and I still think about him every single day even if it's in very small subtle ways. I also feel him around me all the time and several times there have been visits and signs from him to tell me he is with me and walking at my side. In fact one of those little signs happened today exactly 10 months since his passing when I caught a very brief but very strong smell of him, of how he used to smell to me as a little kid, the smell of his clothes and his house. He was sitting with me as I ate my evening meal and I said hello to him in my own way internally. I miss him every day and some days are harder than others but knowing that he comes to see me and leaves me signs of his continued presence in my life is helping to get me through every day. 

• Upvote 3

Hello, That sounds like a very touching experience, to suddenly have the smell of him as he was when you were a little kid, and to have him sitting with you as he used to do. I lost my dad five months ago, and we were really close. He had Parkinson's and I took care of him for the last ten years of his life. I miss him every day-sometimes it is bearable and sometimes it is terrible. But he comes to see me and his presence is my life is with me every day. Frequently I hear him talking to me and sometimes I feel him come and sit next to me. I feel him in the car, kind of hovering around but not sitting in the passenger seat, which is frequently occupied by either my cat Lena or my cello (Mister Cello), whose case has a face and wears a hat and a bunch of other stuff. I guess he doesn't want to fit in the back seat or share with the cat or cello, but I know that he is there somewhere. It's far from having his living self with me...

24 minutes ago, TomP89 said:

... but knowing that he comes to see me and leaves me signs of his continued presence in my life is helping to get me through every day. 

It sounds like you feel like he is helping you get through things...that is really good. I miss my dad so much that sometimes I feel like I can't breathe of swallow. However, I supposed it would be worse if he wasn't hanging around.