Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Can't Stand the Thought of losing my husband

My husband started chemotherapy and radiation today. He has 3-6 months with no treatment and 1-2 years with treatment. So we are doing treatment. Made it real today starting treatment. My best friend moved 2000 miles away a year ago. I have my sister but she is a single mom of 5 kids. I don't have many other friends. Where can I make friends at a time like this? Any ideas? I can't stand the thought of being alone when my husband passes. 

It's going to be difficult to build friendships in the traditional way while you are going through this.  You will be busy caring for him and many people may worry that they don't know what to do or say.  I would highly recommend a caregiver support group. They can often be found a local hospitals.  If you want to try meeting people outside of that realm I'd look into book clubs or volunteering.  There is a site called meetup.com, that has many groups from book clubs, to writing groups and yoga groups etc.

• Upvote 4

My biggest support is from the members of the church I attend. I had actually switched congregations just a few months before my husband diet unexpectedly. they are a very caring, supportive group of people.  After the funeral, they totally took care of the luncheon in my home. From setup, to food , to clean up. Jeff and I had our house half vinyl sided when he died. They offered to come & help me finish the siding. I actually declined at first, it was something I just wanted to do myself to keep me busy. They did come to help when i got to the peaks which were to hard to do with 1 person.   Another place I have made some new friends is at a Zumba group in our area. That group is nice because while they are supportive about his death, they represent to me a start of a different life without Jeff, because none of them knew him.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Girlonfire said:

My husband started chemotherapy and radiation today. He has 3-6 months with no treatment and 1-2 years with treatment. So we are doing treatment. Made it real today starting treatment. My best friend moved 2000 miles away a year ago. I have my sister but she is a single mom of 5 kids. I don't have many other friends. Where can I make friends at a time like this? Any ideas? I can't stand the thought of being alone when my husband passes. 

As mentioned before, check to see if there is a support group through the hospital, many have them, or would perhaps know of one to refer you to?  Also, Hospice may have some help for you?  It IS hard to go it alone.....at the very least, you have us, here in this forum.....although I understand how having someone "in person" is more what you are wishing for. Hugs for you....

• Upvote 1

You all gave some excellent suggestions so I have nothing to add but my thoughts and prayers are with you.