Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Is it normal to feel paralyzed?

Your body needs nutrition and hydration in order to function, whether you fell hungry or thirsty or not. That is part of the reason that you feel physically weak. Try eating smaller amounts of nutritious foods several times a day, rather than trying to prepare and eat three square meals. Remind yourself to drink a glass of water several times throughout the day. Again, my dear, start small. If eating something and drinking water are your only goals for today, then let them be enough. Set the bar low enough that you'll be able to achieve your goals. Baby steps are still steps, and any forward movement is better than standing still. ;)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Gettingthrough79 said:

I have so many affairs I need to handle and barely make it from the bed to the couch.

My chest is heavy and I feel physically weak.

I've done what I can..reached out to counselors, switched meds, but yet I can't seem to move. Ive forced myself but haven't eaten and find it hard to do the simplest of things. 

You need to take care of yourself as much as possible.  Try just a little bit at a time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MartyT said:

Your body needs nutrition and hydration in order to function, whether you fell hungry or thirsty or not. That is part of the reason that you feel physically weak. Try eating smaller amounts of nutritious foods several times a day, rather than trying to prepare and eat three square meals. Remind yourself to drink a glass of water several times throughout the day. Again, my dear, start small. If eating something and drinking water are your only goals for today, then let them be enough. Set the bar low enough that you'll be able to achieve your goals. Baby steps are still steps, and any forward movement is better than standing still. ;)

I managed to sit in the backyard for awhile and eat half a sandwich.

How can that feel like such a task? 

• Upvote 3

I keep Kale Smoothies on hand all the time and drink one a day.  To make a batch, put in blender 1 banana, 2 c. chopped kale, 2 c. chopped celery, squirt of lemon juice, 1/2 jar applesauce, and water to consistency you like (otherwise it comes out really thick).  Blend, one batch stores nicely in applesauce jar.  Drink 1 cup day.
or
Spinach Smoothie:

2 Yogurts, 2 bananas, a bunch of spinach, berries, honey optional.  As you can see I don't really measure anything, I just throw in what looks right. :)

It's a good way to get some nutrition in!  My nephew eats Spinach Smooties and also adds protein powder and granola so he gets all his food groups in without having to eat.  Being diabetic I tend to graze rather than cook big meals, besides, living alone, who feels like it?  As long as I get all my nutrition in, I'm good!

Another thing I do is slice a lemon in a lot of slices, cut them all in half, put them on a baking tray and freeze, then pop them all in a baggie & store in freezer.  Whenever I drink a glass of water, I add one to it, tastes much better and is cleansing!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Gettingthrough79 said:

I managed to sit in the backyard for awhile and eat half a sandwich.

How can that feel like such a task? 

Because progress is movement and movement is a form of exercise.  Our bodies are designed to move.  I literally had trouble breathing regularly as the grief pain would take my breath away.  I could only look at a moment at a time for a day was too long.  You can get through it.  I also had trouble sleeping only getting two hours of sleep a day.  Friends in this group suggested I go to the doctor to get help from my regular physician to help my mind just slow down and relax.  I resisted at first but knew it was a good suggestion so followed it.  Grief pain hurts deep and takes a lot of energy.  Crying actually releases energy, tension, and reduces the cortisol levels that keep us stressed. I don't like to cry but it helps. You can do it even when you don't FEEL like it.  Feelings are not facts.  Our emotions can be tricked by them.  I am learning to find out what i am supposed to be learning about them and this grief journey. we support you and a rooting for you.  I am praying for you. - Shalom George  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

Because progress is movement and movement is a form of exercise.  Our bodies are designed to move.  I literally had trouble breathing regularly as the grief pain would take my breath away.  I could only look at a moment at a time for a day was too long.  You can get through it.  I also had trouble sleeping only getting two hours of sleep a day.  Friends in this group suggested I go to the doctor to get help from my regular physician to help my mind just slow down and relax.  I resisted at first but knew it was a good suggestion so followed it.  Grief pain hurts deep and takes a lot of energy.  Crying actually releases energy, tension, and reduces the cortisol levels that keep us stressed. I don't like to cry but it helps. You can do it even when you don't FEEL like it.  Feelings are not facts.  Our emotions can be tricked by them.  I am learning to find out what i am supposed to be learning about them and this grief journey. we support you and a rooting for you.  I am praying for you. - Shalom George  

I have trouble catching my breath too.

I make it halfway up the stairs and have to sit.

My car is totaled so that's bringing more anxiety. I need to get out of my house to do things but then again maybe it's better I'm not even behind the wheel feeling this terrible.

In my recent experiences, in the weeks and months after my loss, feeling paralyzed was a thing. I definitely felt that. Physically weak, too. Breathing problems yes. Shaking. Anxiety, panic. Sense of dread was the worst thing.

Half eaten sandwich is definitely a victory, so well done. Try setting very small targets.

• Upvote 1

She's going through more than grief, she has a lot of things she's facing at once, it's got to feel overwhelming, which can render us feeling paralyzed.  Yes, tackle things one at a time, start small, it will help you see your way above water again.

• Upvote 2

On 9/22/2016 at 3:53 PM, kayc said:

She's going through more than grief, she has a lot of things she's facing at once, it's got to feel overwhelming, which can render us feeling paralyzed.  Yes, tackle things one at a time, start small, it will help you see your way above water again.

Thankyou kayc for understanding  <3

• Upvote 1