Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after two years...

Oh George, I'm so sorry!  I don't suppose any neighbors have plows to help you?  I have neighbors with plows but they never help, I shovel it all out myself.  Can you park on the road while you shovel the driveway out?  I'm glad no serious damage to your car.  Homeowner's insurance?

• Like 1

The tree just leaned over on my car.  No one owns snow plows here. We are only 20 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.  We hardly ever get snow except the day my wife Rose Anne died.   I had a deacon from my church called and helped me clear my driveway to the street.  The tree will be chopped down later when it warms up.   The low temperatures for the last three days and next two will be down to 7* F. (extremely low for our area.)  Warmer temps are predicted on Monday/Tuesday and later for the week. 

I have three full days of cleaning to catch up on so next week I'll be working some long hours. I have a cleaning that must be done before Monday so I plan to venture out and get that one cleaned. This blizzard storm is so unusual for the whole east coast this time of year.  I'll be happy to not see anymore snow.

Our local weather forecaster today said, " Snow is WET!"  I'll add that it is heavy and hard to shovel and clear.  It is strange to not be working when you are scheduled to work. Hopefully our schedules will return to normal soon! - Shalom ;)    

• Like 1

I hate wet snow for that very reason, it's extremely heavy and hard to shovel!  Lord knows I've done a ton of it in my life.  I have a 40' ramp, pathway to the driveway, double driveway, and pathway to the firewood to shovel out, it's a lot.  My driveway is long too.  You're in my thoughts and prayers, George.  Don't shovel more than 1/2 hour at a time and then take a break.  I don't want you having a stroke!  No kidding, this is HARD work!  It may take a lot longer but it's safer.  I usually do 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off.  Hydrate yourself on your breaks.  When I've pushed myself and shoveled longer than I should have, I've remained flushed for hours...somehow I don't think that's good for us older folks!  We aren't in our 20s anymore.  

• Like 1

My flatlander cousin (one year older than me) lives off of Lake Michigan with her husband.  They live in the northern country to see their grandkids grow up.  Both of their grown boys married north country women and are doctors (thank goodness) cause flatlanders moving to foreign soils need medical help often, and advice about health.  They have adapted.  George, Tom, Kay, Kevin, Gwen, all you "northern" people, what little experience I had with snow I can do without.  But you adapt to what you have known all your life.  My cousin even drives to the basketball games of all her grandchildren, who are almost out of school now.  But what an opportunity, she has made new customs for reunions that we grew up with as cousins and her grandchildren will carry this on long after we all are gone.  Life goes on.  But, Kay's experience sounds like good advice.  Picture is a couple of blocks off of Lake Michigan.  I think there is a picnic table somewhere in the picture.

snow.jpg

• Like 2

Marg,

When I was pregnant with my daughter, 36 years ago, we got six feet of snow at once!  My husband worked for the highway department and couldn't get off to shovel, etc., that was always left to me.  I came home from church and my car stopped right in front of my place, so I left it be and went inside my house.  I couldn't open/close my bedroom door from the weight of the snow on the roof.  I knew the roof was in danger of collapsing (it's a mobile home).  My telephone went dead.  There was nothing I could do but pray so I did.  The doctor would have shot me if I'd have tried to get on the roof in my condition.  Pretty soon a couple of guys from our church came by, said they wanted to see how much snow we had.  No one in their right mind would go out in it!  I would have skipped church had I known how much it was going to come down!  They shoveled until dark, even a neighbor joined in.  The only time I ever saw that neighbor help anyone.  We gave them each $50, a lot of money back then (to us).  It saved our house.  It was actually in 81 (winter 81/82) because I remember it was right before Thanksgiving, we got them turkeys.  I hope to never see six feet of snow again!  I've had three and four feet since, but really, one or two feet is more than plenty for me at my age.  :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is another snowstorm that will arrive this area around 1pm today, Wednesday.  Freezing temperatures and 1-3 inches of snow. I have work scheduled this afternoon but have decided to cancel and reschedule. 

I caught the flu from one of my clients last week and it's been miserable.  I ran a high temperature for four days (101*) my normal temperature is 75.5(low Thyroid function). Vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, sneezing, headaches, no appetite. I didn't eat for 2.5 days.  .. miserable, slept 12 hours a day to help my body recover.  My fever broke last night but I still am weak with a persistent couch. This flu strain is very rough.  I believe I got run down with all of the extra work the previous week.

I am on the mend finally. My regular appetite is returning.

Major ice from snow freezing predicted tomorrow morning so I will reschedule that work too!. 

Oh, yes,.   My Business computer died so I need to buy another one...  life there is always something.

I watched this last night and wanted to share with all: 

My reality is accepting life as it is NOW and not how I wish it would be. Find your PASSION and make it your goal. - Shalom

• Like 2

I'm sorry you have been ill.  So many of my friends have had this flu also.  I believe my son was one of the first around me to have this flu and it put him down for quite a few days.  His cough seemed to stay for a very long time and now he is well again.  Other friends have it also.  All of our immunity is impaired so everyone, please be careful out there.  We still have snow on the ground (we are in the very northern part of Louisiana, but I saw pictures where New Orleans (over 300 miles away, south)    So, I guess no place is safe from this cold, maybe our friends in Florida and south Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.  You all be careful out there.  If the flu bug is going to find us though, I guess no place is safe.  It is good to know your immune system kicked in George and hope the weather slows down to protect your job.  It seems your flu came at a slow down in your job, so I wish you good health.  

• Like 1

Oh George, I'm so sorry!  The flu,. snow, AND business computer dying all at once?!!  That's too much.  I hope you have a good backup!  I need to get my laptop back from my son as it makes me nervous just having this ten year old PC and nothing else to put my backup on.  (He's replacing Windows 10 with Windows 7 for me).

I wish I was there to help you shovel snow.  It's expected to roll in here tomorrow night on...

My daughter hasn't fully recovered from the flu she had for a MONTH, so I'm glad you're feeling better after a week!  This is some hard hitting stuff, I understand there's two different strains making their way around.  I'm trying not to let anyone breathe on me.

• Like 1

I have some friends that are recovering from the flu.  One a nurse who went back to work too soon.  They are having difficulty after the fever has gone, so I think it is important to follow the same regimen that you followed while you were ill.  It is just going to take time.  One of my friend's family is in ICU right now with breathing difficulties from the residuals of this "flu" that they are calling it.  People are having to make a living so they go back to work too soon.  This is something I have no answer for.  I remember having it one year and the cough would not leave.  The hydrocodone cough syrup helped, but I was afraid to call for a refill.  It lasted longer than that one bottle.  So, I filled the bottle with peach brandy and when I coughed at work I would take a swig of my "cough syrup."  No one was the wiser and I enjoyed my job much more also. :P

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Marg M said:

People are having to make a living so they go back to work too soon. 

That's how crazy this world is.

If I get sick and miss going to the office more than 3 days, my bonus-is discounted. If I miss more than a week, my salary is affected. The result, people go to work even if they are sick and unable to perform tasks. And spend their weekends trying to recover from sickness.Cause presence counts more, in the office world. And HR works for the company, not for workers.

Humanity is getting lost beyond the necessity of production and consuption. 

• Like 3

One of my friends is in the ER right now, did have the flu, think it is pneumonia now.  She is early 50's.  Where is this stuff coming from?  Please be careful y'all.  I was getting my granddaughter's prescription for iron (she is anemic), the woman in front of me coughed and unlike me, it unnerved me.  

• Like 1

I have not worked since last Friday. I tried to work on Monday but there was no one to let me in to clean.  Snow came Wednesday afternoon so I wisely rescheduled it to Saturday and one of today's work to Saturday, too. So Tomorrow will be my first job this week that I get paid. 

I'm not worried, I needed the time to rest and recover.  I still have a residue cough and still weak but I'm getting better.  The local temperatures are going back up into the 60* from the lows of 20* yesterday.  I'm thankful, I have saved up a rainy day fund for weeks like this.  I'm sorry to here about others problems with this nasty flu strain.  Stay safe everyone.

scba, it's true that everyone says, "Stay home and don't spread the germs"  In my business we have no PAID sick days, vacation, or time off.  Our health needs to be our individual priority because we are responsible to ourselves to take the best care of ourselves.  Even when we don't FEEL like it.   It is so hard when it affects our income and livelihood. It's an individual call.  Stay safe. - Shalom

• Like 1

George, 

My daughter was sick with the flu for over a month, has no rainy day fund, and could not work, her husband got it and has been off work.  No sick leave, she cleans houses and works for a farm (not as much work in the winter).  They barely made rent.  She still has no stamina, is tired, trying to build her immunities back.  This is nasty stuff, take your time with it!

• Like 1

I came home tonight after a long day of work.  And found that someone had cut down my felled tree,  cut the branches into refuse size (4ft) sections and neatly stacked on the curb to be picked up.  I don't know who did it but I believe it was a deacon from my Church.

My energy is almost back to normal with less coughing each day and no fever.

I also got some great news about my Dad today!.   God is merciful and gracious.  - Shalom

• Like 7

George, it is so good to see we have good people in this world.  Wish more people would report good things like that on the news.  We have got to where we are afraid to see some famous person is "pending" for news..  Good to hear good news about your dad too.  Now, go rest up and take care of yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

George,

I'm glad someone cared about you to do this!  And so glad you have good news about your dad too!

• Like 2

I found out it is my next door neighbor.  He has lived in his home longer than me almost 30 years.  :D

I am building my next business computer when all of the part come in.  I've always wanted to do this and I can save money by building it myself.  It's a large project. YouTube videos are great.  Now just waiting for all of the parts to arrive.  This is another dream of mine.  Exciting and challenging. 

I'm also trying to reconfigure my printer to print  in wireless mode. My Quarterly Tax reports are due at the end of the month along with my clients payment envelopes.

... And my newly transferred mortgage company has increased my premium by $135 month because of some "wording issues.  My escrow payments are the same.  It is just the Escrow Department's "INTERPRETATION" of word meanings.  They want to collect the additional each month for a years just to reimburse me at the end of the year.  It's amazing how other people try to wrestle control of our lives!.  I'll be making calls and inquiries tomorrow until I get a resolution. - Shalom :D

Wow, that's a lot to suddenly increase it by.  And I thought most companies were no longer collecting escrow payments, mine doesn't.  Of course they like doing that, they can get interest on YOUR money all year!

God bless your neighbor!

This new Mortgage servicing company just paid my home owner's Insurance of $548.64 which was 30% of the assessed premium of $1,826.99.  I have never paid more than 30%.  However this company now wants to escrow the FULL amount  for the year and then refund me the difference at the end of the year.  I have had this insurance company for over twenty years and the PREMIUM actually charged has never been at 100% of assessed value

After the first Full year of payment (20 years ago), I was paying as low as 5% of the assessed value.  This company is one of the oldest and most reliable companies that have been in business for over 200 years.  Despite proving to the mortgage servicing company what my premiums have been for the last ten years, common sense does not seem to work for this department.  I am going to keep pursing them until they get it corrected.  I'll keep going up the bosses ladder until I reach someone who can make a good common sense decision.

Hi George. My husband has been in the insurance industry for many years. I just shared the contents of your post with him, and he said it sounds as if the issue is with the company that is servicing your mortgage, and not with your insurance company, since the mortgage servicing company is the one who's deciding when and how much to pay the insurance company. Maybe you're climbing the wrong ladder? Just a thought . . . 

• Like 1

I took it to mean he was taking it up with the mortgage servicing company, not the insurance company.  I just want to know how you get such great premiums!  I have an older mobile home  on rural property with forest and creek, and it's insured through Foremost (most insurance companies won't touch 40 year old mobile homes).  My premium last year was $845.00.  A neighbor down the street pays about $360 for his bigger, newer mobile home on property twice my size and gets to insure it through his regular insurance.  Go figure.

• Like 1