Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom lost to Cancer

It's been 2 years since I lost my mom to cancer. She was 66 and so full of life. I have no other family here besides my husband and 2 daughters. She was our family. I feel like I was cheated. I write to her in a journal all the time. I listen to her old voicemails, I pretend she walks back into our lives. I haven't accepted her death. I don't have family here or any good friends. I used to do everything with her. Now everything is so lonely. I have amazing times with my husband and 2 kids but I feel like I need more. Before, it used to be her. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry, I lost my mom (dementia) 2 1/2 years ago.  I still feel the urge to call her or see her but she's gone.  Our moms were there all our lives and it's hard when we lose them.  It might be good to work on trying to meet people and establish a friendship.  I'm working on that now, it's hard but I need to.  My kids grew up and left home years ago and I don't have a lot of contact with them, my sisters are aging, my dad has been gone for 35 years, so it's important to have other relationships in my life.  Good luck with you.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can so relate to your lost. I lost by Dad 2 years ago to COPD. I do the same thing from time to time, listen to his old voicemail just to hear his voice. I happened to have saved a voicemail he left on my last birthday before he passed, wishing me happy Birthday and telling me how much he loves me. I am grateful to have that. I'm so sorry you are having a difficult time moving forward. Don't rush it, Take your time. I think it just come naturally with time. Your Mom sounds like she was a wonderful caring person. I imagine she would want you to be happy, keep cherishing the family you do have left and enjoy life to the fullest. That's what I tell myself when I find myself stuck in what I call "the moment of the loss of him" I know that's what he would want for me.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

I'm so sorry for your loss.I lost my mom 14 months ago at age 70 to breast cancer, and she was everything to me.All I have  here now are my three children and my grandpa.I don't have any good friends either, so I know how hard it is not having anyone to talk to.My father died yesterday  from lung cancer and I have to deal with my emotions alone,again.I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your feelings.I read my mom's old text messages all the time.I miss her very much.

Joy1974,

I am so sorry!  I've lost my parents, husband, grandparents too, and it IS hard being alone with it.  My best friend moved to TX three years ago and I miss having her to talk with.  I hope you know you can come here any time and "talk", we're here every day, listening.  (((HUGS)))

• Upvote 2

Thank you so much Kay.And I'm sorry youve had to endure so many losses .My brother lives in AR, not to far from your friend.He and his family were just up here in Canada for  a couple weeks.It was hard to see them leave.Its hard when the ones we love are so far away.

• Upvote 1

I saw on the news that Canada is in for some rain, at least the west coast.  I'm in Oregon wishing for it!

Yes it's hard to see family leave.  I haven't had anyone visit in so long...over 1 1/2 years for my daughter and the same for my son's family.  It always perks me up when they come!  I'm glad you got some time with your brother.

Our winters are a good seven months long (Oregon-west coast), summers hot and dry, inbetween rainy seasons.  I love it when we get a 70s day, but it's rare.