Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost Wife To Heart Attack at 46 yo

Ahhhhh, the Shadow! Of course I remember. I remember sitting on the floor with my sister in front of the big old radio in my parents' living room, our ears glued to the speaker. Along with The Lone Ranger and Bobby Benson and the B Bar B Riders, that was one of my favorites! My sister and i always pretended that when we grew up, she would marry the Lone Ranger and I would marry Wild Bill Hickok. Her name would be Lillian and mine would be Rose. Back then she always referred to her husband as "Lone" since we thought that must have been his first name ;). Great memories, Marg ~ thank you for stirring them up. (I love your love for your Billy, and I'm sure he loves hearing you say so.)  

• Upvote 1

Marty,

For me it was Roy Rogers. Darn that Dale Evans! And of course, "The Virginian", James Drury. He is still around, but boy did he get old.  LOL

• Upvote 2

I know Karen.  All the fellows I knew are either gone or somehow got old.  Glad I don't look in the mirror anymore.  I can be any age I want to be.  Have not put on makeup but maybe five times......since.  Clint Black could sure play Roy Rogers in a remake of his life.  

On 5/22/2017 at 8:29 AM, TomPB said:

My best friend lost his amazing wife about a year and a half ago and I talk to him a lot and am going to visit him this summer

Tom,

I'm glad you have someone that understands that you can talk to.  When George was in the hospital that last weekend (I was away at my sisters' reunion so didn't know anything yet) someone from church was with her husband who was in the hospital at the same time.  She saw George didn't have anyone with him so she split up her time between him and her husband.  That meant so much to me!  I didn't know her very well before, but after that weekend, in which he died, her and I became best friends.  A few years later her husband died and we could talk freely with each other.  Now she's moved away and remarried, and I miss her, a lot.

• Upvote 3

On 5/19/2017 at 4:23 PM, Adele said:

At almost 5 months certain things are easing somewhat but other things are harder.

Six months is said to be one of the hardest times because that's when reality sets in.  You may be experiencing some of that.  It's not the same for everyone.  I think the first year was hard!  Experiencing all of the "firsts without" for the first time.  Seeing his empty chair at Thanksgiving.  Seeing all of his Christmas ornaments and stocking at Christmas.  That whole first summer I remember pacing frantically, talking on the phone to anyone who would listen...which was hard because my friends disappeared.  This is a hard process, but I honestly feel if I can survive it, anyone can.  In the beginning I wasn't sure that I could or would.

• Upvote 4

On 5/18/2017 at 10:56 AM, Eagle-96 said:

Another thing I hold onto is that although this pain I am feeling is deeper and more agonizing than anything I could ever have imagined, she is not the one that is grieving me. I would never wish ANY amount of pain or heartache on Lori, let alone the depths of despair I am in now. I find comfort knowing that I am the one that bears the grief of losing a spouse and not her.

This was a consolation to me, too.  I would not want George to have to experience what I have.  Oh how I love him!  I feel the same as I did back then about him, if not way more!

• Upvote 2

kayc, yes, sharing with those who "been there" - or are getting there - helps me the most. Hope you can find others in the non-cyber world. And it's a very good thought that Susan is at least spared this hell. However I can't help thinking that she was so much stronger emotionally than me - nothing seemed to bother her - that she would handle it a whole lot better.

• Upvote 4