Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Finishing my taxes

Susan died 3/31 so I took 6 ms extension on taxes, now due 15th of this month. I'm now in the category of married, filing jointly, with a deceased spouse. For MA there's an additional form for that. It's hurt every time I entered Susan's info or even seen her name or SSN. Then I remember how we'd always do them together and congratulate ourselves when done. So I got through most of it but now with nothing left to do but staple and mail the MA - no efile for deceased spouse - I started crying violently. Just another day in grief world. I'd gladly give any body part just to hear her call me 🐼 again.

• Like 3

The worst things I had to deal with are financial and legal issues about Steve.  They are cold, emotionless and a horrid reminder of what we lost.  I'm sorry you had to go thru this.  First tax return I did (which normally Steve took care of) ripped my heart out.  It's like having to check the widow box on stuff now.  

• Like 3

It' is so hard dealing with so many day to day issues after our beloved has died. I remember going to the bank for the first time after Tammy died and opening up an account in my name only. Sitting at the desk with the woman from the bank felt like I was having an out of body experience. Why wasn't Tammy sitting there by my side? I literally ran out of the bank suffering an anxiety attack.

Having to write the word "deceased" on paperwork and tax forms brought me to my knees. At work, I'm no longer listed as married; I'm single for tax purposes and yet I still feel married. There's so many levels to this life of grieving and none of it is easy or comforting. I don't know how we maintain our positivity or maintain our sanity (or what's left of it).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My Kitchen table and tree chairs were full of papers for over 6 months.....Taxes, Probate, lawyers, and everything that had to change names on......That has to be one of the top Stressors in the first Months.......I had to re prove the whole thing when my house insurance just came due......After I did the same thing last year.....But, I was a lot more patient this year, being I knew where all the documents were......Tom, what can I say, I feel your pain...

• Like 1

I agree. Saturday, my wife received a bill from one of her kidney doctor's collection company. She has 30 days to respond whether the bill is valid or it will just be assumed that it is.  Two years and eight months after she died just how is she supposed to answer this inquiry. :angry2: I dealt with all of the billing issues and death certificates as the bills rolled in. I really don't feel like dig out all of that paperwork again.  I should have called them today but my air condition went out and it cost $450 to repair it.  Temperatures are still 85-90 this week. :(

• Like 2

What sucks is the providers don't care about the loss.  It's business for them to get their payment.  I understand it, but very much appreciate when I get an empathetic persn to talk to if needed.  All that is long behind me now.  It's onlybcome up since my COBRA is ending and I have to get set up with private insurance.  I occasionally get calls from places Steve was involved with or cancer societies and I always ask to be removed from their calling lists.  Manybdont even say they are sorry.  It's all about the money for so many places, but a little 'I'm sorry to hear that' would be nice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

I agree. Saturday, my wife received a bill from one of her kidney doctor's collection company. She has 30 days to respond whether the bill is valid or it will just be assumed that it is.  Two years and eight months after she died just how is she supposed to answer this inquiry. :angry2: I dealt with all of the billing issues and death certificates as the bills rolled in. I really don't feel like dig out all of that paperwork again.  I should have called them today but my air condition went out and it cost $450 to repair it.  Temperatures are still 85-90 this week. :(

What??!! Crazy that they'd wait this long.  I remortgaged my house to pay the hospital and then found I hadn't been responsible.  They didn't mention that when they were hounding me. 

Glad you got your A/C fixed!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TomPB said:

Susan died 3/31 so I took 6 ms extension on taxes, now due 15th of this month. I'm now in the category of married, filing jointly, with a deceased spouse. For MA there's an additional form for that. It's hurt every time I entered Susan's info or even seen her name or SSN. Then I remember how we'd always do them together and congratulate ourselves when done. So I got through most of it but now with nothing left to do but staple and mail the MA - no efile for deceased spouse - I started crying violently. Just another day in grief world. I'd gladly give any body part just to hear her call me 🐼 again.

I'm sorry this stirred that up. :( I felt it was harder the next year when I had to file single. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike's Girl said:

I just lost Michael this year, so next years taxes will be my first experience with doing them without him.  He always did the taxes, so I'm not sure exactly how to do it.  What will they want to see?  I hate this crap...  

It is stressful.. You will need his 2017 W-2's. 1099's. or however he was paid.  On the year of death you still file as a couple and when you sign the return write (Deceased and the date of death.) In 2018, change your deductions to just yourself if you work.  and payroll will adjust the estimated tax withdrawals accordingly. (...my bachelors Degree was Business Administration and concentrated in Accounting). 

You can get good help from the IRS in filing your returns.

My heart is with you.  None of this grief work is easy.  But I offer help if you have questions, I can usually find some good answers or lead you in the right direction.  - Shalom, George

• Like 1

You might find it easier to take it to a tax person, perhaps less emotional.  I used taxbrain and just answered their questions, so it was relatively easy but now they've gone to Liberty, I don't like it as well.  Good luck!

The emotions were my problem, not the accounting, which was easy. Had never noticed TurboTax had a button for filing jointly with a deceased spouse. When I clicked it "sorry for your loss" appeared! Entering Susan's info, remembering how we did them together, using the MA paper form for a deceased co-filer etc threw me into a big grief attack. Would have done if all the taxes took just one page. 

• Like 4

I/we have an accountant do it.  It's somewhat easier, but I now have to gather the information instead of just signing when they are complete.  I never took Steve for granted and what he did.  Vice versa.  But having to be 2 people now is exhausting an a constant reminder of his absence.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

But having to be 2 people now is exhausting an a constant reminder of his absence.

Oh yes, how well I know!

And thinking of switching programs to do my taxes...it's what I used when George was alive.  Even though I am the one that did the taxes, I feel it's one more change since he's gone, and...I know that sounds stupid, but...well you guys know.

• 2 weeks later...