Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our pastor committed suicide

STARKISS

4 hours ago, STARKISS said:

I keep hearing that if you commit suicide you will go to hell.. the people at church and his pastor friends all celebrate his life and tell us all he is going to heaven..

Very confused...

"Christian viewpoint below"

"Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding".

I believed that for a long time and it protected me from myself in some very dark days. 

In my humble opinion and understanding of God's word,  Life is not so black and white but rather many shades of  gray.

The only "unpardonable sin" is  not believing that God is who He says He is.  We are saved by Grace through Faith so that no one may boast. Yet,  we still do not have the right or permission to commit suicide.

Confusion is a weapon of the enemy to get and keep us off balance.  Each of us will face God on Judgement day.  As a Christian, Jesus died in our place, and paid for our sins.  He "stands in the gap" for us.  Now we should desire to please, follow, honour, and obey Him.

When you seek God with your whole heart, you will find him. - Shalom

Many who commit suicide have some mental issues and it makes their life hard to deal with and their perspectives skewed.  I don't think God would judge them for their mental situation any more than he would judge us for our physical situation, they didn't choose to be that way, it's something they've had to contend with.  I'm glad He is the judge, not us, as George said, 

9 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

Life is not so black and white but rather many shades of  gray.

so true.  His other statement is true also about the Christian belief

9 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

The only "unpardonable sin" is  not believing that God is who He says He is.

It's not that He can't forgive everything, but rather that if we continue in unbelief, we are unable to trust Him, THAT is what makes it impossible, not that He is not willing to forgive.  He's always there for us.

I've learned to be wary of extreme views that fail to consider everything.

• Upvote 1