Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hard time at work

Lately I've been feeling like my depression and grief is having a bad impact on my work. I was already kind of dissatisfied with my job (it's just boring and not in my chosen field), but it's gotten a lot worse. I don't care about anything in my job. I work very independently so sometimes no one would notice if I don't finish my work. I find days pass where I don't complete any tasks all. Then I rush to finish everything, but I'm sure my boss will catch on soon.

This seems work-specific. Even when I'm sad, I still find interest in my hobbies like art and reading. I think part of is that after my mom's passing, I "woke up" to what is important and realized that I don't enjoy my job. The other part of it is depression pure and simple.

I have some coworkers/friends to confide in but I'm embarrassed to discuss my problems directly with my boss. I thought of utilizing the EAP or something to try and get through my "work block." What else can I do? Has anyone else experienced this?

I hated my last job of seven years.  My boss was an idiot, sorry, no other way to put it.  I did my work but really hated the job...not what I was doing so much as having to work for my boss.  I would put out resumes and applications for jobs more along the lines of what you'd like to be doing.  

If you feel it's related to your grief, you might want to see a counselor about your "block".  I feel this way about my hobbies, haven't had the interest since my husband died.  It was easier when I had a friend to do them with but since she moved...I only do what I have to with my hobbies, not so much for enjoyment.  My heart has just lost interest and I know it's the grief.  I always enjoyed it before.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 5:59 PM, Firedragon said:

Lately I've been feeling like my depression and grief is having a bad impact on my work. I was already kind of dissatisfied with my job (it's just boring and not in my chosen field), but it's gotten a lot worse. I don't care about anything in my job. I work very independently so sometimes no one would notice if I don't finish my work. I find days pass where I don't complete any tasks all. Then I rush to finish everything, but I'm sure my boss will catch on soon.

This seems work-specific. Even when I'm sad, I still find interest in my hobbies like art and reading. I think part of is that after my mom's passing, I "woke up" to what is important and realized that I don't enjoy my job. The other part of it is depression pure and simple.

I have some coworkers/friends to confide in but I'm embarrassed to discuss my problems directly with my boss. I thought of utilizing the EAP or something to try and get through my "work block." What else can I do? Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm so sorry for your loss.  As far as the job goes, it sounds like it's a separate issue since you still enjoy other things.  Have you considered looking for a different job in your field?  It might help to check into the available resources you have at work as well.  I'm glad you have friends to confide in also, it really helps to have someone to talk to about what's going on.  I'm sure they would love to help in any way they can so talk with them.  Keep hope.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to you in your quest!  I hope you find something you enjoy that is a good fit for you.  So much time is spent working, it's good to have a job we like.