Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief group

Going to join a grief support group but I am so nervous. I’m not an outgoing person and don’t have many friends so I’m hoping it will help or at least get me out of my apartment. I know it can’t hurt .I don’t know how it will help but I’m going to try . Who knows .

• Like 2

Tony,

My experience with a grief group was wonderfully supportive.  People were allowed to participate at which ever level they felt comfortable with.  Many would come and actively participate and many would come and be content listening.  I believe everyone benefitted regardless of how much they joined in.  If the first group doesn't work for you, find one that does.  I went to two different groups: one was run by Hospice of the Valley and it was wonderful.  For me it was worth the four hour drive to go from Pinetop to Gilbert.  I tried one much closer to home but felt exceptionally isolated because the focus was far more on religion and not on what I was experiencing.  

• Like 1

I lead a grief support group in my town, there had never been one here before.  It's been heartwarming to see people progress through their grief and get to a better place.  A side benefit is that we've all grown very close and it's established close friendships!

• Like 1

Tony, I think sharing with other grievers is one of the most helpful things we can do. However, my experience with a group was not so good. It had both people who had lost a soul mate and people who had lost a child. I am NOT saying that losing a child is less bad, but it's not what I relate to. Furthermore one member of this contingent virtually hijacked the group, handing out pictures of her son and even playing a long tape from his memorial service. IMO the group leader did not do his job by letting her take so much time. Then, of the ones who had lost a soul mate, some were very closed up and didn't share much. So I didn't get as much out of the group as I do from talking to my grieving friends one-on-one.

Don't get me wrong, I think the right group would be great. I hope yours is. But if you don't feel you're connecting, please remember it's not necessarily because you're doing anything wrong.

• Like 2

I've heard it said to give it three tries and talk to the leader before quitting.  But remember, in most cities, there's several groups, so it might not hurt to "shop around" for the one that fits you best.

• Like 1