Grief Healing Discussion Groups

For Cookie and her beloved John.

My dear Cookie!

In the 13th of June will be the anniversay of you and your most beloved one,so I´d like to wish you in advance a peaceful and blessing time spending in loving memory of you two.I do know that he still means the whole world to you and it´s getting harder in this time again.For me it´s not any easier too,because in the 24th of June it´s gonna be the name-day of my love as well.We celebrate the name in Slovak calendar.His name means John in English,the same name as your husband had,so I´ll be thinking of them both on that day...

I truly hope that my words may make it a little easier for you...you stay in my thoughts and prayers all the time...as well as other precious people in my life...

I´d like to dedicate this favourite song of mine to you both from the bottom of my heart...

Hugs and love from Janka

1090506695_Heart-stextom.gif.e70b8d2002070ffff31fe595041a87c9.gif

• Like 4

Janka:  Thank you so much.  I know you know what this is.....so wish we had our loved ones here......you are a very caring and thoughtful person......Cookie

• Like 1

Why is this so hard?  It's been 3 years and, yet, I'm experiencing such sorrow, anxiety and panic with the anniversary of John's death being tomorrow.  I've wondered if I have some disorder...PTSD maybe?  It feels like a disorder....this can't be what we have to live with so long and for how long?  Is this normal?  I think the people around me think there is something wrong with me.  I just can't shake it.  I also feel apathetic....nothing is interesting...just counting down the days.  Trying to keep busy....but it is work.  Feels like I will never know what it is like to be happy or just content again....sadly, Cookie

• Like 2

Cookie, same here.  It will be 3 years in October.  Nothing interests me.  Hard to get thru the day.   My friends have just about given up on me.  I wanted to get a dog, but wonder if I can even take care of one.  Thinking of you especially tomorrow.  Gin

• Like 2

Count me in on the 'coffee clutch'.  I was just thinking last night how long a person can go until what remaining fuel they have runs out.  Mine is dangerously low.  If it helps, Gin, my counselor says it is a form of PTSD.  It’s serious loss that affects everything and don’t let outsiders invalidate that.  How we live with it is still mystery to me.  It’s like being dead yourself, but you have to still eat, bathe, shop and handle problems that arise.  I can’t remember the last time I truly laughed or felt joy.  Some is wrong with me, that I know by how I live now.   If you can call it living, which it a non humorless joke.  I feel literally sick most of the time because I know every day us a rerun that I’m tired of watching.  Tired of feeling I’ve tried so hard to find meaning and can’t.  My heart is with you.  💖

• Like 2

Cookie I know exactly what you mean and I wish you the best getting through the day. Sharing with others who have lost a soulmate is what helps me the most. Nobody else has a clue. Geez, this AM my local therapist (NOT my angel grief counselor) suggested that Susan's siblings might be experiencing the same grief that I am. Unbelievable. ❤️🐼

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 6:20 PM, TomPB said:

Cookie I know exactly what you mean and I wish you the best getting through the day. Sharing with others who have lost a soulmate is what helps me the most. Nobody else has a clue. Geez, this AM my local therapist (NOT my angel grief counselor) suggested that Susan's siblings might be experiencing the same grief that I am. Unbelievable. ❤️🐼

Seriously?  I'm sure they miss her terribly, but you ate, slept, spent all your time with her (like me and John) and besides loving her completely, just the enmeshment of both your lives makes the loss of hers so excruciating.  I am reading "When Your Soulmate Dies by Alan Wolfelt, which I think MartyT recommended.  If nothing else, it lets you see that you are experiencing the normal pain and disorientation of having half of you torn away.  He says it's similar to losing a twin if you want to try to compare it to anything.  Anyway, I needed it because I've really felt like I must be losing my grip.  No one gets this except for others who have experienced it, and I mean losing a soulmate.  I know other widows who have lost husbands and they suggest that I should be enjoying my freedom...(???) My heart goes out to you.  It is a great comfort to talk to those who know what this is.  Thanks for your support...Cookie

Edited by MartyT
Link inserted
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cookie said:

Seriously?  I'm sure they miss her terribly, but you ate, slept, spent all your time with her (like me and John) and besides loving her completely, just the enmeshment of both your lives makes the loss of hers so excruciating.  I am reading "When Your Soulmate Dies by Alan Wolfelt, which I think MartyT recommended.  If nothing else, it lets you see that you are experiencing the normal pain and disorientation of having half of you torn away.  He says it's similar to losing a twin if you want to try to compare it to anything.  Anyway, I needed it because I've really felt like I must be losing my grip.  No one gets this except for others who have experienced it, and I mean losing a soulmate.  I know other widows who have lost husbands and they suggest that I should be enjoying my freedom...(???) My heart goes out to you.  It is a great comfort to talk to those who know what this is.  Thanks for your support...Cookie

Exactly. They still sleep with their spouses and share the same love and support. They are not looking for a new point to their existence and trying to find their way through a whole new sad life. The comparison is ridiculous and offensive. I also got "When your soulmate dies" precisely because of the quote Marty gave which recognizes the uniqueness of this grief. Take care, I've found that after I get through a "big day" OK the hit can come after...TomPB

Edited by MartyT
Link inserted
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Comparisons invalidate, not a good idea!

My soul mate's birthday is today.  I actually had a sister email me, I couldn't believe she remembered, usually no one does, it meant a lot.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Cookie said:

they suggest that I should be enjoying my freedom...(???) 

OMG Cookie! I can`t believe you have been targeted with that speech. Freedom? Of what exactly?  Perhaps they ment to themselves and their partners. How horrible and unfair, in any way, to express that about another human being.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kayc said:

My soul mate's birthday is today.  I actually had a sister email me, I couldn't believe she remembered, usually no one does, it meant a lot.

Peace to you, Kay.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scba said:

OMG Cookie! I can`t believe you have been targeted with that speech. Freedom? Of what exactly?  Perhaps they ment to themselves and their partners. How horrible and unfair, in any way, to express that about another human being.

Yes, scba, unbelievable....my answer to that is I was free when John was alive, beautiful, nestle down in such comfort freedom.  John's love gave me such freedom to explore myself and the world.  Now, I feel trapped....love is the most freeing thing that there is.  Also, I've had a real education since John died in terms of the carelessness of people.  I know that many don't try to be hurtful, but, gee, a little thought before speaking would be nice....and then when you realize what you said was hurtful, wouldn't it be nice to address it at least and try to find out why it was hurtful?  I think the person who said that about freedom never had the connection and love with her husband that many of us have known, so I try to think compassionately about it....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, TomPB said:

Exactly. They still sleep with their spouses and share the same love and support. They are not looking for a new point to their existence and trying to find their way through a whole new sad life. The comparison is ridiculous and offensive. I also got "When your soulmate dies" precisely because of the quote Marty gave which recognizes the uniqueness of this grief. Take care, I've found that after I get through a "big day" OK the hit can come after...TomPB

TomPB:  I know what you mean about the hit coming after....I will think I'm doing ok, and then go home and the bottom falls out.  I so want this to be a straight line forward because getting ambushed by pain is very difficult and I always feel like maybe I'm not moving through this.....Cookie

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kayc said:

Comparison invalidate, not a good idea!

❤️🐼

• Like 1

I am having a super bad reaction to an antibiotic for my ear infections...this "reaction" is worse than any pain I've ever known, I'm wiped out from it.  Didn't sleep at all night before last.  Went back to the doctor yesterday, felt I wasted my time and effort.  I hope it starts improving soon.  If it wasn't for my animals I'd probably have someone drive me to the hospital.  But then if the doctor wasn't worried, I guess I should just give it time to pass...hopefully it does pass!

I bought a different car yesterday, my son is going to sell mine, I decided I need a four door automatic, I'm getting old and with the injuries I got last year (not to mention the time I broke my right elbow) it hurts to drive a stick shift, hold the clutch in, etc.  Plus (picture this) most of my friends are in their 80s...a couple of months ago I drove them to a luncheon 50 miles away...Getting them into the backseat wasn't a problem, getting them OUT was a whole different ballgame!  Picture me pulling, prying, pushing, you name it to get some 89 year old ladies out.  I thought I was going to have to call for a crane!  The episodes of laughter didn't help our cause any.

Kay, I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well. You are such a dear and caring person. Your experience with getting those ladies out from the back seat of your car is ~ well ~ dare I say hilarious? But only in retrospect, I'm sure! Do get some rest, and know that we are sending healing thoughts to you ❤️

• Like 3