Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Always Thinking The Worse

Hi Everyone,

It seems like lately with every situation I think of that the worse will occur. For example, yesterday my father-in-law had surgery on his back and all day long I kept thinking that he died on the operating table. He did't and surgery was a success. Today, I took my oldest daughter to the doctor for reoccuring headaches and all I think about is she has a brain tumor. I don't know that as they are running lots of test on her but I cannot get it out of my mind. Then my youngest daughter broke her ankle and it is not healing properly so I think that they will have to operate or she will loss her leg or something like that. I am usually not like this. Has anyone else had similiar experiences after losing a loved one?

Libby

Libby,

I think that is very common after losing someone. You're so afraid you are going to lose someone else! I have experienced this, but I have to admit I have always been like this. I have always been a worrier! But it does seem worse now, like I'm afraid of everything! So, you're not alone.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi Shell,

It gives me some relief to know that I am not alone. I did wake up in the night in a cold sweat worried about taking my daughter today for the CT scan. I just imagine all the things the doctors can find wrong. Wish us luck we go at 10:00 today.

Libby

curlyredheads,

To answer your question...heck, YES! I'm constantly reminding others in my life that I'm especially prone to this heightened sensitivity to potential loss and sense of extreme vulnerability while in the throes of grief. (not that they always listen to my warnings, mind you!) And you've got quite the full plate there, with so many physical problems in loved ones going on all at once, you poor dear! With your daughter's health, try to keep in mind that these days doctors are often testing for all sorts of things, whether it's necessarily reasonable to do so or not. I used to get what my doc called 'eye' migraines when I was in my 20's, and also got sent for a CT scan as a precaution, but it turned out to be nothing more than stress. I still get the very occasional one, but learned later on that these kinds of headaches are VERY common in younger women especially, so try not to let your worries make you fly into a panic about it. You'll have plenty of chance to delve into that later, IF anything bad is found. I won't advise you 'stay positive', as I find that a really annoying piece of advise when I'm worried about someone or something, so all I'll say is try to practise deep breathing whenever you can, as that alone really can help us calm down a bit. And yes, best of luck today, although you might not hear of any results for a few days anyway, depending on how they work it where you are.

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your advice and carrying thoughts. Yesterday my daughter did have her CT scans but as many of you thought I don't have the results yet. It is going to be a LONG weekend. The doctor did call late afternoon and her blood work thus far has come back looking good, so that is a relief. I will keep you all posted. Again thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Libby

• 4 weeks later...

Libby,

I'm new here and a little late into the discussion, but I've been more of a worrier since my dad died at the end of October. My mom is still very healthy at her age, but I can't help but get jittery and worry about her general well-being everyday. Course, I need to tone this down or I might drive myself to sickness. But it's probably not all that unusual. Take care.

Jeff