Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Anxiety Attacks

MarieR

Hi all...

I am reading about so many of us having anxiety/panic attacks. I know they are horrible and terrifying. I've experienced the panic at times in the past and in this experience of grief I have had mostly anxiety that just stays around constantly. I have xanax in my purse and my doc prescribed lexapro. He said the lexapro will greatly reduce the anxiety. My sister takes it and says it has made huge changes for her. She is calmer and clearer, she says. I haven't taken the lexapro yet...I have taken the xanax on occasion. Mostly, I just try to breathe thru it all. I might be smarter to get on these things on a regular basis...they say that is the best way to take these meds. I think they are a blessing..they are good to use to help us thru it all. I agree with alot of the other posts...if it works, take it. It doesn't mean you have to stay on it forever,if you don't need it.An herbal alternative to try is valerian root. Don't mix it with any other anti anxiety or depression drugs though. I take one of these to sleep at night and it knocks me out. Walmart sells it. Also, beef up your B-complex vitamins and get 600mg of magnesium a day..for nerves/stress.Rescue remedy is a flower essence tincture for anxiety...find that at most health food stores.If you have the energy, get into a brisk walk if you feel the anxiety rising and remember..."this too shall pass". I know it is not easy.

I think it's also good to remember that a panic attack is an actual physical reaction to stress/a perceived threat. So don't feel like you are going crazy..you're not. Your body is just reacting to an emotional cue.I am praying for everyone suffering these attacks...I know the hell that they are. I pray for peace and calm for all of you/us.Keep breathing deep breaths. Peace and healing to all. Marie

Marie,

I think your point about taking the medications on a regular basis is an important one. I take Lexapro and it clearly tells you to take it all the time...don't miss a dose. I'm glad you brought that up. I have suffered from anxiety attacks my whole life and it was only after the death of my father that I finally turned to medications. Like your sister, it hepled me tremendously. I would even go so far as to say they probably saved my life. Sometimes we just have to admit we have more than we can handle alone. It was very hard for me to admit this, but I'm so glad I finally did and got help.

I did try Rescue Remedy and deep breathing and some other natural stuff but it just didn't work for me. I guess I was just too far gone for that to be effective, but if it works for some, that's great! It's certainly worth trying first.

Hugs,

Shell

Lori,

I didn't get any side effects from it. I just stopped feeling anxious and having attacks. It was wonderful. I was taking an anti-anxiety medication at the same time and that made me kind of wobbly and I slept a lot (which I desperately needed). But that wore off in a week or so. Now I'm just on the Lexapro and have been for almost two years and I have had no problems at all with the medication. I take 10mg a day and that's it. Just be sure to take it every day and at about the same time...and please, don't be afraid. It's going to be alright. I think it's good that you are taking it at a time when you will be home, in case it makes you drowsy, but it wouldn't be a bad kind of drowsy, just sleepy and relaxed. And you may not even get that. Good luck.

Hugs,

Shell