Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Bach Flower Essences?

OreosMommy

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if any of you have tried using the Bach Flower Essences and if so, have they helped at all???? I'm fed up with how porely my prescription meds are working for me, and I'm wondering if the natural essences might work/help BETTER. thanks for any info/help.

Praying for strength for us all, Laura

Laura,

When my dad was sick, I used to use Rescue Remedy, but to be honest it didn't seem to help much. I finally had to go on Lexapro (mostly for anxiety attacks) and that has worked great so far. Maybe the remedies will work better for you...no harm in trying. Or if not, you may just need to change meds. Good luck with it.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi, Laura,

Yes, I've used many different flower essences, including the Bach line. And yes, they helped take some of the 'edge' off of things. Sometimes, though, it can take a couple of weeks for one to really notice a difference, just like with some drugs. Whether they, alone, are enough, is an individual thing. (they ARE perfectly safe, though, to use in combination with ANYTHING else, natural or otherwise) Both therapists I've seen at different times have strongly recommended them during grief, as they're so gentle and effective as an adjunct to other aids. (you should also highly consider getting a good essential fatty acid, or EFA, blend, such as Udo's Oil, for daily use, as a proper ratio of daily EFAs are also vital for combating stress and depression)

But one also has to make up the proper combination mixture of FEs (no more than 5 different essences at a time, usually) for them to really target what's in need of help. You need to go through the repertories (often provided for customer use at stores that carry them, sometimes also in a pamphlet form) to choose up to the top 5 that fit the problem(s) best. Rescue Remedy (already a combo. of 5 specific essences, premixed) is a good overall trauma essence for when you don't have time to make a custom blend, but it's suggested that a more individualized mixture be made up as soon as possible, to really target the specific emotions and personality of the individual.

Overall, I prefer the FES (Flower Essence Society) line, but it's not as widely available in most stores (at least where I live), so must sometimes be ordered online. FES has one blend called Grief Relief which I've really liked. Bailey's, another line, also has a Grief blend, a Depression and Despair blend and a Fears blend, as well as some others, which can each be mixed into a custom blend at home. (ask the store staff how to properly mix and take FE blends)

Edited by Maylissa

I am so glad the topic of medication has come up

I am currently on aropax ( mild anxiolytic and antidepressant). Have been for a few years as I tend to get a bit anxious( personality). However late last year and early this year, was very taumatic with Walters illness and death. I started taking a mild sleeping tablet to knock myself out, so I could sleep and then face the next gruelling long day at hospital. Once he died I continued with the slepping tab for the same reason, to get rid of my pain and heartache for at least 7 hours of night sleep. The other day my 19 year old daughter said " Mom, you ned to come off the meds as they are not good for you. Well I know! that I am a nurse..so I tried to wean myself off both meds. Well at 01:45 one morning, I was still wide awake and felt very anxious on day 2 of reducing the arpoax. So needless to say, still taking my meds What should I do? I sometimes feel as a Christian,that I am not trusting God with my sitaution... Maybe God would miraculously heal me and I wouldnt need meds..am

Here are a few links you could check out to help combat insomnia in safer ways. I'm not sure how you'd take a suggestion to find a Naturopath to work with, but that's always another route to consider. (Naturopaths DO also take years of medical training, but also go one step further and learn about natural ways to treat illness, so they're NOT "quacks", as is often implied by those who prefer the status quo)

The first link is about using herbs instead of sleeping pills, and the reasons behind this:

Sleep Better Without Drugs

This is from Dr. Al Sears, an MD in Florida who promotes natural treatments. Dr. Sears also sells some products himself through his wellness center, so

I'm including another link to one of his newer products that may be worth trying. (haven't tried it yet myself, but am considering it) It's called "Native Rest" and apparently can have you dozing off w/i about 15 minutes, even if you (erroneously) spritz it on during the daytime. (so DON'T! :P ) It uses melatonin as its active ingredient:

Primal Force products (including "Native Rest")

And no, I have no affiliation with Dr. Sears or his products. I just think he's one of the growing number of smarter docs out there who believe in safer treatments and methods for what ails us.

Dr. Mark Stengler, N.D., a very famous Naturopath in CA, recommends trying the herbs valerian, chamomile, kava, passionflower, oatstraw, skullcap, the amino acid tryptophan, or melatonin if other herbals don't work for you (some melatonin-rich foods are oats, sweet corn, rice, ginger, tomatoes, bananas and barley), as well as prayer &/or meditation. I've found meditating before bedtime often helps a lot, though you may even fall asleep in the middle of it! ^_^

Edited by Maylissa

Hey Laura, your identification say's Oreo's Mommy but I can't tell what is in the picture, just curious what Oreo is. Looks like it may be a dog?

[Wendy, not to interrupt the conversation going on here, but just to answer your question: Oreo is Laura's Guinea pig, who died October 13, 2006. You can read more about her here.]

• 3 weeks later...

Laura,

I am so sorry you had lost your precious little baby, now that Marty pointed out what the picture is I can't believe I didn't see it before. Of course she is a Guinea Pig, looks like maybe a Abysinian or a Peruvian ? I am 49 years old an I have had so many pets since I had my first one at 5 yrs of age. I have had everything from dogs to cats to Guinea Pigs and Hamsters and Rats to birds and I even had 2 skunks and I am sure things I left out. I know the pain you were and probably are still feeling about losing her and I wonder did you ever get another one? Not that they can be replaced but sometimes it helps to give all your love and attention to another pet as they also help you with your grief by giving you back love and attention.

Love,

Wendy :wub: