Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Bipolar & Grief

Stallyn

I have come to a junction on my journey of grief to losing my Myrna, Its is possible having a mental illness coinciding with loss prolong or cause a mental breakdown or loss of effectiveness of Psych meds? I am in a unique situation and feel very alone with this problem, I have recently resorted to some self destructive behavior, severe mood swings and rage. Obviously I am not ashamed of my condition but would like some input from someone suffering a broad spectrum of mental disorders. Ideas, methods, treatment aimed at us.

Thanks,

William

William...Please, you're not alone!!! I don't know what your behaviors are right now, but you need to talk to someone THERE that can help. Please! Believe me, I want you to do this. Whatever the reason is (meds change, you know) please find help now. I don't know what else to suggest. Get some help, no shame, for goodness sake. Maybe your peer person, case manager, doctor? Please let us know how you are. You are special to us.

LU.....Karen :wub:;)

Karen,

I felt really bad lately when I realized that maybe my mind is not dealing with this correctly, last night what happened to me was obvious, my peer Larry saw that I looked amiss and asked me, well last night I was going to say I fell off my bike but the words came out differently today, I asked him not to mention this but my clinic called me to come in friday not asking but in a way requiring...it. I been thinking how does a person like myself, cope with this? I don't like asking for help.

Love,

William

You just plain have to get help for what you're going through right now....you know you do. You've lived with this for a long time and maybe you remember what it was like the last time you felt this way (not specifically Myrna, but you've had other feelings similar, right?). Please, we care about you, get the help you know you need. You know, at one time when my Danny was young, before he was diagnosed, he was on his bike and ran right into the side of a bus...no harm done until I got the news much later on, and then it was years before I finally found him the right help. I don't know what your mind is doing to you here but you know that you need someone there to help you, right? Now, William, I am putting you in God's hands, whether you like it or not, and He will help you...maybe not when we want him to, but He will!!

I love you and pray for you, my friend...Karen :wub:;)

Dear Karen,

you know something, that is it, the last time I felt this way was perhaps 10 years ago when everything went south, it feels exactly the same, the helplessness and constant worry of maintaining a roof over my head and keep functioning without intervention, and the desperation, Myrna was so good at telling me it was ok. Now when I see my self alone, I yearn for her, not the pills, or doctors, she always had such incredible faith that inspired me. Now I have horrible panic/anger attacks.

hello William,

how are you feeling now? I just read your post and i want u to know that i keep you in my prayers. we care about you and i hope you will not resort to self-destructive behaviors. there are other ways to focus your anger and depression. u have done the best part by being on this forum and sharing your feelings with us. it is a good therapy..to talk about it and to let it out. we are always here to listen to you. also, compliance to medication is important. and try to spend some time outdoors when u feel u cannot control your emotions..do some exercise, for this can really lift the mood.

i hope you will feel better soon..keep sharing your thoughts.. :wub:

William,

As a longtime "survivor" of anxiety attacks, I can tell you that you need to get some medication. It will help you enormously. I suffered on and off for years until I finally went on meds for it. It has saved my life. You really need to have a long talk with your doctor and let him/her know everything you're feeling. There is help and there is no shame in getting it. Like everyone else, I care about you and don't want you to suffer. Keep us updated.

A big hug,

Shell

William,

I don't know how much your meds or other treatments may have already been adjusted since Myrna died but they will surely need tweaking as you work through the grief and all the stress that goes with it. It isn't a sign you're getting worse or are not strong enough or whatever, that you will need more help in this area for a time. The balance of neurotransmitters is delicate, so an unchanging regimen of meds won't cut it. Don't feel bad about getting reviewed and helped more frequently for a time.

I know you hate asking for help. That's 110% normal. And I very much doubt you like dealing with the whole health care system either. That's 120% normal.

Don't panic. It'll work out.

--Bob

William please let us know what happens at the clinic today. I could not sleep last night after reading your post and didn't know how to respond, I was afraid of saying the wrong thing I guess. As you know I too deal with depression and have for many years and at times my doctor has to adjust my medication and I am sure that is what you need right now, that and some good friends who care about you and love you and you already have that here. Please get some help to make you stop any self destructive behavior, think about it what you do not only effects you but us too....if you hurt we hurt...that's what friends are for.

Love,

Wendy :wub:

Hi Guys,

The appt went well, I was sort of ashamed to face my doctor, Apparently I was rapid cycling and thought I was being treated for it, now they have me on a new medication. apparently it was masked for a long time as Myrna helped me with that. I really hope this helps, Far as handling it, its difficult but maybe when I get better it be time to go to a group here. Wendy, theres no right or wrong way to approach something like this, I always respect and listen to whatever my friends say :wub:

Love ya!

William

Yeah, I just knew that only because that has happened to my son, as well. He went down a real bad road on meds that weren't any longer good for him, but you caught it in the bud. Good for you, my friend. Take it a step at a time, watch your reactions, and keep in contact with your doctor now. It's up to you, my friend. I'm so very proud of you...I feel like you're my third son. Well, that's not too bad, is it?

LU...Karen :wub:

Karen, you know too well, meds for for awhile then they stop, I be more than elated to be your 3rd son, if you can put up with my in-sanity :wub:

Wendy, I'll keep a eye on it for sure, don't need any accidents LOL, its snowing already? wow, right now its 73 outside and 78 in my apt. I love the snow :blush: oops! my mother was from Jersey BTW, I think my ancestors from italy came there on ship, hmmm...no wonder I like the cold..

Karen, are you alone out there? Well I'll get a HUGE fan and blow this heat east, think that'll work?? maybe 10 big fans :wub: Your son looks like a cool guy to hang with :)

William,

I live up on Mase Mountain so I know all too well about not getting places in the winter. I live on the largest natural lake in New Jersey, Lake Hopatcong home of the Lenni Lenape Indians. We have a very very old church here that the congregation faces the front door. They say it was so they could watch for Indians coming to try a sneak attack. We have a very old reservation here also. But anyhow everyone up here has 4X4's or you better be prepared to stay in for the winter ! Want to hear something strange? My Grandmother is from Milan Italy and came over on the boat too !!! Hey maybe we are related !

Love,

No, I'm not alone...I'm just a whimp about driving with other people on freeways, etc. I just stay on my hill until I feel I'm safe. Thank you. I would love to be with everything you have around you. Your experiences must be great!

LU... :wub: Karen

Hey Lyn how are you tonight? I was feeling kinda poopy earlier but I am alittle more up now, must be the sugar from all those darn donuts I ate. There are about 10 left, but you have to promise to share them with William and Karen. My daughter just got home and said the snow is still coming down !

Love,

Thanks, Lyn...

Animals just love Danny...when he comes to visit Sadie Mae just sticks to him like glue. You know, there's something about people like William and Danny that sometimes just need some loving people out there to understand and just accept them just like they are. You're a very caring person...I see that...good for you! Have a peaceful weekend.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Yes Karen, they are so real, and what i like most is their honesty..I have been feeling good lately, and would like to share the joy i felt.

~~~

Wendy, i wouldnt wonder if u will stay up late tonight..with all those doughnuts u've eaten.. :rolleyes: If only all of us live close, it would be nice to spend the weekend together and share a cup of coffee and lots of food.. :wub: