Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Dog Chelsea

Hi All,

As many of you know I have a dog named Chelsea who used to live with me and my parents... After both my parents dying in 2005 my dog had to go and live with my brother because where I moved I could not keep her... So there has been many times that I worry about her and when she is going to die... I want so much to be there at the time because I feel I let her down when I decided to let my brother have her instead of fighting for her myself... I do not want her to die alone and now my brother and his wife work so very much she is alone alot more than when she lived with my parents and me.... She was never alone because my parents were both retired... It just kills me inside to think she might die all alone she was my best friend in this world how can I let her go like I did... Shelley

I think the "not knowing" can make us hurt even more. I just wanted to say that I know where your emotions are coming from. The pain of not knowing what Chelsea is doing, or how is her nutrition, or her health, when she's sleep or even if she is sleeping well? That must be very hard for you. Is she still with your brother, if so can you call him or whomever she is with to check in when your worries are the most insistant? Take Care

Hi Elizabeth A,

Thank you for your message to me, I do get to see Chelsea but only maybe three times a year... It is so hard to do this because I am so use to seeing her everyday it hurts to say good bye to her after a visit with her because it might be the last visit I have with her... Who knows when she will die and I guess that is the real problem.... Thanks again for caring enough for the reply Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Shelley I am so sorry that I never saw this post, I feel so bad for you and having 7 little dogs myself and many in my past I do know how you feel. How old is Chelsea and is she ill? There is no possible way you can take her where you are? Is it because they don't allow dogs or because you are not home during the day?

:wub:

Hi Wendy J,

The reason Chelsea is not here with me is because my sister had another dog and she said her house was not bit enough for two dogs... My brother has Chelsea and he lives about an hour away... My family thinks that if they won't take me to see Chelsea until I learn to drive than I will finally learn... The problem is I can not find the way to tell them I am scared stiff about driving... Thanks again Shelley

Hi Wendy J,

The reason that Chelsea does not live with me is that I now live with my sister and my sister has another dog and feels having two dogs that are that big in the same house would be too much... So as I mentioned before I have given her to my brother to raise... But it is so hard because in three years she has been with my mom and dad and myself but now she has lost all of us and is now with my brother... Shelley

Oh now I get it ! I for some reason didn't realize you lived with your sister. That is sad that she wouldn't even give it a try with the two together, you never know. What kind of dog is she and how old is she? I wish there was a way you could see her more often, I am sorry for that.

Hi Wendy J,

Chelsea is a yellow lab and she is nine years old... I first got her when she was six weeks old and she was so very tiny now she is one of the larger labs around and just as loveable... Thanks for your kindness and caring Shelley

I am sorry your sister won't give it a try, as you know labs are so wonderful and love everyone. Please don't dwell now though on her dying, she may have many years left ! Our Golden Retriever lived to 12yrs. and our Flat Coated Retriever was almost 13yrs. Maybe you could ask for a weekend trial to see how it goes?

Shelley,

Do you have a friend who lives near you who might be willing to have Chelsea live with him or her? That would allow you to see Chelsea more often.

When I lost my husband, I worried that my little dog Josie would have to go to a shelter or might be put to sleep if something happens to me, because the only family I have in this town is my sister-in-law. (She doesn't like dogs.) But I have a good friend who has promised that if Josie ever needs a home, she will adopt her.

Hi Kathy G,

No I do not have any close friends as a matter of fact I have no friends here where I live now.. I am going to check with the local bus system and see if they have a stop near where she is now... Maybe in the summer I can arrange with my sister if they are going to their cottage it is on the way so maybe I can pay for gas and maybe they will drop me off on their way.. They will not drive if they are not going to the cottage... Shelley

Shelley~ I read your post before and for whatever reason I forgot to reply. I just wanted to say that I think your idea is a good one and I hope it works out for you.

Hi All,

I have talked it over and as long as I clean up after the dog I can have her while they go on vacation for a week in the summer,,, So I am very excited about this... Eventhough I still will have to give her back after the week is over I will get her for a week all to myself.... Take care Shelley

Oh Shelley that's simply great. I bet the two of you will have a wonderful time.

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Today I sit here thinking of my dear friend Chelsea,, I wonder how her life is like and if I will hear when she dies... I often think I should just pick up the phone and call to see If I could go and see her but think all I will get is grief from not learning fully how to drive... I have my g1 but need to finish the rest of it... I miss chelsea so very much and want to see her badly but I am afraid of what will be said... Take care Shelley

Hi Shelly

I just read this link and I am wondering did you get to spend a week with Chelsea this summer? I hope so. I know it is hard not having her with you, dogs give such unconditional love and are always ready with a kiss and a wag of their tail. I have 4 dogs (pomerian mix). They are wonderful! I would miss them if something happened. They have given such unconditional love I would not want them to suffer just because I want them to stay.

I think it is the same for those I have lost (my mom 5 years ago and my hubby almost a year ago). They also accepted me unconditionally as I did them. I did not want them to be in pain or afraid. I believe my prayer was answered for both of them. Knowing this I have to continue on....As much as I wish they were here, I know they are in a better place and along with God are watching over me.

Let me know if you got the week with Chelsea and how it went...

Bdzack

Hi All,

I did get to see her in the summer and we had the most awesome time... No one understands what I mean, the new owner of the dog gives me excuses why I can not come to the house and see her anymore... My brother is the new owner and maybe I just should give up and grief her and get on with my life... I have tried so many times to visit her and my brother would say we are away this weekend or we have company this weekend or we have the grandkids this weekend so no matter how many times I have tried it is always no....Tearfully Shelley

And Yes Leeanne I love her with all my heart and it kills me not seeing her...

Hi All,

How can I see her if she lives with my brother and he keeps telling me he is busy and does not want me to come over... It is his rules and his house and I am not the type of person who goes somewhere I am not wanted... Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have the greatest of news today, I found out not this weekend but next weekend my brother is going to allow me to visit Chelsea... I have been so very down lately so I am so happy for the first time in months... I know this sounds selfish and I hope everyone else is okay today and things are looking up a little for each of you... I hope that things start feeling better for everyone... Take care Shellley