Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Pre-nuptial Agreement

lyn

Hi All,

Me and my new love have talked about this.

I feel that this is one site which I can find very objective and helpful advice without being judgmental.

I wonder what are other's view on this?

I will appreciate all your thoughts.

I don't think there is anybody but you that can make that decision. None of us know your financial matters and family situation. I do know of family's that have had a lot of trouble after a second marriage because the children from the first marriage got nothing, it all went to the wife/husband's children. You can protect those you love with trusts too. Maybe you need to talk with a lawyer. If there aren't other people involved I never could quite understand why people needed one, if they truly love the person they shouldn't have to worry about it but I've never had enough money to worry about. Good luck in your decision

• Like 1

Hi Lyn,

I agree with Mary Linda. It is really your decision, but if it because you or your love are concerned about your children getting certain things remember you can always have a will drawn up stating who gets what. Another thought, why don't you both discuss it with an attorney together?

Hugs, :wub:

Corinne

• Like 1

Hey Lyn so nice to see you back here and thanks again for the good wishes for Derek and I. As far as Pre-Nup I had never thought of anything like that as I never did that in my first marriage and also neither Derek or I believe in divorce so that will not be an issue. Is there a difference between a Pre-Nup and making out a will ?

Love Always,

Wendy :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lyn, Congratulations on your new love and new beginning. Just today, for some reason, I thought of one situation where you might like to prepare a pre-nuptial agreement. If one of you is quite wealthy, it might be proper to suggest drawing up such an agreement just to allay any suspicions family or friends may have that there was a purely financial interest in the relationship (properly,the one with the smaller bank account would offer this suggestion) . After perusing some of the dating sites (a recent hobby I am developing), I see that there are quite a number of women (usually very attractive) that indicate the salary range they expect a potential date to have. It is not very surprising, but I think all of us here know quite well the true value of a loving relationship. Best wishes for a long and happy life!

Edited by fred

Thank you for all your replies.

By the way Fred, I wish you luck on the dating websites. There are lots of scammers and players out there but at the same time there are also some good people there. You just have to learn how to weed them properly. Be patient and take your time finding that right girl...

• 9 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know about pre-nups. Haven't enough assets to worry about.  I do think it's vital to keep an updated will, though.  A friend of mine was a child of a man's second marriage.  His second wife was about the age of the children from marriage #1; friend commented that for instance, he was too old to play catch with her brothers when they started playing ball.  He died when she was in high school.  The children from the first marriage descended on the house and took almost everything they could carry out.  My friend was left without one single possession of his as a remembrance.