Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Feeling Their Presence

I just want to post about something that was weighing on my mind to see what everyone else's experiences were. I lost my wife on June 23, 2010. While reading through the postings here I read a lot of postings from people talking about how they could still feel their spouse's presence with them. This was something that I wasn't experiencing and it was causing me some concern. In the last couple of days I can honestly say I have felt Robin's presence with me and it is a good/reassuring feeling. I have also started to feel like I'm getting responses when I talk to her. I'm just curious to know what others experiences have been. Did you start to feel their presence immediatley or was it only after you came to terms/acceptance with the loss?

PopPop,

I lost Mary on August 27 of this year and I have not felt her presence since. I have not even dreamed of her or anything else (I very rarely ever dream anyway). I am still grieving very intensely so maybe it is, like you say, that once I come to terms with my loss that I will be able to sense her presence. Looking forward to reading others responses.

God Bless You

Jay

PopPop,

I have felt Lars' presence very strongly three times in the ten months. The first time it was like he was laying beside me in bed with his hand on my shoulder. The second time our legs were intertwined(we slept like that most nights) and the third time I could feel his weight on the bed as he sat beside me.

Other times his presence is felt during a time while I'm making a major decision. Most of the time it is very calming to know that he is with me, but the time he was sitting on the bed beside me scared me. I have a large dog and an alarm system,but was terrified that someone had got into the house somehow.

I have always been a dreamer, at first he didn't talk in the dreams, now he does.

I'm also looking forward to reading others resposes.

Lainey

In my heart I believe that my Honey is watching over me, and sometimes I hear Him respond to something I have said to him. I feel Him with me all the time in my heart. I have experienced the feeling of His presence a few times as the hair on the back of my neck stood up and a chill ran down my spine, I believe He was giving me a hug. This all, I believe in my heart.

My head on the other hand tells a diffrent story. My head did try to convince me it was not a good idea to be with Him, but my heart pulled so stongly that it shut my head down with a vengeance. Too many times I let my head get in the way of happiness, so now I just fallow my heart. If I had not believed my heart, I would have never got to know my Honey, and would have missed out on a great love.

I still struggle sometimes but the heart will always win. I like to remain open to the possibilties, its a much happier way for me to live, and I need all the happiness I can get right now.

God bless us all !

Rachel

Hello To Everyone,

I feel Ruth's presence daily, and have since I brought her Urn home, I didn't notice that I was feeling/sensing it intensly until after I cleaned her closet out the best I can remember, since then I feel her in waves of warm or cold air and waves of emotion, at times I hear her speak to me, just today I came home from work said "I'm home baby" as I do everyday and today she replied back asking if my day was Ok....I know the presence is real due to fact my dogs go nuts when it's happening they begin to play and act like she just got home from somewhere, just like they did when she was on earth....what's funny is she still kids around with me and it brings me to tears hearing it then she says don't take me so serious....in fact as I type this she just made herself present with a huge wave, needless to say I'm in total tears as she reminded me to let you know keep your mind and heart open and they can come thru....we must not feel and think they are gone forever.....I am a very spiritual person as well so I think that plays a big part in my encounters, my new friend also has these same encounters from her husband....I also find pennies from heaven at times 4 so far in the strangest places like on the sink, on the carport, by my door in a parking lot after I return to my car, and in the closet 10 minutes after I just left the closet with nothing on the floor....so those are some of my wonderful contacts I have with my wife, I hope I answered some of your questions....

God Bless us All

NATS

PopPop, I have had a couple of instances when I really felt that Michael was with me, almost physically. I have had two dreams where I felt he was communicating with me. My husband died on January 13th. Nothing happened for me until Michael had been gone about 5 months. The first time was when I was trying to find an item that I knew I had put away recently. I looked everywhere, then went to his Arizona Red Rock urn and ask his help in finding it. I found it 10 minutes later in a place I had already looked. The other time was at the theater. We had both been very involved in community theater for years. This past September I directed a play, without his input for the first time. He was always so good to help me tighten the scenes. He was the best director in our theater group. During one of the performances, I was sitting, watching the performance on the monitor. I sensed someone behind me watching with me, I turned around to say something about the performance, and no one was there, physically. However I truly believe it was Michael watching the performance with me. There have been other times, not as specific, but I just seem to feel him in the house. I don't want to keep him from what his mission may be now, but it is very comforting to feel his presence. Jay, early on after Michael's death a very close friend who had lost her husband less than a year before had a dream about Michael. In the dream he told her he could not "read my letters, that for awhile they would have to come through her" She and I both feel that my grief was so raw that he just could not get through. This dream of hers happened on the anniversary of her husband's death. Life and beyond is a mystery to us all, I believe in God, and I believe that someday I will be with Michael again. I also believe that our loved ones do communicate with us, sometimes we may not recognize it, and sometimes it is very obvious. These are just my beliefs, and my own personal experiences.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I lost my husband on August 5th - so over two months now. I have yet to feel any sort of presence, but I have had three dreams - one of which seemed very real. In all the dreams he was young, healthy and happy. The clearest dream ended with me holding him and I could swear I felt his body close to mine when I woke up. It was a good dream, but disappointing not to find him with me after all.

I'd desperately love to feel his presence and feel like I'm getting responses. Haven't experienced that at all. I'd be very interested to know what you mean by feeling your wife's presence and why you feel you getting responses. Please tell us, PopPop.

Melina

I too have some experiences where I believe my CHarlie is with me. I have felt him holding my hand while watching tv in the bedroom like we use too, I woke up feelig his arms wrapped around.b I sense when he is around, I get this heavy feeling around me,its hard to explain, but I know he is there then. I feel him with me when I feel an urge to turn the radio on and his song is on. I am not sure if one needs to come to terms with the loss before experiencing anything because there are some days when I feel like I have accepted it but then there are days when I am taking back and realize it all over again and can't believe it. It has been five months and I believe for me it is harder than the day he died!

Hi

My husband passed on April 6th, and I feel his presence with me all the time, I didn't in the beginning, then I dreamt of him and we were just holding and hugging each other in bed and i woke up it was so real that was a couple of weeks after he passed, and I kept asking him to give me a sign and he did, he gave me a sign and my two sons, just so we wouldn't mistake it for a coincidence, We each woke up at 4;45, the time that he passed, my son told me that he woke up that time two nights in a row , then I woke up that time the night he told me about it , and I told my other son and he woke up that time, no coincidence, and he is the skeptic. and every time I ask him to help me do something, I can. and I just feel him in the house, It feels like he is here but I just can't see him, I feel his presence here and with me when I go anywhere. I dream of him a lot, and that is one of the ways that they can communicate with you. You have to be open to it and you have to ask them to give you a sign or come to you in your dreams, and ask them to stay with you, I did, I asked him to stay with me until it was my time and then we will go where we have to go together, so I know that he is here, no question.

God Bless,

Karen

I think for me it took time. I can't say as I've felt any physical presence, but more a knowledge he is with me, inside of me. His spirit bolsters me, encourages me, and helps me to not feel quite so alone, although it still isn't like before.

My partner passed away, here at home, nearly 4 years ago. I feel his presence a lot (still), it's sporadic, usually when something important is happening (anniversaries, important times for me). His dog Harry always alerts me, Harry has a special face and special whimper when Philip is around. Recently I sang at the Royal Brisbane Hospital with my choir (for Mental Health week). Philip had much of his treatment there, some of my most difficult moments were there. There is a special seat in an alcove where I used to sit (often in tears) when I needed space. We sang in that alcove, it was amazingly powerful. I felt Philip's presence strongly during the performance but he choose not to come out to dinner with us later (guess he didn't need to). I gain such comfort and inspiration from his visits. Just after he died, on the anniversary of us moving to the farm, a koala appeared and sat on a log with me for over 15 minutes one evening when I went down to check the alpacas. Koalas were significant animals for Philip. Koalas don't sit on logs in the evening looking at people. It was such an amazing 15 minutes. After he had spent some time with me the koala quietly walked away, he stopped regularly on his journey to a nearby gum tree to turn and look at me. I believe strongly that our loved ones return to connect with us, at first it was difficult and sad, I missed him and his visits just emphasised his absence, now, as time has passed, they are comforting, sometimes funny things happen. I have lots of stories, maybe we will share some more with each other as time goes on. Take comfort in the connection, I'm sure that is the intention of those who return. My hugs and blessings to you all - Nyx xxxx

Thank you Nyx. It's encouraging to know that it's a possibility I'll genuinely feel his presence at some point. I already know his spirit survived. I carry him with me all the time. I can sometimes hear him call my name, even if it is only inside my own mind. A friend told me that he might even visit me one day in my dreams. These possibilities give me some peace, although nothing is quite as good as the real thing. Why did he have to die?

Hi Wmjsca (and everybody else), it's an interesting thing about loved ones revisiting us. I find we need to invite them to come but not go looking for them (does that make sense?). Send messages from your heart that you are open and then just observe things through new eyes. First little signs appear (almost as if they are 'testing' you, do you really want me to do this)and then those signs get bigger and stronger. Maybe they are concerned about scaring us. Philip came through my closest friends first. On the day after he died one of my dearest friends came to be with me (Philip would have known she would be here, she was here almost every day during the latter stages of his illness). As she arrived she drew me to her and with one arm around my shoulders she took my hand with her other hand and led me to my own music room. She sat me down, stroked my hair and said there is something I need to play for you. She went confidently to my numerous stacks of CD's and without hesitation drew one from the middle of a pile towards the back, popped it in the player and selected track 2 (at no time did she look at the cover of the CD). The room was filled with the sound of Sarah McLachlan singing 'Blackbird' (the Lennon and McCartney song). 'How did you know I had that song?' I asked (there is no way she could know all my CD's and where they are, I don't!). 'I didn't', she whispered, 'Philip was with me in the car coming over, he asked me to play it to you, it's from him, listen'. As as she said that Sarah's voice asked me to 'take these broken wings and learn to fly' - wow what a message. He has stopped visiting my friends now, within a few days he came direct to me and still does. About a year ago I decided to take singing lessons, the very first song I performed in public was 'Blackbird', Sarah's arrangement. My wings still feel a bit damaged but hopefully I am managing to fly, at least a little bit. Time doesn't heal, but it gives you hope. I wish you hope and comfort, hold onto the belief that one day, even if it's only from the table to the chair, you will fly and cherish the times when flying is just too difficult. If we hadn't loved we wouldn't hurt and all the hurt in the world is worth it for the love that was given us (and is still there). hugs to you all, Nyx xxxx