Grief Healing Discussion Groups

After Death Communication

grace10

I have been thinking a lot about my after death communications from my mother in the last two-and-a-half months. These have included an overwhelming out-of-this-world feeling of love permeating my being, while I was in the middle of a computer game, the scent of mint coming through the heating vents at night with no explanation (I know drink a lot of mint tea), feeling the presence of mother (and father) dancing when I did a jazz gig with a big band (they loved going dancing in the 1940's at this huge dance place in PA), and the recent Christmas Day doorbell ringing experience when I was giving a friend some of my mother's belongings as gifts.

I think a lot of people have these kinds of experiences, some do not. They are a little overwhelming to me, so I really asked my mother to not give me these experiences when I am alone, and so the last two were in the presence of others.

A registered nurse, her website is http://maryshannonbell.com discusses her after death communication experiences and also has written a a book about her almost daily experiences. Maybe this book would be helpful for anyone who would like communication like this. I think its great that someone with some credentials has written a book. It does not sound like she was even looking for these experiences, they just happened. My grounding is in the practice of social work, and I work part time in this field as a consultant, so I hope I am not presenting myself as being out of my mind. Its funny too, because I work with a lot of older people from other cultures, where seeing the dead is pretty much a cultural norm.

My mother was always a very intuitive and creative/artistic person, and I think she would have great joy in doing this kind of communication. She had this adventurous spirit most of her life, liked to try new things, and always seemed to be lucky and in the right place at the right time, often winning the raffle, etc., for what its worth. I also sense that she really hung on to life, perhaps longer than she needed to, because she felt that I would be so alone in the world after her passing without a family. True, only one family member left who I communicate with, but I have created my family of friends, and have a busy life.

But really, what a gift it is to know that they are there, and may be trying to ease our grief by letting us know in their own way that they are doing well on the other side and make contact every once in a while. It has been very healing for me, and I thank my mother for doing this!

If you are looking for signs, maybe this book will help. There is also interesting info on the internet if you google things like communication from the dead, etc. Hope this helps!

Dear Grace10,

Thank you so very much for sharing. I do not think you are presenting yourself as "out of your mind", in fact my belief is that you are very much "in your mind" and such a blessing to me and others. I am a very spirtual and artistic person and I resonate so well with your experiences.

I have added the site you referenced to my favorites. "Rest your mind" as you have helped me and so many others whose grief is just to raw to have any words.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

• 3 weeks later...

I had always wished that I would receive a communication from my mother. She died in 1997 and other than once thinking I heard my name called out, there never has been any. Mom had 10 kids and used to say if she called one, she had to call all 10 ! I gave up on hearing from her, learning to live with my memories.

Then the love of my life died on August 30 2010. I know what it feels like to have my heart ripped out and my entire world drop out from under me. BUT - I do think maybe I am receiving something from my sweetie. She smoked, and sadly, stupidly so did I. (Until 17 days ago, I have quit). But I would smell cigarette smoke in the house and it was strictly forbidden to smoke in the house. I have moved her chair to another room, cleaned and cleaned until this house is nearly sterile. but I do get these quick puffs of smoke as I walk past where she chair was. Sometimes I smell it on the patio where she loved to sit and read the paper. So I guess it could be possible there is communication from our loved ones. But if they are supposed to be filled with the joy and full of praising God in heaven, why would they bother with us, they are supposed to love God only now? Maybe that is why mom never calls - she is busy with God?! Am I sounding stupid here or what? I am going thru a rough day so pardon me, but I thought I would add these thoughts.

I do not believe you are crazy. I have had these things happen and know countless people who have also. We are just too afraid to talk about them because we believe people will think we are nuts. I am a clinical social worker and I don't believe my faith in the afterlife and the communications those who have crossed death's threshold makes me crazy...it is our culture. I have had signs from my love and they continue to come and I can hardly wait for the next one but they come as they will and I can't make them happen. I ask and wait and usually when I least expect it..there it is. I would like one a day if I could have it. Enjoy them.

I don't think it's crazy at all. I've had very clear communication from both of my grandparents and from one of my husband's friends who have passed. I'm waiting for something from my mom, but I think it is still too soon (she passed on 11/17) and I want it too badly. All of the other signs and communication have come at unexpected times.

I had a dream a few weeks back where my Honey was driving and I was in the passenger seat. We stopped at a red light and I leaned forward to get a better look at someone. I couldnt see my Honey at this point, but I felt his hand on the small of my back. later in the dream I was climbing a fence and someone took my arm to help me over and I felt nothing. Many times I have had dreams where contact was made but never felt anything, but emotions. This was the first time I had ever felt something physical in a dream. I feel it was my Honey with his hand on the small of my back like he used to do when we were sleeping.

A week or so later I was half woke when the bed was jiggled, just like when he would come to bed after I had fallen asleep. I live alone and can only figure that I was not startled or frightened because I knew who jiggled my bed.

Rachel

I also have had a few things happen, but the one thing that I know could only had been my husband is this. He used to work out on a Nordic Trak ski machine and a treadmill and wore a heart rate monitor. He used to hang it on the machines after he was finished. At one point we moved the ski machine out of our family room where it sat behind the sofa and put the treadmill there. He lost the belt for the monitor but had the watch and wanted me to get him another one but it was almost as expensive as buying both together. I told him it just couldn't be lost, it had to be here somewhere. The winter he died we were going to redo our extra bedroom and turn it into a nice office. The ski machine had been put up there along with other things and I told him I was sure we had to find it there some place. We had looked everywhere in the family room and the sofa in front of it. We lifted it up, looked under the cushions of which I "used" to vacuum regularly so we knew it wasn't there.

When I had to get HD converter boxes for our televisions because I don't have cable, a friend was helping me to set up our VCR's and couldn't figure out how to do the one in the bedroom. I told him how we did it on the television in the family room so he told me to get the remote from there. However, when I went to look for it, I couldn't find it. I hadn't used the room in quite some time since I couldn't make myself use the treadmill anymore and wasn't comfortable in the family room at all without him. It wasn't where it would usually be so I started looking all over for it, even knowing I hadn't been down there. When I desperately looked under the cushion of the sofa, I didn't find the remote but his belt for the heart rate monitor, right in the middle of the place where we always sat together. I KNOW it wasn't there before, we not only looked once but many times because I thought it just had to be there. It wasn't stuck down between anything, but right there in the middle. The remote was on the treadmill where I forgot I used it.

From then on, I wore it all the time until it broke and now I just keep it in the bed with me.

Here's a few sites you might also like where people post their experiences:

http://www.after-death.com/Pages/MessageBoard/Main.aspx

http://members2.boardhost.com/adcfriends/

http://www.spiritlyric.com/story.html This site lead me to the first one when I clicked on their Hello from Heaven book, but the song is beautiful, I think you'll all like it if you haven't heard it yet.

Hugs, Gail

Gail, dear ~ Thank you for sharing those links! I took the liberty of adding your song recommendation to the list on our Grief Songs Web page. (Scroll down to entry #53.)

Thank you Marty. I went to that site last night and did see it there, I thought it had just been there.

I was up reading all night, I never fall asleep until at least 8 a.m. and then only get three to four hours of broken sleep, all with vivid dreams that thank God, I usually forget as soon as I wake up. Last night I didn't even get an hour and a half's sleep though.

I couldn't stop reading and listening to some of the songs and haven't been able to listen to songs I used to like for awhile now because they just hurt too much. I'm not sure if reading all of these things is good or not. I'm not sure if it's good to know I'm not the only one or if it's too painful knowing there's so much pain out there or if it lets me know I'm different and not able to do as much as the others because of the benzo withdrawal.

Do you have any opinions on if I should be pushing myself by reading these posts? I've stopped reading them in the benzo support group because it's just too scary doing it. I talk to the original owner of the group regularly and she told me she thinks it's better if I don't read them, a lot of people can't and I do understand what I'm going through and what I have to do as far as that goes.

Thanks again Marty and I hope that song helps a lot of other people.

Love, Gail

You might consider trying relaxation tapes or guided imagery CDs before you go to sleep at night, Gail, as a way to help you replace those disturbing thoughts and images with more peaceful, relaxing ones. There are many Web sites devoted to this simple but very healing approach, and many online and corner bookstores carry some excellent pre-recorded programs produced by highly skilled professionals that you can use in the privacy of your own bedroom. You might begin by doing some reading about guided imagery by a respected expert in the field:

What is Guided Imagery? By Belleruth Naparstek,

See also the posts in this recent thread: Not Sleeping

and the attachments I've added to this post, Enhanced Healing through Guided Imagery and Benefits of Using Guided Imagery.

Enhance Healing Through Guided Imagery.doc

Benefits of Using Guided Imagery.doc

Thank you, Gail, for sharing the info about ADC forums. I especially loved the song story.

I was thinking about a song I wrote many years ago this morning before I even came to this site, and realized, in many ways, it is a type of grief song that reminds us of how our loved ones are always with us, and love always exists. I think many songs are channeled. I have been thinking of updating it, and getting it out there. It was copyrighted in 1976, Here's a few of the lyrics:

For You

Your love is all around me

Be it morning, noon, or night

The shadows have all lifted

This world seems a little more right

I have to say, I want to tell you now

If you ever go away, ever go away

You'll always be a part of me

You've given so much love to me

You'll always be a part of me, forever

Dear Grace10,

You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoy the site and the song.

I really liked the lyrics you wrote too. I hope you will update it and get it out there, that would be wonderful.

In the beginning I said I think I'd like to write a song, but I haven't been able to put anything down on paper yet..maybe some day. I think it would really be wonderful to write a tribute to our love as you did.

Hugs, Gail

Dear Gail,

You are an inspiration to behold and we are all blessed by you! You are flying now my friend and I am so proud of you!

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

DESTINY

I held a butterfly in my hand

A dainty fragile thing it was.

I asked what secrets it held

Within the beautiful color of

Its wings – it said not a word.

I asked what it was like to hold

Such freedom within the strength

Of those fragile wings –

It said not a word.

I asked what it was like to be

Held in such awe and wonder

Because of its' beauty, power

And freedom – it said not a word.

In my frustration – I let it go

And as it flew away it whispered

You are a cocoon – come out now

And show your strength, your power,

Your beauty – fly –

Then you will know my secrets –

YOU WILL BE FREE

AUTHOR UNKNOWN

Thank you, Gail.

I will get these songs out there, and write new ones as I am more a jazz person these days. I think the idea of how my mother always encouraged my creativity and even was encouraging of me getting a degree in music later in life is enough reason to be more out there with music.

Songs just seem to happen, although there has to be an intent behind wanting to do this. If you are thinking of writing a song, just be aware, be attentive to dreams. Or, hook up with other songwriters. There are often supportive groups around with nice people.

As I mentioned previously, I think a lot of songs have some element of inspiration from the other side. Sometimes I just sit down at the piano and start playing and I almost feel like I am channeling original music. I am not even a great pianist, it is not my main musical instrument, but its nice, sometimes I record it and think... hmmm, where did that come from? That's another project too.

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering if anyone had received any signs from their loved ones recently? I think I may have received one from my mother last night, in a dream.

It definitely wasn't a "visit" per se, as I didn't see her at all or even hear her voice. In my dream, I was at some kind of hotel and I was apparently waiting for her to come pick me up. I had waited all day, and the sun was starting to go down, so it occurred to me that I should check my cell phone to see if she had tried calling me. My phone distinctly showed I had 5 missed calls. The number 5 really stood out to me. I called her back and said something along the lines of, "I figured if I was waiting for you, then you must have been waiting for me, too." I was happy when I was talking to her and I hung up the phone knowing that she would come get me.

When I woke up, I couldn't get that number 5 out of my mind, so I Googled it as soon as I got to work. Among other things, apparently 5 is a link between Heaven and Earth:

Five represents your persuasiveness, spontaneity, boldness, daring nature, action, and humanity. The number five represents the five human senses and thus may be telling you to be more "sensitive" and be more in tune to your senses. Alternatively, the number five may reflect a change in your path or that you need to alter your course. It is also the link between heaven and earth.

Now, I may be reaching here, but it hit me like a ton of bricks when I read that. I've been waiting for the past 3 months for some kind of communication from her, but maybe she's been waiting for me to move out of this dark hole of grief that I've been in. I don't know if it really was a sign from her or not, but it made me feel better.

I've had nothing major either Eren, I want my Dad to come visit in a dream, I want to truly sense that yep he's around me still. I've had songs come on every so often with very apt words but it's not the same, I want my Dad himself.

I know people who have sensed their parents around them and they tell me my Dad will come when he knows I am ready not when I think I'm ready or when I want it. That I try to believe.

I also think too that when something does happen so I take notice of parcicular song and it's words at a particular time, or just a feeling I will get about something, something that i've asked my Dad for help with..... my initial reaction is Dad is sending me that, then a lot of the time the doubt sets in and I think it's "wishful thinking", "it's coincidence".

But when I sit back and think of this I'm starting to believe that the doubt that sets in about these things is the human side of us and the "flawed" part ..........so I think the initial reaction was right, it is my Dad, that is the connection that goes beyond the bounds of this earthly world, that initial "gut feeling" is the right one and because I can't fully comprehend the "afterlife" or whatever you want to call it, then as a "logical human" things get put down to wishful thinking and coincidence.

So Becka, I read your post and straight away I think yep that is your Mom, no doubt about it and it's the human part of you that thinks your reaching. I think it's easier to believe for others too, everytime I read someone posting about something that "might" be from their loved one, I'm reading it thinking it absolutely is, but then when it comes to myself I doubt it more. I'm glad it made you feel better ........and when you think of it, what in the world can make you feel better when you're grieving ........ONLY your Mom!!

((hugs)) to you all and here's hoping for lots more signs, visits for all of us

Niamh

• 3 months later...
Guest mikaerin

You and me both I have had all kinds of signs I am really into psychic stuff and my husband and I use to talk about it all the time I had a reading done and It helped me more than you can know e mail me if you want to talk seeer4078@aol.com

Lori

• 1 month later...

I went and had a (2) reading done from a hometown medium...It was amazing.Of course,I still doubt and question,but it really was amazing.I just wish somehow I could KNOW she was true,but I have a questioning mind,and cant help but go back and forth.

• 4 months later...

Many, many people experience after-death communication. Almost 50 percent of widows and widowers have experiences they "know" are their deceased spouses. Almost the same number of people over 60 years old do, too. The ADC stories from 9/11 are truly inspiring and very revealing about the nature of consciousness and the connection love makes even beyond death. As many of the answers above clearly show, the main obstacle for receiving an ADC is the belief that they can not happen, or should not happen. That is truly sad. There are about as many means for ADC as there are for communication among the living. Beyond dogmatic denial of ADC, the next biggest block to experiencing our loved ones (even pets) who have passed on, is the intensity of our grief in their passing. The intensity of that pain can take up so much of our awareness that we can't notice that they are there for us. A friend of mine, who lost his father to cancer, said one day he just shouted out, "Dad, I miss you so much!" What he was surprised to hear back was, "Son, if you miss me, I'm right here. If you miss the past, you better work on that." I've had many ADC experiences, and the evidence is that if there is a need and a connection, most people will. I hope you will look for them in the days to come.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've had a few things happen. Whether they be signs, communication, or just plain ol coincidence. Not sure.

Shortly after my fiance Mike passed in September I had a dream with him in it. In my dream he was in the hospital already had passed away. When all of a sudden he woke up. In my dream i was in shock, i coudln't believe he woke up. In the dream he coudln't understand why i was so surpised to see him alive. I tried to explain to him, it was because he had died, and for him to wake up is unusual. He still just couldnt'understand, it was as if he had no idea what had happened. No idea he had passed away. Could this be just a dream, maybe. Could this be his way of communicating to me that he didnt know what happened to him? Also, Maybe.

I also found a penny, which many say people who pass away will send us gifts to let us know they are still around, and many times the gifts are pennies. I found one and it was the year of his birthyear on the penny. Gift? Maybe.

• 3 years later...

Dear Ones,

I just read this over at Widow's Voice, and had to share it with all of you. What an amazing and beautiful Christmas gift this is:

This Day, That Tree, Marry Me

by Kelley Lynn

Thursday, December 18th, today, is the 9 year anniversary of the day that Don proposed marriage to me underneath the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree in NYC. (You are reading this on Friday, but I'm writing it and posting it on Thursday evening, and it is right now, as I write this, my proposal anniversary.) The first Christmas after he died, going within even blocks of that tree made me panic and gave me anxiety and awful, horrible pains. My stomach would go into knots and I would literally go in a different direction and walk detours just to avoid even seeing that tree by accident, rising in between the buildings that make up the NYC skyline. The second Christmas, I went back there way before I was ready, and had a pretty epic emotional breakdown while sitting under those lights. I sobbed until I couldn't sob any more, and then I sobbed a little bit more. Last year my grief therapist came with me to the tree, and we talked and remembered Don and I cried and it was very hard and very sad. This year, yesterday, one day before the actual anniversary, I was in the audience for the taping of The Meredith Viera Show, and afterwards, the plan was to meet Caitlin again by the tree so she could be beside me for whatever emotions I needed to get through. Read on here >>>