Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hospice Of The Valley's E-News, January 2011

MartyT

The following comes to us from Susan Levine, Executive Director of Hospice of the Valley:

The New Year is a perfect time to consider the year ahead and set new goals. This month's E-news provides information about several meaningful opportunities, including volunteering for Hospice of the Valley, joining a grief support group or planning for future health care decisions.

Volunteering yields rewards

Retiree Oldy Oldenburg says volunteering for Hospice of the Valley is one of the highlights of his life. "I get much more out it than I think I give," he said. "I've been doing it eight years but it seems like I just started my first day." Oldenburg is currently matched with patient Farroll Barrett. "We socialize, we watch all these shows," Barrett said. "It really makes me feel good."

Read more about how Oldenburg 's volunteer service makes a difference in Barrett's life. HOV hosts volunteer orientations throughout the year in different parts of the Valley. For a complete schedule, click here.

Jewish end-of-life partnership program begins

Starting in January, Shabbat blessings will be offered to Jewish patients in our inpatient hospice homes as part of the Kivel-HOV Partnership in End-of-Life Care. The weekly Friday evening ceremony includes electric candles, kosher grape juice and challah bread, offered with prayers, music and readings. To learn more about HOV's partnership with Kivel Campus of Care, click here.

New grief support groups coming up

HOV offers free community grief support groups throughout the Valley - some general, others dedicated to specific audiences. Below are some new upcoming groups. See our Grief Support Groups page for details on all groups.

• Coffee/Breakfast with the Guys - Men's Grief Support Group - Six Mondays, January 10 to February 7, 8:30-10 a.m., in Surprise
    • Curando el Pesar - Grief Group for Spanish Speaking Adults - Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday starting February 9, 6-7:30 p.m., in Peoria

[*]Deep in My Heart: A Valentine's Remembrance - Three sessions at different locations (Phoenix, Mesa, Peoria) on February 14.

Planning ahead for people with dementia

Making decisions about end-of-life care for persons with dementia is easier when options are considered early in the disease's progression. Advance directives state in writing what type of treatment and health care people would want if they are not able to speak for themselves. To learn more, visit the Advance Directives page for our Dementia program.

Wishing you a year of new opportunities, happiness and meaningful connections with Hospice of the Valley,

Susan Levine

Executive Director

Hospice of the Valley

• 2 weeks later...