Grief Healing Discussion Groups

In Loving Memory Randy Chappell Age 17 1985-2003

One sunny spring afternoon in March, my beautiful son was on his way home from work and his pick-up truck inexplicably went off the road and struck a tree. He died instantly of massive internal injuries to the chest, abdomen and pelvis and there was nothing the emergency responders could do. The trucks parked along side a country road in Wisconsin, red lights spinning in silence while inside I was screaming.

That was the day my heart was broken forever.

The scene is just a minute away from our home, as our house rests along the ridge overlooking the valley below. I often look out there longing for him to return to me. I miss him so much! For me, it feels like everyday is yesterday... a thousand yesterdays.

I have done some research and have found that in 2002, there were 8,278 fatal accidents in the United States alone. My son is not included in that number, yet behind each one there is a name, there is a face... a boy or a girl who had hopes and dreams and parents who loved them dearly.

I am not the only one.

If you want to know more about what happened, you can visit his memorial site (best viewed on internet explorer):

http://www.randychappell.com

The main page is part of my journal, which is written as though I were talking to him, in the same tone we had always talked together before the accident. There is also an obituary and a memory page. I'm still adding to the site and putting alot of love and thought into it.

There are alot of pages for children out there, and working on it helps me through the emotions and the loss, especially with the music. The music has always been one of he gifts we shared together, starting way back from when he was a baby and I'd sing to him. Then later came the music lessons and the CD's we would always share. The last CD he gave me was Aaliyah's soundtrack from Romeo Must Die.

If there is anything I can do to reach out to other parents, you are more than welcome to write to me. I know how it is to feel all alone in the world, even within my own family, my husband, my mother, always telling me what they think I should and should not be doing. It can make you feel even lonlier, but we all are under the same sky tonight, in tears for someone lost to us on this earth.

Leigh Segel

mercedes@mwt.net

What a beautiful son you had.........my heart breaks for you and I thank God I have no idea what its like to lose a child.....I hope I never know.....Ive had other losses but to lose a child........I cant even bear to start to think.....

My thoughts and prayers are very much with you....God bless

BIG HUG