Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Anyone More Insecure After A Loss?

Is anyone else more insecure in relationships (of any kind) after losing someone? It could be with friends, lovers, or anything. I find myself needing more assurance from others, questioning in my mind if people still like me, if what I said earlier sounded strange, if people would even notice if I passed away. I wasn't like this before, but it's been a problem after my loss.

Guest Nicholas

I would think this is just a normal reaction of bereavement - enhanced anxiety and insecurity. You are worried what people might think of you, what they might say or if they might even start to feel uncomfortable and avoid you. One of the hardest things is meeting people again for the first time after your loss - especially if they hadn't heard the news - though I now do avoid mainly local people who didn't really know my son and I just used to have the odd gossip with. I have always been insecure anyway, so I haven't noticed that much of a difference, the only difference would be my avoidance of a few people and sticking to a set group of friends and family. Ironically, my loss has also brought me closer to two members of my family, plus some online friends, that I had little to do with before.

Nicholas

I am right now BIG TIME! I'm not comfortable around others & I'm so afraid of making decisions now that my better half is gone. I use to be the most confident secure person, but now not so much. I saw some friends last weekend who my dh & I use to hang w/ & the husband even commented on how quiet I was(I'm a talker) I said yeah I'm alot different w/o my sidekick aren't I? I think it will take time to figure out who you are w/o that person in your life & be comfortable in your own skin. Its part of the journey.