Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Very busy week last week, we opened "Sweeney Todd" at the Lyric Theater. It went great, but sure am tired this week..resting up for the second and final weekend. I am part of the stage crew in this one, and enjoying myself. This is the hardest musical our community theater has ever produced!!!

What looked like a negative, turned out to be a positive today. I was at the flower shop, after exercise class, to send flowers to a friend in hospital. Locked myself out of my car. My daughter had the extra keys, but she could not leave work until her next plane got in (she is manager for Seaport Airlines at our airport) So I sat on a rock wall beside my car, and waited about 30 minutes. It was great, sunny, windy, and it was very peaceful. I did not have my phone, or my kindle, so I just sat there and let my thoughts roam. Should do that more often.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Anne, am so glad the dogs are okay!

Harry, That is a good sum raised, I'm sure you are glad!

Mary, sometimes these unexpected things cause us to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. I'm glad that turned out to be a good time for you.

I cleaned out my freezer (some blackberries seemed to explode all over during the electrical outage somehow) and it wasn't as daunting a task as it at first looked. I survived my Monday back at work and am still fighting infection in my dog's foot. (will take him back to the vet on Wed.) On a humorous note, when I initially took him to the vet, (he weighed in at 111 lbs of solid power and muscle) it took four of us to hold him down so the vet could shave his fur off and staple the pad and dress his foot. The dog was completely traumatized as he's a big drama queen and wasn't familiar with this vet or facility (ours was closed due to the elec. and roads) and didn't know why all these people were trying to torture him and why was mom in on it! He was having problems with his digestive system and two days later I called the vet again, thinking it could be the antibiotics, and I heard the receptionist exclaim, "Oh it's ARLIE!" and then the vet came to the phone and after being told about his extreme discomfort and not feeling well, he retorted "We don't need to see him!" He repeated himself again for emphasis. Poor Arlie, even those who are supposed to love and understand animals have no empathy for him! I did think it kind of funny though, boy they sure didn't want to see him again! Unfortunately our beloved vet has retired and we haven't found one like him...

Spent all afternoon and evening throwing up...amazingly, no one at work seemed to care so I had to stick out the day. Sometimes a positive is nothing more than having a day finally end!

Dear friends,

Crazy couple of days.

Met with a state rep yesterday on some ACS issues on tobacco. He will back the bills.

Today I got asked to join the Dana-Farber gastro-intestinal department visiting committee. The group looks and advises and helps raise money. It's a two year term if I get final approval.

Peace,

Harry

Well, Harry...whoever this approval team is needs to know they are fools if they fail to approve you. Keep us in the loop....Mary

Positive for today... had a friend over to do laundry here and played cards, ate, talked for hours, it was fun.

Dear Friends,

Busy few days. Lots of positives:

1. Finished painting the craft room which will now become my library/office.

2. Got the rails up for adjustable shelving in that room. Now all I have to do is build the desk and shelves.

3.Went to the Bridgewater State University Relay for Life last night. A former student set up a Walking with Jane team there. They had raised $720 by the time I left about 1:20 a.m.

4. I have the board picked for the Walking with Jane Foundation and all have agreed to join it.

5. Our WWJ Relay for Life of Greater Fall River team has crossed the $4000 mark.

6. My Jimmy Fund Marathon Walk webpage is set up and raising money.

7. I had my first "nice" dream about Jane--one that did not involve her death.

Still way too much to do--but I am beginning to see some progress.

Peace,

Harry

Harry, it sounds like you're accomplishing a lot and that always feels positive!

In 1989 Rich and I bought the 35 acres adjacent to us so we could have access to our back hayfield. It also came with a house and we became reluctant landlords. Since Rich has died, I really dislike being a landlord. The current occupants have been there 6 years and are terrific people, but we have never had much contact with each other. This past month, they have been calling me once a week and asking what they can do for me. They are coming over a lot, mostly to borrow tools so they can do their own repairs, but also to help me. It is such a relief to know they are willing to fix things themselves. It has really lifted my spirits.

Beth

Dear friends.

another hectic day that has left me exhausted. Went to "Noises Off" production and laughed insanely for two hours. The set was a bear, but if you get a chance to see it, do Or you theater group has a chance to do it, do it. The housekeeper is Carol Burnett to a T.

Did the three mile MS Walk this morning in under 50 minutes without killing myself, then had a good chat with a math teacher from my old school who has MS about everything but.

Went to the Relay bowl-a-thon this afternoon and caught fire mid-way through the second string. I rolled a 142 in that string--but we will not talk at all about the first string. A good time was had by all--and thge team sponsoring the event made some good money in the process.

But I am pretty well beat from the weekend's efforts and forecast an early night.

Peace,

Harry

Last night the weather predictions said 4-8" of snow so I decided to drive into town and trade my Civic in for my son's Pathfinder so I could get down the mountain in the morning. I thought it'd be fun to take my dog Arlie with me and we could go for a stroll at the park and top it off sharing a sandwich at Subway, which has outdoor covered picnic tables. I stopped at the store afterwards to get some ice cream to take to my GF's house for a few min. on the way home.

I got to the Pathfinder and discovered the battery was 100% dead. I charged it and tried to get Arlie to jump in...nothing doing. When he injured his foot he tried to jump into the back end and missed and now he's afraid to try. I pulled, prodded, cajoled, coaxed...nothing. At last, he slipped out of his collar and away to freedom. He greeted dogs, chased a cat, ran towards the railroad, to my horror. I tried for 40 min. to get him to come to me...nothing doing. At last I called my neighbor as Arlie adores him and I thought maybe he'd come to him. He came down the mountain, unfortunately in his son's SUV instead of his own pickup, and Arlie would not come to him as he didn't know his son or the SUV. Finally I had my neighbor get in my car, put the open icecream on the floor, had him pull his seat forward a bit, and open the door, and at last Arlie got in. Grrr!

I made it home but still w/o the Pathfinder and I just cried. I felt tired...tired of being sick, tired of electricity going out, tired of wood running low, tired of back out with no one there to massage it, tired of struggles at work, struggles with money, struggles, struggles, struggles. I felt so alone. Just then, Dwayne called. When I got off the phone, I prayed, there was nothing else I could do since everything seems out of my hands, and I asked God to NOT LET IT SNOW MORE THAN AN INCH THAT NIGHT! I woke up to less than an inch. And that is my positive for today. One day at a time. Tomorrow, hopefully there won't be too much snow so I can get to work and Tuesday I'll deal with the dead battery when Les Schwab is open and I am here.

This morning, I helped with Children's Church. It's honestly not something I genuinely look forward too. There are too many kids and frankly, they get on my nerves!!!

Our church is very small, and the congregation is basically old, like me! We do have probably 6 to 8 kids from 3 years of age to 4th Grade. We tend to them all in one group, as there just aren't enough volunteers to do anything else.

Soooo.. I was sitting next to Little Miss Emma (4 years old.) She's adorable with blonde hair and huge blue eyes. Today her hair was up in pigtails. Really cute.

We were coloring and talking, Miss Emma and I. Here's the best conversation of the morning......

Little Miss Emma: I'm writing my name, you write yours, but don't do it all wavy. (She demonstrated with fluttering hands the all wavy part.)

Me: Ok. You print your name and I'll print my name next to yours.

Miss Emma: (With a voice indicating she was concerned that I did not get the wavy writing thing.) Is print all wavy?

Me: No!

Miss Emma: (working hard, her little tongue sticking out of her mouth while she was printing her name.) I'm done, Now you write your name.

Like a good soldier, I complied.

Miss Emma looks the two names over carefully. Then she announces.... HEY! Look! Our names have two of the same letters......E & A!

Wait for it.......

She looks at me with those big blue eyes and announces....."We're twins!!!!!" :lol:

Just too darn cute!

Been a nice weekend Cooper the dog arrived from Washington, so damn cute and timid he wouldnt leave my side, but when he got around the other dogs, he came to life, not realizing that he is probably a tenth of their size! Amazing o me that he as a Jack Russell is so quiet and timid!

Ed had a brainstorm, which was something that I had thought of many times, but never had the time so I use to spend hundreds of $, a yr on grooming the dogs, fortunately after Mike died, my groomer took pity and took care of the dogs for next to nothing, but alas quickly a yr has gone by with me dealing with my recovery, and the dogs were neglected, so today we bought clippers and did it ourselves, have to admit, not near as nice as the groomer....but alot cheaper, the Standard Poodle, wont have Poms, but who cares she is much more suited to be a ranch dog vs being prissy!

Anyhow, actually it was hard work, but it was nice to me outside! Dave

Dave,

Was Cooper abused before you got him? HRH Miss Sophie was abused and neglected, almost starved to death, before she was rescued. As a result, she was extremely timid and fearful when we took her to "foster"? It took time, calm, and encouragement to allow her to experience that the world is a safe place and people are just fine to be around. It sure helped that we also had Champion when loves her and thinks she is his little daughter. She's a personality plus character now, love wins over all things!!!

Good for you guys on grooming the dogs. I know it is hard work, but sounds like you two will get the hang of it and will be able to take care of that task in no time. Who needs a prissy ranch dog anyway?? :P

Sounds like a great day!

Anne

My Dear Friend Kay,

We all need a little pick me up from time to time. I was so sorry to hear about all the trouble that you had just gone through, but this voice inside kept telling me to call you. I am glad that I could help pick you up again.

Right now I have no time for anything. My internship is going great. My supervisor tells me, I am one of the best she has seen in a long time. As of today I have over 150 successful Venipunctures, I have only missed 12 times. Not bad for only 2 weeks and 1 day. I only needed 75- 100 successful sticks, for my internship.

I was busy doing the play at BCC Community College from the 23-25 of March. Dress rehearsal on the 23 and 2 shows on the 24, singing at church on the 25 the back to BCC for the last show. The first seen of the play was a young girl passing away from cancer. On the 25 it was 1 year and 1 month when that seen took place, and 1/2 hour after Pauline had passed away. I remember laying in bed with her at that time wait for the hospice nurse to come. I was holding her and talking to her during that time. I was up front ushering people, for the first half of the play. I could not watch it on that day.

All in all I am doing really great, still get waves of grief, but are able to ride them out, and not let them effect my schooling, or internship.

Take care everyone,

God Bless

Dwayne

Kay, I know it was not funny, but your post made me smile a little. It was just a comedy of errors (or things going wrong) with poor Arlie, and the car and the battery and Arlie's great escape and the neighbor and his son and his sons car .....I hope you are not offended, but it could make a great short sit-com episode. However, it also made me feel like crying for you, because I understand that feeling when everything seems to go wrong. I am so glad Dwayne called you and lifted your spirits, and that you got less than one inch of snow. Thinking of you.

Harry, I have not seen the stage production of Noises off, but only the movie with Carol Burnett. Our community theatre group (appropriately named The Theatre Company) has looked at it a time or two, and may consider doing it in the future. I have read the stage play, however, and do like it as well as the movie. Glad you enjoyed it. We just finished a production of "Sweeney Todd", a real challenge for a theatre group in a small bible belt town!! Music was very hard, but the production was very successful, and I don't think we offended anyone!! lol I prefer comedy myself, and not musicals, just straight comedy. I have directed several and love doing them.

I think if I had watched the episode with someone else playing the parts (Arlie's great escape) I would have been amused...however, at the time it was the end of the rope for me. :)

Today was good, survived work, Cooper enjoyed his day at his grandmothers house, and recieved word that we were approved for a new home! It has been my desire not to live in this heat of phoenix all the time, it was a dream of mine before I met Mike, it was a dream of Mike's also.......and it is a dream of Ed's also........and now I,we have the option of leaving the area.....live where it is green, with seasons...and yet stay nearby my family,in case something should happen...I really am excited about this, but yet something says to slow it down.....not my time with Ed, but slow down more changes.....wow I am rambling, maybe should post this in a new topic! I am just gratefull that this could be the last summer I have to spend full time in the frying pan, called Phoenix! Dave

I took my dog back to the vet today to get his staple removed from his foot and she said "no charge", that was a positive! :)

A circle of friends via Facebook, email cards, email, u.s.mail sharing lunch and gifts for my birthday. I am blessed.

Mary

Positive for yesterday, impromptu dinner at my house with friends. Tried a new recipe "healthy chicken in oven" and called a few to come share. Great time with good people. Kay, glad Arlie got his staple out, and that you did not get charged!!