Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Near Death Experiences And Grief

Has anyone here read about near death experiences - or "life beyond life"? Anyone believe in this?

I've been completely immersed in any and all literature that has to do with this kind of thing. Of course it's because it's comforting - since I hope to be with my husband again someday. But also because it lends a sense of meaning and purpose to this life. I've been devouring books on this subject. Two of my closest friends believe that when we die, we die. We just cease to exist - like not being born. I can't discuss this philosophy with them, because it inevitably brings me down. But I know my grandmother had a near death experience - with all the basic elements. It makes me hopeful.

Anyone else here (besides Mary (mfh) - I know you're as interested as I am) into this area of science/philosophy?

Melina

• Upvote 1

I am open to this and you have inspired me to purchase a book by Lewis LaGrand on Amazon. I have not had the energy to look into this field. I have been disappointed that I have not sensed any message from Rich since he has died.

I have had many serendipitous events happen to me in my genealogical research so I've been thinking that Rich would also reach out to me. He said he would. Maybe some reading on the subject can help me be more receptive.

Beth

Melina, I have had many, many things happen to me after Mike died, that were to much to deny that, for me, life goes on .....in what form? That i dont unders tand......but after my incredible exoerience with the Psychic drawing a pic that resembled Mike, very well, different repeated sounds in the house.....the list goes on and on of the many different, unique things that have occured since Mikes death that has given me great hope and encouragement, that our relationships will cont.....In fact today going to work, in a different vehicle that Mike had never been in the smell of his cologne enveloped the vehicle.......was very comforting! Dave

Hi Metteline,

You are right, of course, you and I have shared a lot about our interest in this and frankly there is far too much evidence to deny life after death and NDEs. If I thought that this was it, a huge part of my reason to be would disappear. And of course, being reunited with Bill, however that works, is so so important to me. Maybe others will chime in here on this discussion.

Peace (and I am glad you are here)

Mary

I just bought "Consciousness Beyond Life" by Pim van Lommel. More of a scientific angle on the subject. It's good so far. I've also read the Moody book "Life After Life". I tried to read the one by P. Atwater - but she seemed too flaky in general, so it lost some of its authenticity.

I'm trying to pull myself away from this subject - read something else. I used to read a lot, but it's hard now to concentrate.

Melina

Dear Melina,

You know my position on this.. I believe totally that there is another plateau we go to , for believers, we feel their presence, for non believers.. they look at us as if we're crazy. I think that many people have had experiences with loved ones but won't admit to it because they're afraid of what people will think.

I've told you a few of my experiences, and still get little reminders that he's still around . Keep believing.. no one knows what the universe holds.

Dave.. when Lars and I got married, the first Christmas I bought him a new cologne"Brut". For all our life together, even after retirement and as he got sicker the first thing he would do in the morning was put the Brut on. Not surprisingly, I smell it often throughout the house.

Lainey

Lainey,

Yes, I know you also hold the same views. Forgot to mention you - sorry. I remember you mentioning also that you caught the scent of Lars' aftershave in the house. Both you and Dave are lucky to have that scent to hold on to. Thyge never wore a cologne, but once I thought I smelled his "scent" while lying in bed one night.

I had the strangest dream last night. I was wandering around a strange city alone and I was crying. The city grew bigger and bigger and I was completely lost. I was grieving and feeling miserable. Then suddenly I was on a boat. Thyge was on it and my father - who died in 1999 - was steering the boat. I've never dreamt of my father before. We weren't that close. On the deck were several other people - one was a friend of the family who died of Alzheimers two years ago. I left the boat to lie in the sun on some rocks together with one of my sons and my mother, and then the boat sailed on without us.

It was a strange dream. I had two very real dreams of Thyge a couple of months after he died. In one of them we were walking up a path toward the woods together. He was young - about the same age as when we first met. The day was sunny and bright and he threw back his head and laughed as though he hadn't a care in the world. I like to think that was my message.

Melina

Melina, dear, I love the conclusion you've drawn from your dream ~ and who is to say it was not a message from your beloved?

I read an interesting article on Facebook this morning that you may want to read: Finding the Truth in the Light

I don't know if you do Facebook, but if you do, you might be interested in Terri Daniels' Afterlife Awareness and After-Death Communication page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/interlife/

And it certainly goes without saying that I am very happy that you're still here with us wub.gif

Melina,

Yes I believe in life after. I read a book by Betty Malz years ago "My Glimpse of Eternity" and it was good. I had a near death experience once, my kids were little, I went to donate blood. They took my blood pressure and it was borderline, but they went ahead with the draw. They almost lost me, they couldn't get any blood pressure. They laid me down and I could see my kids looking on, worried, and I could hear them talking but their voices were getting far-away. I felt like I had a choice, to go or stay. To go felt beckoning and good, but I thought about my kids and I didn't want my husband to have to raise them alone so I chose to stay...then the voices started returning to normal and they started getting me back. It was weird. I also had a dream once about a car wreck and again, I felt I had a choice. I chose to stay. We all think we would choose to go be with our loved one now but we don't know until we're faced with it, then we make the choice. I don't know that everyone gets a choice, but sometimes that happens.

The New York Times published the eulogy of Steve Jobs (given by his sister, Mona Simpson) that reads:

"Before embarking, he'd looked at his sister Patty, then for a long time at his children, then at his life's partner, Laurene,

and then over their shoulders past them.

Steve's final words were: OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."

Dear Melina,

I truly BELIEVE in life after passing. I Do Not like to call it death, because we do not die, we PASS from this space of time into another realm or plane of existence.

I had 2 experiences when I was a young child, maybe 5 the first time. The strange thing is they both happened at the same place. Loveland Colorado.

1. I was watching my Mother Uncle working on a roof. He had used a smaller ladder to go onto the porch roof and a long ladder to for the roof of the house. Now the were wooden ladders. I was sitting in the yard watching him work, he was all done and was brining down the long ladder. It got away from him, and fell, struck me right on top of my head. I was out. The next thing I know, I was above everyone in the living room, my body limp on the sofa, my Mother, her Aunt trying to revive me. I do not know how long this was like this. I can still see it like yesterday. All of a sudden I was in my body with a massive headache. I knew from that point on, even as young as I was, that we just pass to a different plane.

2. Same Place only this time it was winter. We had gone up to do some Pheasant hunting. Us smaller boys could not go. So we played around the farm. Behind the barn was a river. In Colorado, for those of you who do not know the water runs fast in the rivers, because, the rapid change in the altitude. Well boys being boys, we had to play on the ice. Mom called us in for lunch. Me being the smallest in size, my 2 younger brothers took off for the house, I took a different angle, well I fell though the ice. The water was ice cold and moving fast. In seconds I was a good 100 feet from the hole in the ice and just moving further away. All of a sudden, it was like a glove of a higher spirit in the hand of time, had wrap around me and pulled me back to where I fell though the ice and gently laid me on the rivers edge.

So does life stop when these bodies of ours fail and give out, NO, we just pass on to a different plane, a high level.

I know you remember when I had my operation on Pauline's 5 month date of passing. July 25, 2011. As they woke me up in recovery the last thing I saw was Pauline's face, HAPPY, HEALTHY, SMILING, even the same hair color I had dyed for her 5 weeks before she passed.

As you know, I am in nursing school. I only sleep 3-4 hours a night. Many mornings, I have woke up at 4 AM with my light on, glasses still on and my book still in my hand, only to study some more before school. Some times it is my Bible in my hand. After school I lay down for about 1-1 1/2 hr nap. Many times, I have been woken up by Pauline's voice, just saying BABE. I will look at the clock and it is exactly the time to feed our little dog Sugar.

I miss being on here, and talking with all my friends on HOV. I am doing well, school is going great, I have finals in Phlebotomy next week, clinical and written, so study, study, study. That is all I can do now.

God Bless, all of you, I pray for good health, mind, body, and spirit.

Love to All, Dwayne

Dwayne, when I had my near death experience, I also seemed above, looking down on what was going on. Voices grew faint even though they were right there with my body.

See my post (response to Marty under my dream post from yesterday). It has some life after life stuff I have experienced. I have more also. EG I fell asleep in the chair one night after eating a little Mounds bar...fun size. I did not know that the chocolate fell on my sweater (Bill liked this one-his favorite). When I woke up there was dark chocolate all over the side of the sweater. I was too tired to deal with it so I put it where Bentley could not reach it and went to bed. The next morning I went to wash it out and there was not one trace of chocolate to be found. I searched carefully for the mess I had created. It was perfectly clean. He apparently likes to clean things because my friend (who we have known for 40 years) was visiting a month after Bill died. Bentley, our dog, had her black knit slacks covered with fur (he was due to be groomed). She said she would clean them in the morning and went to bed. In the morning, she asked me if I came into her room and took her slacks and cleaned them because there was not one dog hair on them or anywhere around them.

I have more....if anybody can explain these....I am open. i have had three friends tell me after Bill died that Bill came to them and asked them to take care of Mary. I do not know....all I do is watch and write down what happens. Numerous dreams that felt like he was really here. And then of course some nightmares.

Mary

Another fascinating site to explore: AfterLife TV with Bob Olson: Searching for Evidence of Life after Death.

Bob Olson is a former private investigator who began his search for evidence of life after death following the death of his father in 1997. Learn more about him here: http://www.afterlifetv.com/about/

and here: Best Psychic Directory

I have watched Afterlife TV and read the website. I truly enjoy it and have only the tiniest of doubts that we go on and that we can relate to earth folks. I am grateful for that belief and faith. It just makes sense especially after reading so much. Listening to Bruce Lipton, a once non-spiritual but now very spiritual cell researcher was so very helpful also. There is a free interview with him at Sounds True (as well as all his books). He was a researcher at the UW in Madison for years and left because what he was learning in his cell and stem cell research conflicted with what he was told to teach. If interested in this go to this website, then go to radio interviews and scroll to Bruce Lipton. I could not get an address just for that interview. They changed the site (of course). Sorry.

He now is a guest lecturer at various universities.

http://www.soundstrue.com/authors/Bruce_H_Lipton/?component=stradio

Thank you for more links, Marty.

• 2 years later...

Dear Ones, I've just taken the time to watch a video that was recommended to me by a colleague, and I strongly encourage you to do the same. Allow an hour, but know that this is well worth your time:

Deathbed Visions, and After-Death Communication in Grief and Grief Counseling, featuring Dr. Janice Holden:

"Research on three transpersonal experiences surrounding death -- near-death experiences, deathbed visions, and after-death communication -- indicates that they are virtually always a source of comfort, reassurance, and hope to the bereaved. In the talk, Dr. Holden defines and provides examples of each type of experience, presents research results that indicate the overwhelmingly beneficial effects of these experiences for the bereaved, and explains how counselors and other health professionals can interact with the bereaved about these experiences in ways that best promote the progression of the grieving process and the general well-being of the bereaved."

http://youtu.be/tjo9qbQA_Qg?t=5m23s

Well, this was indeed worth the time spent listening. Thank you, Marty, for sharing this video here. So very many good points but I have to admit that Dr. Holden's story about the hour glass brought me to tears.

I am much better informed about near death experiences, deathbed visions, and after death communications.

Anne

Unbelievably terrific! I am listening for the third time! I wish I knew how to save videos on my computer but alas, I'm not that literate. I did share it on Facebook so I can hopefully find it again.

Marty, is there a way to make this a sticky so we don't lose it?

The only thing I can do is to "pin" the entire thread to the top of the list of topics in this forum, Kay, which I just did. That way, it will always be listed at the very top.

One way to insure that you'll always be able to find the link to this presentation is to bookmark it as one of your favorite sites.

Thanks!

At first, I too had a similar thought "wishful" . So many things were happening in my home that I began to doubt my own sanity. I even believed I was doing things myself as if perhaps sleep walking or something. During my early stages of grief and in my first year, I was offered counseling from hospice in my own home whenever I needed. I learned that I wasn't crazy and that this happens quite frequently. This is a very good video Marty. Thank you for posting it. I can never listen to or read enough about this subject and when it has happened to you, you never think of your own death quite the same. Fear is not an option.

When I had a bad fall climbing, I was rushed to the hospital. I don't remember much about the trip, except that I had no pain at the time.

But at the hospital, in the ER surgical, as they were preparing me for a few procedures, I distinctly remember leaving my body, being up among the HOT lights on the ceiling, and I could feel their heat. But I had great peace. I could see everyone down there working on me, and one nurse was over to the side, saying short prayer that they would save me, and I remember thinking how kind of her that was, but also that there was nothing to fear. She was also afraid for me because the doctor was not a very good one. I watched her holding my hand, and the doc came in and there was whiskey on his breath (it was the weekend, a small hospital in a small town in Idaho, and there was a turkey shoot where he had been partying) and he was jovial, but no one seemed to think much of him. I saw the nurses trying to clean all the blood from my head, and I saw my wounds. I watched the doc again, and then I was asked by a warm light being if I wanted to stay, and I remember thinking I had better get back in my body and protect it from the doc. And when my pulse started, the nurse who had been praying was almost in tears. (She took care of me all the time I was there. I am sure she was an angel. She also walked me to the pickup that was taking me to Montana to the hospital here, and told me to see a good ortho doctor immediately when I got home, because I needed more care for my two badly broken arms.)

It changed my life. I quit doing work that was in contradiction to things I believed, resigned from doing work for government agencies, and started only working for NFPs and NGPs whose philosophy I could support. I became more vocal about human rights. I was offered a new job as head of human rights organization, and that is how I met Doug, all those many years ago. Before the fall and what I call 'the journey' I would not have noticed such a quiet, geeky, iconoclastic guy as Doug. But after 'the journey' we immediately resonated. Same frequencies. So, that experience profoundly altered my life in ways that are still reverberating.

And it was one of the most real experiences of my life. Since then, since Doug left, and even a bit before, I have come to have a deep knowing about the next stage of existence and about the strength and eternal nature of spirit. I now see myself as being the steward of this body, but not as being this body.

And with that sense of stewardship, I must go see a doc this morning about an ear infection that is not getting better and may be getting worse. It is a cool morning here, and the coolness of the air is most refreshing. I was out moving water and admiring my bed of Calgary Carpet flowers, and the robust growth of the hollyhocks. The birds are singing, the chipmunks are scurrying about, and the baby rabbits are nibbling on the clover blossoms. Obviously, it is going to be a wonderful day. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

• Upvote 1