Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

fae,

Alas, I've been having "computer challenges" at home and at work, giving me no rest! Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it, soon. before it does me in completely. I am a user, NOT a technician! And I'm hoping for a little rest here and there as I continue with these challenges.

Marty, I read that piece and I love it. It rounds out the practice of meditation...by including how it affects the meditator and those around them. I can relate to that...when I meditate I feel calm and peaceful even afterwards and when I am calm and peaceful, my heart opens. Thanks for posting it. Love, Mary

This article is about breathing.

http://www.huffingto...935203.html

People hold their breath many times each hour. Breathing relaxes us. When we become stressed, we tend to hold our breath as the result of perceiving a threat. The threat can be something as simple as a thought or it can be an event. The brain responds to stress by preparing the body to fight the threat or run from it (the fight or flight response). This response causes the following changes.

increased heart rate and blood pressure

slowing down the digestive processes

decreased blood flow to extremities and increased blood flow to major muscles

increased production of adrenaline (a powerful chemical)

increased production of cortisol (often called the stress hormone) which is produced by the adrenal glands and makes certain glucose metabolizes properly, regulates blood pressure, releases insulin for proper sugar balance, helps your body's immune system, helps your body respond to inflammations.

http://www.braininju...al-changes.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kripalu/meditation-for-sleep_b_2978456.html?ir=GPS+for+the+Soul

A meditation to help you get to sleep...and hopefully stay asleep.

Dear Mary,

I used the sleep meditation last night, and now have it bookmarked on my toolbar. I cannot remember when I fell asleep with such peace and relaxation, thank you so very much. I was able to calm my mind, slow it down, and truly find peace as I drifted into sleep. What a wonderful, helpful tool. You share such healing and helpful gifts with us here, thank you so much.

I hope you are having a peaceful day. Today is the 14th month anniversary of Doug leaving, and I am not going to services, but am going to spend the day being prayerful and thankful for all the good and grace which fill my life. Your presence and example are a blessing to my heart. {{{hugs}}}

*<twinkles>*

fae

fae, I am glad that meditation helped you so much. I have a friend whose husband has Alzheimer's and she is having sleep issues so I will pass it to her. Thanks for letting me know and I hope it works tonight also ;) Mary

Thanks, Marty. I agree that this is a good explanation. People tend to get mindfulness, meditation and guided imagery mixed up. This also refers to guided imagery being a good way to begin to learn the more difficult skills (I use that word loosely) needed in mindfulness and meditation. Thanks for this. Another nugget. Mary

I went through a "guided imagery" years ago and it made me uncomfortable. The guide told me I found it difficult to open up to people and I needed to work on that. I did open up, to George, and was greatly enriched by having experienced that relationship. But some of the other relationships...well, let's just say I'm much more cautious than I even was back then and with very good reason. I guess the feeling I experienced with the "guided imagery" was a "loss of control" and I doubt I'll ever feel very comfortable with that. Quite simply put, I like feeling in control. I guess maybe most of us do. It is, therefore, uncomfortable when things come our way that we have no control over but they affect us...like the medical things Anne is experiencing, or the things that are happening with my pets or my job. Ahh but life is about uncertainty and we do what we can and have to accept what we can't change...that's what the Serenity Prayer has taught us.

I think I like the "mindfulness" meditation better because it doesn't involve another person so much. Maybe mine was just a bad experience but it left me feeling like I wanted to get away and never experience something like that again. Has anyone else gone through something like this?

One more bookcase to empty. It is getting mighty bare in here. As for the house, Kay. I will take your mountain anyday. I miss the mountain beauty and the solitude of rural life. I live right in the village...small as it is...it is a village. I have to decide whether to go to the drop in salad circle tonight....

I have done many many guided imagery meditations myself and used the technique very often with clients. I do believe it has the power to lead you places you might not want to go depending on who is leading it and why...if it is a simple imagery of a walk through a woods that helps a person focus on relaxing and seeing the woods that is one thing but many of the CD formatted GI are more than that designed to assist with various situations but chosen by the person who uses them. It borders on hypnosis in some, just some, instances. I have never had trouble with it nor have any clients I worked with but you are uncomfortable with it and that is all that matters. It is on a continuum from absolutely simple and relaxing to more intense.

This one was eerie, kind of like she could look inside you and see stuff. I'm not comfortable letting anyone in unless I want them in.

Of course, Kay. We don't let just anyone into our homes so why would we do that with our souls? That is when we trust our guts about how vulnerable to allow ourselves to be. Our choice...always.

M

Very well stated!

Brief article with three brief meditation exercises. The first one is one that Bill learned at Mayo Clinic and that kept him calm for many months. He used shells, rocks, feathers and flowers mostly...and I did it with him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/terri-cole/be-more-present_b_3020780.html?ir=GPS+for+the+Soul

Andy Puddicombe: "It sounds so obvious, I know. In fact, you'd think it would go without saying. But training the mind, meditating, being mindful, or whatever else we choose to call it only works if we actively engage with it. More than that, it only works if we practice it regularly, preferably on a daily basis with a considered, gentle discipline." 10 Top Tips for Establishing a Daily Meditation Practice

Great tips, Marty. I especially like #4 to tie meditation to another routine something that you do each day....we do not think about whether we will brush our teeth or have our morning coffee...so tying meditation to something that is already established helps. Mine is tied to feeding Bentley and my morning coffee. Thanks for the neat post.

Or driving. I get tired of my commute because there's times I just want to be home, don't want the time or expense, but if it was suddenly cut, I might miss the chance I have to transition from work to home, to be alone with my thoughts...not that I'm not alone most of the time anyway, but when driving, you're stuck there, you can't go fix dinner or clean the house, you're alone with your thoughts.

http://www.soundstrue.com/meditationmusic/

Free download of meditation music at SoundsTrue.com. You can also find many free podcasts to download or listen to on line.

Dear Mary,

Thank you for the heads up on the meditation music. What beautiful music! I have them all downloaded to my special "Meditation" folder and I have listened to a couple, and am looking forward to listening to them all when this flu leaves.

Thank you so much!

*<twinkles>*

fae

Discipline – it seems that so many things we do in our lives require discipline. The link Marty gave us about establishing a daily meditation practice to maintain a healthy mind rings true here.

I found tip # 8 – keeping an “excuse book” close at hand interesting. I am always finding excuses for delaying meditation. If I were to write down WHY I really would not have a good excuse – just an excuse. Discipline requires training the mind to stay still and that will take a lifetime for me.

Thank you, Mary, for the link to Sound True – I use this link and do find that it is easier for me to listen to background music as I attempt to meditate or else it is just another excuse for me to fall asleep!

fae - I did not know you had the flu! Is that in another post? Anne

I didn't know that either, excuse me for not asking how you were when you called! Are you getting any better?

Hey, everyone, I am fine, just still on the Rice and tea eating plan... I can join Arlie. I can have broth, too. :) You are all such dears. Thank you for the concern.

Kay, you did not know, dear, and I was calling about Arlie, not me.

Anne, Mary posted a link to the best sleep meditations. I use it almost every night, seldom stay awake long enough to finish listening. I will see if I can find it. Here is the link. I listened to it all the way through wide awake first, so I would know I was comfortable with it. I really like it a lot.

Here is the link: http://www.healthjourneys.com/kaiser/healthfulSleep_flash.asp

I cannot say enough good about it, because it also puts me in touch with my body, my tension, and how to relax as I go to sleep. And I am sleeping a lot better now.

Enjoy!

*<twinkles>*

fae

Good idea, fae, think I'll make some green tea, it always makes me feel better inside. Unfortunately, Arlie won't come near it. :)