Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Karen, as much as all of us would like to see Butch's pain abate, I believe everyone would also like to see your pain abate also. It has been a long painful chapter of pain right down to your tooth and your grand son's threat which holds you in deep stress and pain. I am so sorry he is hurting and that your path continues to be riddled with such loss and pain including your furbaby.

I hold you in my heart,

Mary

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Karen, I agree, you've had way too much for one person. I hope you'll ask your dentist for a pain Rx if needed, don't wait until you're out, it's cheap and it can sure help! I've been through multiple tooth extractions and I hate the ones they have to dig out in pieces...you feel like you've been pulverized when the Novocaine wears off!

Dear Karen,

I am thinking about you, and sending prayers and lots of positive energy that your life begins to give you some moments of peace. You have been through so much recently, and I know we are all hoping and praying that some things begin to heal and be better for your soon.

namaste,

fae

Thinking of you as you recover from that awful tooth extraction, Karen. I continue to keep you and your grandson in my prayers. I know you must be very concerned by his fragile state. Take things easy for a few days and remember not to bend down for a few days.

Anne

Hope the pain from the extraction is abating Karen. Praying for that, and for improvement for your Grandson, in his struggles. I hope he will be willing to accept professional help at some time.

QMary

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Finally after a month, the hole from my extraction has healed, although the space is the size of the Grand Canyon. I am doing OK, having reached the 68th year of my birth today and as a whole remain in good health.

My grandson has finally agreed to go and talk to someone and has an appointment for tomorrow. Because he is on the state's insurance, his options for care are limited. He wanted a psychiatrist, but is only covered for a counselor, followed by a nurse practitioner for meds in 6 weeks. There is an emergency clinic if he can't wait 6 weeks. He appears as despondent about losing his girlfriend as we are or have been over losing our spouses and cannot comprehend that we do get through this. I guess we will see what comes from this appointment. I am sad for him that his is so broken, but I don't have the skills need to help. A grandmother's love does not conquer all.

Hoping everyone is doing well. I love you all.

Karen

How very good to hear from you, Karen. Happy Birthday. I am so glad that your mouth is finally healing. I smiled knowing first hand what the size of the Grand Canyon looks like. ;)

It is also so good that your grandson has agreed to get some help. I have prayed for that to happen. Grief affects each one of us so uniquely. I hope he can find some comfort and understanding of his feelings as he talks to someone.

I am sure this is a wonderful birthday gift for you ~ a grandmother's love is unconditional and when one of our grandchildren are hurting, we are hurting.

I hope you will eat cake today and some chocolates.

Anne

Dear Karen,

First of all, Happy Birthday!

I am relieved to hear that your grandson is amenable to seeking some help, and I will be praying along with Anne that he finds someone to comfort and help him. Yes, it is a wonderful birthday gift.

I hope you have a restful and relaxing day, celebrating that your grandson will be getting some help, and that things may be turning around for him. I think grief at that young age can be so terribly devastating in part because youngsters have so small a frame of reference. It is good he has you to help him walk through this. I hope that things continue to get better for you on many fronts, and that you finding some peace and contentment in your days.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Karen, dear heart, I was thinking of you just last evening, wondering how you're doing. How wonderful to hear from you today, and on your birthday, no less. Happy Birthday to You! Please know that we've not forgotten you ~ not for a moment ~ and we continue to hold you close.

fd605cd25ceb8eae1895c1a8eedcc14a.jpg

Dear Karen, Happy birthday...what a great gift - your grandson's agreement to get some help. I am so relieved to know this. Celebrate your birthday with a sense of relief. I am also glad to hear your mouth is healilng. What a long road this has been for you.

Peace,

Mary

Happy belated Birthday Karen. I hope you had a great day. I am glad your mouth has healed and feeling better. It must have been a wonderful gift to hear your grandson say he will talk to someone. I truly hope they help him. It sounds like he was just devastated by the breakup and hopefully the counselor can sort things out for him and give him a new outlook. This is a big step. I will say a prayer for all of you.

Shalady

Karen,

Happy Birthday! Sorry I'm late, I didn't know yesterday when I was on and then was gone the rest of the day.

It seems inexcusable that they could make him wait six weeks! When you have a broken heart, it can't wait like some of our other body parts can. I know about the state's health care, that's what I had last year and they made me wait two months to get my gallbladder removed...others get theirs out right away. I can't believe the pain I endured, having continual attacks. They should be horsewhipped! It seems it's been quite a while your grandson has been going through this, I hope he at least has an appointment and will go in emergency if he can't wait.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Last night, I went to my first "social" gathering. It is a widows/widowers meetup group for over 50's. I joined this group back in October, but have just not felt like meeting a bunch of strangers. Kind of unusual for me, but as we know, it takes a while to get into the "I" syndrome as opposed to "we".

It was dinner & dancing at a Country/Western place which I really like. I knew it would be a bit tough as my Debbie was the Country dancer. The band was great. A bit ironic that the band lead performer is the former owner of the place where Ron and I went on our first date 43 years ago. Other than Debbie's wedding party in Nashville 9 years ago, I have not been in a bar for all those years. The food was good, band was great, and group welcomed me. Of course, it was very crowded and loud, so not a lot of conversation. It's funny though, that even in a crowd, you can be lonely. I did ascertain that all the others have been widowed far longer than I have, but I know that the only way to "get wet" is to jump in with both feet. All in all, I had a good time and will probably go to other functions.

On the homefront, my grandson continues his depression & anxiety. He took the prescribed meds for a month & didn't want a refill as they were not working. I explained to him that sometimes many meds have to be tried before the right combination is found, but he does not care. He saw the counselor only once and told me to cancel his May 1 appt. with the nurse/prac, which I did. He does not care enough to go for treatment.

Cancer is ever present in my life as I lost 2 good online friends last week, also member of CSN. I had met face to face with one of the fellas when he was in the hospital here & the other was my "adopted" Texas son, as we both hailed form Texas. Quite a sad week.

My life feels like a bad soap opera, but I continue to rise each day and move forward. It is still difficult to accept what has happened to my family.

I hope all are well and taking those "baby steps". We survive because we have to.

Karen

Oh Karen, It is good to hear from you, how things are going, even if not great, I've missed you here. I am so sorry your grandson continues to struggle with his depression. Sometimes I think we have to embrace it as a part of us before we can get help dealing with it. It sounds like he's not ready for that yet. It has to be very hard on you, being so close, to see what he goes through. I agree that giving up on counseling and meds is not the answer, I wish he would consider what you say to him.

I'm proud of you for trying that group, and glad you got out and enjoyed some country music. I know you were thinking of Debbie as the night displayed. (((hugs))). You have had a double whammy, to say the least.

Your life IS hard, but I am so proud of you for getting up each day and continuing forward. What else can we do?

Terrible of me, but not all my fault. I am still trying to get the design for the headstone right. The last picture I sent to them was a photo of the Tetons, just the mountains with snow and a lake in the foreground. Something even I could probably draw. They have not fired Mickey Mouse yet as the sample returned to me was of a big iceberg. My son and grandson concur with that opinion.

Because my grandson is so computer savvy, he took their drawing, removed the iceberg and put in what I wanted. I have gone a completely different direction with my design. I am trying for unique, so I chose a "Dust Devil" and a pair of cowboy boots for the corners and a western type heart for the center. I took the finished picture of the headstone, along with separate pictures of each of the items up to the cemetery today. I will give them a while to look it over and hit me with the cost. If it is too much, I will have only the heart. The story for the dust devil and boots dates back to the 70's when we had a CB radio business. Ron was Dust Devil, I was Lady Boots(which is all that I wear), and Debbie was Dusty Shoes. Of course, Robert would be the only one who would even know why those were on the headstone from stories we have told.

I can hardly wait for their next example. LOL Time will tell.

Love,

Karen

I like the uniqueness of choice, I hope they do a fitting job with it. It's funny how we can see things so clearly in our mind and something is lost in the translation between us and their perception! :) I hope it turns out great and does it justice.

HAPPY MOTHER's DAY to everyone. I hope you are having a pleasant day.

It is a bit sad for me as this will be the first time in almost 50 years that I will not hear that from my Debbie. She never failed to call on my birthday or Mother's Day. A bit teary eyed earlier, but my grandson actually gave me a hug which is a special thing for him. Robert is working and I hope to hear from him later.

No special plans, just watching the Diamondbacks as they struggle through their season.

Karen

Dear Karen,

I am sure this is a bit sad or more today. So glad your grandson came through with a hug :wub: ...a well deserved and needed hug. My thoughts and love are with you today.

Peace,

Mary

I understand, Karen, as this is my first year without my mom and I wish more than anything I could go "make her day" as I have every year of my life until now. We don't expect to lose our kids before us though, and I realize this is way harder for you because of that. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you today.

Those hugs are worth gold, aren't they!

Dear Karen,

It is so good to hear from you! I am glad your grandson gave you a hug! I know the day was filled with special thoughts and memories for Debbie, and I hope you were able to have some good memories to lighten your heart a bit.

I am sending love and wishing you a good day, with good memories, and peace for your heart.

*<twinkles>*

fae