Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Webinars For Personal Growth And Healing

mfh

Awck!!  That's what I did too! :)  I'll try the "here"...

• 1 month later...
3c201769-74ff-4a26-94f9-7ffb53a00836.png723d1108-e661-4034-a7f4-d56bbed65165.png

Please register for Free Webinar: Dealing With Multiple Losses

Join Dr. Gloria Horsley, Dr. Heidi Horsley and Alan Pedersen Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends as they discuss with guest Cathy Seehuetter how she has coped and found hope after loss of two children.  One to a drunk driver and the second to suicide.  Text in your thoughts and be part of the discussion.

January 17 at 4pm pst. 

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Brought to you by GoToWebinar®
Webinars Made Easy®

PM_NPV_Divider_v2.png
S.gif

S.gif
  • Upvote 1

Just finished watching the above webinar. It will be available online soon on OpentoHope

There is a powerpoint that was very helpful.Below are the main points since we cannot put a ppt on our forum.

Multiple Losses

Open to Hope Webinar 1/17/2016

Points covered in a PowerPoint presentation

Cathy Seehuetter – guest with Dr. Gloria Horsley and Dr. Heidi Horsley

***Stepchildren or adopted children – all loss is significant – ‘born in your heart’

Issues Related to Suicide vs Auto Death

People are more supportive when the victim of a crash did not cause it

People may blame the victim or family after a suicide

People may have an unspoken “why” after suicide

Stigma of suicide

Changing the language around suicide

Emotions Related to Loss

Shame

Anger

Guilt – there is such a thing as sibling guilt

Fear

Intense sadness/depression

Coping Strategies – How do we cope?

Physical exercise

Meditation – quiet time

Reading

Creative activities

Walking

Writing/journaling

Relaxing Techniques

Hug – you can even give yourself a hug

Listen to music

Practice gratitude

A night out with understanding friends

Give yourself a break – it’s okay to laugh

Reach Out

Let others support you

Use discussion groups – find ‘safe people’ who can handle grief

Helping is healing – be active in organizations related to grief

Do something that you have a passion for – take classes, volunteer

Grief Resources

www.thecompassionatefriends.org  – Scottsdale, AZ meeting in July – rooms are a deal during the summer months

www.Opentohope.org 

www.allianceofhope.org

www.MADD.org

I hope some of you have seen this. In my opinion, it is very helpful if you have had multiple losses.
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for taking the time and effort to give your summation, Anne.  I wish people in the other areas here would venture over here and see what there is.  You've listed the coping strategies and everything!  I wish I'd had time to view the presentation, but unfortunately am up to my eyeballs in something right now...

• Upvote 1

This from our friend and colleague Ashley Davis Bush:

Grief Discussions
Ashley Davis Bush, LICSW
If you're grieving, it may not feel like a "Happy New Year".  Yet, it sometimes helps to remember that you are not alone with your grief.

I have resources to share that may help you feel less alone.
Radio Show on "Living with Loss" -- Listen to my recent BlogTalkRadio discussion with Susan Lager where we discuss ways to cope with life-changing loss.  You can listen to the archived recording Here (click on the show in the right hand column)

Discussion with Dr. Pat -- I recently joined Dr. Pat on "The Dr. Pat Show" and shared my thoughts on the topic "Hope in Times of Loss."  You can listen to the archived show Here.
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Laurie Nelson Lehey, RN, MS
S.gif    
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
d1e5a5b6-0249-45a9-9ad9-555f036ad907.jpg  

Aft631769b0-3314-4d6d-8c32-67f067e12a55.pngerTalk Live will interview Laurie Lehey, RN, MS about the use of acupuncture in treating grief. 
Laurie is a Registered Nurse who's career path took her from the operating room to Hospice Homecare, and 
now she has a Master of Science in Acupuncture. 
She came to acupuncture believing that it was utilized for physical pain. When she started working with 
people, she came to see that often there was 9f842971-e306-4a82-91e5-1d8bbcc48d8e.jpg an emotional component to people's pain, and a physical 
component to people's emotional state of being. 
Laurie began to notice a pattern, where different emotions get stuck in different areas of the body. 

Grief and Sadness, in particular, rest in the chest, and over the actual physical heart.

To hear more, tune into BlogTalk Radio today at 3pm. After this broadcast, the interview will be archived and available to you. Please use this link to hear the interview at or after 3pm today, Wednesday February 3, 2016:

S.gif
S.gif

S.gif
S.gif

S.gif
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

This just in from our friend and colleague Peggy Haymes:

I'm offering another free webinar this Friday:

Can I Be Angry? Anger, faith and living a real life

You can find out more here

There will be a replay available only for those who register for the webinar.

Do you have a friend who struggles with feeling guilty for being angry - or thinks that if they were more spiritual they wouldn't angry? Share this link with them for more information and registration:

https://www.bigmarker.com/Peggy_Haymes/Embracing-b...

I just finished watching the Peggy Haymes webinar on anger. I thought it was excellent. It will be available for a replay soon.

Some slide highlights: I missed some things but will watch it over again...

Can I Be Angry?   by Peggy Haymes

Natural emotions all have a purpose

Grieving honors the heart of a person

Grief honors loss

Purpose of anger

Letting us know that a boundary has been crossed

Something has happened that shouldn’t have happened (or vice versa)

Strong emotion that gives us energy to bring about change

Strength to stand up for yourself

Anger can be a wake-up call to look at our own lives

Men are given more permission to feel anger instead of expressing feelings of sadness or vulnerability

Anger at ourselves

Safer to be angry at ourselves than someone else

Frees us fro advocating for change/confrontation (lets us off the hook)

Learned behavior/introject

Legitimate anger at self

Change comes when someone gets angry enough to say, “Enough!”

Anger and faith

“Only my servant Job has spoken rightly by me.”

Read all the psalms not just the happy ones

Even Jesus did some "table flippin”

There can be no real relationship if we can’t show our feelings

Giving ourselves permission to matter enough to “have the right” to be angry.

You Do Matter. It’s OK to be angry ~ you’re feelings matter

What to do with your anger?

Go out and exercise ~ release that energy ~ burn it off

I shred paper ~ lots of it

Do things that are safe.

Clean things ~ get rid of stuff.

Anger Needs Expression

www.externalizationworkshops.com

Writing a letter that you are NEVER EVER going to send.

Hand write it ~ to a person or about something 

It can be a huge release.

What does anger have to say to me?

Spirituality and anger need each other.

I agree, Anne ~ I thought Peggy's webinar was outstanding, and I appreciate your sharing your notes with us. I especially liked her notion that "spirituality and anger need each other," in the sense that spirituality by itself (i.e., spirituality that is too soft and too sweet) is phony and not genuine and real. By the same token, anger by itself can be aimless and destructive. Sometimes whatever is making us really angry cannot be changed overnight; at such times our anger is in need of direction and hope. Spirituality tempers anger, and anger keeps spirituality real.

Peggy described the Externalization Workshops as providing "a safe container to work through unfinished business" associated with trauma, grief and loss. The workshops are led by staff of the Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Center (USA) and offered at various times and locations all over the country. 

I hope other members will take an hour to listen to this wonderful presentation. Peggy's soft southern accent is just delightful. Either Anne or I will post a link to the recording of Can I Be Angry? Anger, Faith and Living A Real Life as soon as it becomes available.

• Upvote 1

This comes from our friend Kelly Buckley, author, speaker and bereaved mom ~ and creator of the JOLT (Just One Little Thing) Movement:

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
~Anne Bradstreet~

Spring is just around the corner.  It is my most cherished time of year.  After a cold winter, the trees, flowers and birds know that it is time to awaken and celebrate the sunshine.

When I'm writing, I will often look out over my back yard, watching it come alive.  There's something new each day, and I always look to nature for inspiration in both my writing and life.  Nature is a beautiful classroom, presenting us lessons on life and death, hibernation and rebirth, and resilience and joy....all within the span of twelve short months.  

It is from that learning that I've created a three part video series,
The Roots of Resilience.  As the trees and flowers are awakening, I thought the timing could not be better for us to look within and  rediscover our unstoppable self, and find hope and happiness after hardship.

I've designed the series to be much like my books, Facebook group and personal coaching; to the point, practical and something everyone can adopt into their daily life.   Each video will be accompanied by worksheets, quotes and some recommended reading.  Your resilience is personal and unique to your experiences, so I've designed the series to be an exercise of self reflection. Once you identify where you are, you can decide where you want to go with your life.  

Join me and let's take the
next step together.  If you are ready, you need to sign up here.  Otherwise, you will not receive the videos.  I never want to overwhelm you or your inbox, so only those who are on the list will receive the FREE series.   

I am so excited to get started and I can't wait to see you there!  As always, I hope you open your eyes in the morning and see an abundance of one little things, even if your life is tough right now.  

Sending you a big ole virtual hug, and wishing we could all hang out in my back yard, grill something yummy, listen to the birds and watch the leaves burst from their buds, ready to live again.

Love,

Kelly

• Upvote 2

How do you move forward when "the carpet has been pulled out from under you" with the decline or death of a loved one? How do we make meaning of this situation? Is death the end?

Register to join Terri Daniel and me from the comfort of your home or office on Tuesday, March 15th at 4pm ET/ 1pm PT as we discuss these questions and so much more! Terri is an author, clinical chaplain, certified thanatologist, teacher, intuitive counselor, and founder of the Afterlife Awareness Conference!

safe_image.php?d=AQB2gzwrPh6MYXy7&w=158&
Is death really the end? Terri Daniel has created a conference for scientists and shamans to come…
APP.WEBINARJAM.NET|BY KIM ADAMS, TERRI DANIEL

3c201769-74ff-4a26-94f9-7ffb53a00836.png723d1108-e661-4034-a7f4-d56bbed65165.png

Please register for Our Free Webinar: 
How to Manage the Easter Holiday

Wondering how to get through Easter?  Join hosts Dr. Gloria Horsley president of Open to Hope and Alan Pedersen executive director of The Compassionate Friends, for an informative webinar with Kay Warren bereaved parent, best-selling author and co-founder of Saddleback Church.

March 21, 5:30pm (pst.)

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Brought to you by GoToWebinar®
Webinars Made Easy®

PM_NPV_Divider_v2.png
S.gif
Register Today

S.gif
S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif
PM_NPV_ShadowLB.png
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the webinar How to Manage the Easter Holiday that Marty posted above. Even though the focus was geared to losing a child it applies to all who have lost a loved one.

Here are some Powerpoint notes and it will be on YouTube later on The Compassionate Friends website.

Holidays are difficult to navigate; they turn up the volume on grief, amplifying the pain of loss, and often trigger waves of sorrow

Our goal isn’t to “move on from grief” but to “move through grief.”

We can’t rush our grief. Sometimes we just have to sit with our grief.

Self-care is vital because grief work is the hardest work you’ll ever do. ”Grief goes hand in hand with a wide range of physical and mental problems, including memory impairment, difficulties concentrating, nutritional deficiencies, and poor work performance.

Self-Care Strategy: Body

Eat as well as you can

Get Sleep

Move every day

Get a massage

Stay hydrated

Breathe

Medication - if needed

Self-care: Mind

Attend a Grief Support group

Therapy ~ sometimes a friend just can’t understand – be sure and use a qualified grief counselor

opentohope@me.com -email if you want a recording of this talk and it will be on YouTube soon

Journal, even if only occasionally

Rediscover pleasure – it’s okay to enjoy a holiday

***You can experience both grief and pleasure at the same time

When someone commits suicide adjust your comments to the one you are talking to ~ this is a tough one and the details don’t have to be given out to everyone ~ some people you will tell more of the story to

Forgive ~ let people off the hook ~ sometimes people don’t say the right thing ~ give them a pass ~ each loss is unique

Self-care strategy: Soul

Attend church, synagogue, etc.

Engage in personal meditation/prayer

Being honest with God ~ it’s okay to be angry

Rebuild hope

Accept mystery ~ you won’t always have answers ~ Why? Why? Why?

Create a HOPE Box

A Hope Box is a place for pictures, images, Scriptures or anything else to keep you tethered to hope and give you strength and encouragement in hard times. Put these items in a HOPE Box so you can access them and anchor yourself in them anytime.

Isaiah 45:3 ~ there will be times of darkness and there are still treasures.

Saddleback Church – Kay Warren is a co-founder 

Take a small step to do something during the holiday

Even thinking about it is a small step.

Romans 15:13

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy…

Choose Joy: Because Happiness Isn’t Enough by Kay Warren ~ worth the read

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

This just came in my email and on FB - for today only...A webinar with Tara Brach, PhD and Ruth Buczynski, PhD on How to Diminish Fear's Power in Your Life, Panic Attack Strategies, etc. It will play three times today. 

What is the cost of unfaced fear? Find out today in NICABM's free webinar with Tara Brach, PhD.

safe_image.php?d=AQDLK-CW6qVO8-Ii&w=470&
Join NICABM and Tara Brach for a free webinar today to discover strategies that can free you, or your clients from the fear that could be holding you back.
WWW.NICABM.COM

http://www.onlinemeetingnow2.com/seminar/?id=mn74roigdx  

• Upvote 2

Be Our Guest
Free Webinar:The Power of Forgiveness
PM_NPV_TitleLeftAccent.png S.gif S.gif S.gif PM_NPV_TitleRightAccent.png
S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif S.gif

Please register for The Power of Forgiveness 
Apr 11, 2016 5:30 PM PDT   

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1072444224229609476
Feeling angry and stressed? It may be time to consider forgiveness. 
Join hosts Dr's. Gloria and Heidi Horsley and Alan Pedersen, Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends, 
and their guest Dr. Robert Enright, 
author of over 100 publications and four books on forgiveness. 
Learn about the whys and how's of forgiveness.

PM_NPV_Divider_v2.png
S.gif
Register Today

S.gif
  • Upvote 1

Anne,

I wish I'd watched it.  I don't feel angry so didn't think it pertinent to me, but the truth is, all of us have had "opportunities" in our lives to forgive. The speaker we had at church Sunday night spoke on this, and it was probably one of the more exhaustive "sermons" on forgiveness that I've heard. I could have taught it.  I felt like raising my hand, "ME! ME!" because I could so relate to everything he was saying!  I have had ample times to practice forgiveness in my life, and not just for small things, but really huge, impacting things.  I so believe in the power of forgiveness!  If a person doesn't forgive, it only hurts themselves!  There is no offense by which you're let off the hook either, nothing by which you can say, "Well, that was just too great an offense.  I am somehow exempt from forgiving in this instance."  Whether someone has been violent toward you or swindled you big time, betrayed you or broken your heart, it is within us to forgive...it is freeing even!

Thank you for sharing your notes.

• Upvote 1

Excellent!  He so aptly puts what I have learned in my life.  The sound is, unfortunately, not very clear, so it's hard to understand.

The Power of Forgiveness

Join Dr. Frederic Luskin for an exclusive online talk:

The Power of Forgiveness

May 10, 2016 - CE's Available - Watch live or receive a video recording

Luskin

Forgiveness has been shown to reduce anger, hurt, depression and stress and lead to greater feelings of optimism, hope, compassion and self-confidence. Learn Dr. Luskin's innovative approach to the process of forgiveness with the goal of reducing hurt and helplessness, letting go of anger and increasing confidence.

Learn more or sign up

A message from Lisa Firestone:

Lisa-Firestone-New-Bio-Pic

For decades, Dr. Frederic Luskin has been a pioneer of research on forgiveness. As the Director of the Stanford University Forgiveness Project, Dr. Luskin has uncovered illuminating findings on the benefits of forgiveness to both our mental and physical health as well as our relationships. Being able to forgive can be an essential part of healing. In our discussion on May 10, Dr. Luskin will shed light on how we can all learn skills of forgiveness, deal more effectively with anger and hurt and move on in ways that are more constructive in our own lives.

So many people I know personally and in my practice are holding on and refusing to forgive but, in the end, only hurting themselves. When we do learn to forgive, we find that this action can have a lot more to do with our own well-being than even the person we’re forgiving or the relationship we’re addressing. Forgiveness is about freeing ourselves to live our own lives without the negative echoes of our past. Join me and Dr. Luskin for a fascinating exploration of this significant subject. CE’s are available and sold separately to mental health professionals.

Learn more or sign up

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Coming May 2, 2016, ~ another great FREE webinar with Drs.Gloria and Heidi Horsley, from the Open to Hope Foundation ~ Mother's Day Blues

PM_NPV_ShadowLT1.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT2.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT3.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT4.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT5.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT6.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT7.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT8.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT9.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT10.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT11.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT12.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT13.png PM_NPV_ShadowLT14.png
PM_NPV_ShadowTL.png
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
PM_NPV_ShadowTR.png
S.gif
PM_NPV_ShadowRT1.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT2.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT3.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT4.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT5.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT6.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT7.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT8.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT9.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT10.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT11.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT12.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT13.png PM_NPV_ShadowRT14.png
Be Our Guest
Free Webinar-Mother's Day: Coping After Loss
PM_NPV_TitleLeftAccent.png S.gif S.gif S.gif PM_NPV_TitleRightAccent.png
3c201769-74ff-4a26-94f9-7ffb53a00836.png 723d1108-e661-4034-a7f4-d56bbed65165.png

Join us for a webinar 
Free Webinar: Mother's Day: Coping After Loss
on May 02, 2016 at 5:30 PM PDT.

Mother's Day Blues? Join Dr's. Gloria and Heidi Horsley and Alan Pedersen, Executive Director of The Compassionate Friends, for tips and suggestions from bereaved parent and family systems expert Dr. Janice Nadeau. Bring your questions and comments.

PM_NPV_Divider_v2.png
S.gif
Register Today

S.gif
PM_NPV_ShadowLB.png
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
PM_NPV_ShadowBL.png
S.gif
S.gif
S.gif
  • Upvote 2

I watched the above webinar and found it to be filled with such good advice. I did take notes but it is on youtube now so I wanted to share it here. It is so worth the hour and once again the Open to Hope foundation with Drs Gloria and Heidi Horsley and Alan Pedersen were excellent. Their guest, Dr. Janice Nadeau, was so interesting. I found it well worth the hour. 

• Upvote 2