Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Remembering Kevin

Forty Two years ago, my son Kevin Dale was born. When he was 7 weeks old, we first discovered that he had a problem with his heart. He had heart surgery on his tiny heart and struggled to live, but at 4 months of age, just was too weak and tiny to survive. After even 42 years, it is very hard to think about that day. I think of him every day, and in my heart he will always be that tiny red headed baby boy. His two older brothers have grown up to be healthy productive men, and his sister, born several years after his death, is my delight and my rock. I often wonder what my Kevin would have been like as an adult.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

QMary, I am sorry, I know we never forget. I have lost three babies but before they were born. To get to see and hold them and then have them taken away...that is so hard. How special that he had red hair, did any of your other children get it? My dad was a redhead and I'd hoped one of mine would get it, but they didn't. The only one that did was my sister's baby, Courtney...she lived to be just under two.

I know this day is a day that without bidding, will always be remembered by you, my thoughts are with you today.

I am so sorry, Queeniemary, that you have suffered this kind of a loss. I cannot imagine the emptiness of having lost a precious child. My thoughts are with you today. The scars we must carry as we live in this world. From my heart to yours I send you love. Anne

Dear QMary,

A sacred day....today.

I can't imagine the pain of losing an infant. I am reaching out to you as you wonder what Kevin would have been like as an adult, as you remember that day, and as you feel the pain of his loss. My heart reaches out to you today.

Peace,

Mary

Dear QMary,

My sincere condolences for your loss of your darling baby boy. I think one of the hardest losses is the loss of the future through our children, and the loss of all the dreams and expectations we had with and for them.

Peace to your heart today, dear QMary.

namaste,

fae

It feels so good to talk about him. Kay, my oldest son is also a red head, however, mostly is bald now and turning gray. My daughter was auburn as a child, she is red headed now, but comes from a bottle. lol He was named after my Mother, her name was Dale. It broke her heart when he died. My Mom has now been gone 20 years, and my Dad 15, where does the time go, I am sure I don't know. Mike never knew my baby Kevin, we met long after Kevin died. I would like to think they have gotten acquainted wherever they are hanging out now. Thanks for sharing his Birthday with me, 42 years is a long time ago, but he is still my baby.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

QMary, you have been on my mind all day. I took Bentley to be groomed and got delayed but all day there you were -in my heart and on my mind. He will always be your baby and I bet he and Mike are well acquainted now...Did I miss where all the red hair came from in your kids...was it your mom or dad that passed that on. My dad had red hair...they call him...well...Red sometimes. You were pretty young to have gone through all that loss 42 years ago. Not that it is easy at any age. You and Kevin are in my heart today.

Love

Mary

Joanne Cacciatore posted this today...I pass it on to you, Mary

post-14525-0-06741200-1391477778_thumb.j

4 years, 42 years, 100 years - I don't think there is a day that will ever go by that we don't think of the children we lost, and remembering the day we lost them will always be hard. And like you, in my mind my daughter will always be the age she was when she died (4), though I sadly wonder what she would have been like now or in the future. I'm glad you have had the joy of watching your other children grow. I have four boys - one born after my daughter, Margareta, died - and they are my saving grace. I'm so sorry you had to lose your dear Kevin Dale. You are in our thoughts. Maria

• 1 month later...

Mary, thank you for posting this.

So many think when you lose a child you "get over it" after a year or two. I always find that unbelievable as to how anyone could ever think such a thing, especially from those who have children of their own.

This is a lifelong journey here.

I carry it with me every day.

What a loving mom you are.

Your precious baby resting in the arms of Jesus.

You are welcome, Rose. Yes, we carry our beloveds with us always.