Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Wedding Rings

mfh

:wub:

Mary, your mention of Hawaii brought to mind this picture of Kathy when we went to Hawaii for her fiftieth birthday, just a year before she was gone. I bought her the whale fluke she is wearing around her neck, and it is what I have had around mine for the last two years.

post-15848-0-77467700-1402103764_thumb.j

post-15848-0-22355600-1402103782_thumb.j

Dear Stephen, That is just a magnificent piece of jewelry. It sounds like we both have happy memories of Hawaii. I bought Bill a black coral ring there and he bought me a pink pearl (from Japanese waters) with some diamonds. We were married by that time but the rings were special just as your whale fluke is. I wear a heart with diamonds around my neck, the first gift Bill ever bought me. These things are symbols only but important symbols for each of us....filled with memories and reminders of the blessings of our relationships. That is a lovely picture of Kathy.

Peace

I love it! It is a beautiful reminder of a wonderful shared time together. I have a necklace that I posted a picture of somewhere here (the matching wedding bands are posted a page or two back) that George had made for me. He also custom made an ivory carving of two bears (him and me) hugging. Right now I don't have a camera and am not sure my cell phone would do it justice, but perhaps someday I can post it here.

Thank you Mary, yeah she is a cutie. There is something magical about that place for sure. Kathy had been there so many more times than I. I remember when she said she was going to go for her 50th birthday if I would like to come. She had a way of putting things. I have a "prime directive". She wants to be in Hawaii with her wedding ring combined. I will of course, with me and my ring as well. Kay, I remember seeing your wedding bands and just thinking about the bears makes me smile. I like to wear the flukes because it is a part of her. It was touching her and now it touches me. I doesn't make me feel complete, just a tiny bit less incomplete.

Wifflesnook I get the continuity. True love lasts for all of time.

We did have a fun life.

post-15848-0-45345000-1402146384_thumb.j

Yes, Stephen, it is magical. I have only been there twice and loved it both times. I would not want to live there....too far from everywhere. :)

Stephen, that is a great picture of the two of you! You both look so happy together. That's how our marriage was too.

I can feel that it was Kay. It's in the way you write.

Mary I tell you, if it wasn't for my sons and grandchildren, I would sell everything I own and be out of here so fast spending the rest of my days under that sun. But , alas it will just have to wait.

• 5 months later...

Posted Saturday, November 29, 2014 on Widow's Voice:

Taking The Rings Off by Rebecca Collins

I passed another milestone this week, something I've been approaching and thinking about for a few months but have only now felt ready for - I took my wedding rings off.
Well, to be more accurate, I moved them from my ring finger. I had my wedding band re-sized and it now sits on my middle finger alongside Dan's wedding ring and a small eternity band that I bought myself to complete the set. While my engagement ring, which is much too beautiful to be put back in a box, is now on my right hand. Read on here>>>

Thank you for sharing the link Marty. I still wear my wedding ring, and engagement ring, but on my right hand as pinkie rings, with a turquoise pinkie ring holding them on. The arthritis made them too tight on my left hand, or I would probably still be wearing them on the left hand. I wear them all the time, and on my left hand, ring finger, wear a green turquoise that we bought in Arizona before Mike died. Even if I should ever remarry (very unlikely) the rings on my right pinkie would still be worn.

QMary

I paid $275 to have my wedding ring resized last summer. Now that I'm losing weight, I've switched it to my right hand. I can't afford to resize it again and don't want to put one of those "adjusters" on the inside because it'd cover up our inscription. Someone suggested wrapping yarn around the underside, like we did when we wore our boyfriend's class ring as teenagers. I'll think of something.

• 2 weeks later...

These stories are ver sweet. I made our wedding rings 26 yrs ago when I worked in a dental lab. The process for making jewelry and crowns and partial dentures is the same. They are precious to us both and strong...10ct dental gold...ha ha. Wedding rings are so symbolic and I'm glad ours are made of stronger metal...maybe they all should be. I don't think it is odd the consider yourselves still married. Obviously that lady didn't have a good experience.

• 7 months later...

I am new to this website, I just posted the first time ever last night, which was just 9 days from when my Mike died. Mike and I were planning to get married this August 23rd.

The wedding rings, bought together last year were left at the jewelers, in their safe, to be sure they were pristine and beautiful for our wedding day. Since our wedding day will come and Mike and I will not meet under the chuppah, I am not sure what I should do about the wedding rings.

One person said to me, "Well, it really doesn't matter since you were not yet married." Another said, "Just return his and sell yours since it was custom (my hands and fingers are very small and slender)." Others, like his adult children think since the rings were paid for on paper in his name, they would never consider that perhaps I may have paid for those as an investment in our life together. How can they think those rings are then theirs to sell off for immediate profit.

I want to ask all of those helpful people, is that the direction you would like to hear from people after you spend your life, years, decades or just hours with someone you love with all that you are?

People are so insensitive, the wedding ring whether not worn like the ones Mike and I had purchased or yours from your marriage to your love of your life, are a symbol of your love, your commitment and the eternal circle of your committed love to each other.

I applaud all of you for the love that you have for that special person in your life. Love your mutual wedding rings whether it's resized to fit your hand, on a chain or tucked away safely - temporarily replaced by a token of your love and memories such as the whale piece on a lovely chain. Thank you for sharing your commitment to each other and your story of how the wedding ring in your life was not something you took lightly or threw in a drawer or melted down for immediate profit.

I would go to the jewelers and get them. Heaven help the kids who think they're theirs just because it hadn't occurred yet! How dare they disrespect their dad's and your love and wishes! how dare they!

I agree strongly with kayc. If you can get them, get them. Keep them safe till one day in the future you can decide what you feel is right. You'll know what to do. Sadly you are not the first nor will you be the last to have such experiences with family members on the other side. I still regret doing some of the things I felt pressured to do.

Once you make the decision by pressure or guilt, remember that you can never take it back. Good advice I'm thinking.