Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A Co-Worker Died Suddenly Today

JeL

A healthy friend went hiking today and didn't come back. She died in trail slide. We're still trying to reach her husband and adult kids who all are away in foreign countries. Why? How?

She & I worked together every day. Tomorrow morning at work will not be the same.

I'm reeling this evening.

Jo

Oh Jo, I'm so sorry! There are no words at a time like this. Have they reached her family yet? I will be thinking of you today, I know it will be hard for everyone there, esp. you since you were her friend. (((hugs)))

You ask "why" and "how"...I'm sure you know there are no answers. Life seems to unfold in very bizarre ways sometimes. Sometimes there's a reason, sometimes there isn't. I felt the same way when my husband died so young and without warning.

Thank you...yes, we've reached her family and all are heading home to Alaska. It's a joy-less Monday morning as I get myself ready to begin my work week with trepidation for the emotions ahead. One breath at a time...

Oh my goodness, Jo, I am so sorry to here this news about your co-worker. As you say, "one breath at a time" ~ come here and share your pain with us.

Anne

I'm glad the family has been notified. It will be hard to work, but when my husband died, work was a distraction from the pain, not that you forget even for eight hours. I know it's more complicated with you having worked with her.

It was a tough day at the hospital where I work....I feel so very sad that she died alone. We had a mental health counselor available to us for several hours today, a few of us met with her between our own patient appointments or at lunch time. That was so supportive of our administration to provide that. We're all just beginning to process this awful event.

It's good to know that your administration is enlightened enough to acknowledge the effects of this horrible tragedy on its work force, Jo. Not all work places do that, as I'm sure you know.

Over the years I've found and listed a number of relevant articles and resources on my website's Grief at Work page. Please feel free to share any of them with your colleagues and use some of them yourself.

I'm so sorry this happened, Jo, especially given what you're dealing with already . . .

I've had coworkers die before and no one provided any support so I, too, am impressed that your work force is providing that and hope that those who need it will take advantage of this support.

Thanks for the comments and Marty, thank you for the references. I looked at several and printed out a few to bring to work. Grieving my husband has sharpened my focus... I think that will help me mourning my work friend.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jo,

I’m just checking in to see how you are doing. Besides your Fred’s death last September and your co-workers death at the beginning of this month I’m thinking about you and hoping that you are continuing to find that balance we all talk about.

I remember how some of us talked about what we did on Valentine’s Day and couldn’t help but think about how so many of those holidays bring back memories.

I hope you are doing as good as can be expected. We are here and we do look after one another. I find comfort in that alone. On May 25th I passed the two-year mark of my beloved Jim dying. I am in a better place but I still miss him so very much.

I remember Marty or Mary reminding us about the value of going into memories and acknowledging the pain but just not staying there. It seems to be the case with so many days especially those firsts that we go through.

I am finding the thread “Tools for Healing” very helpful to me. I hope you take a look at it sometime. Take care of yourself.

Anne

Good morning Anne. My thoughts are with you on the 2 year anniversary of Jim's death this week. Yes, going to the warm memories, feeling the loss then moving back to now and focusing forward....that approach helps me day by day.

My community and work circle had another tragedy this week, we lost colleague who disappeared while hiking alone last weekend. After a 5 day multi-agency search including search dogs, helicopters, more than 30 trained rescuers, the state troopers called off the search as there were no leads....she just disappeared without a trace. So many questions and no answers. My heart is heavy with the loss of these two talented women, each one a physical therapist, both in the month of May.

I am so sorry, it's hard to believe that tragedy has struck again so soon. My condolences. I know how the work community is often like a family and when you lose one, it feels like losing a family member. I hope they find what happened to her. Sometimes after search and rescue has been exhausted, a few months later someone just stumbles across them, at least it'd give some needed closure and hopefully provide some answers.