Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Please Tell Me The Dreams Stop

Jenjen2

Since my dad's death I didn't dream much now I am dreaming in vivid detail and they are not ways nice dreams

I dream if coffins of my dad shouting at me me telling my dad off for leaving and just now of people having strokes my dad didn't even die of a stroke

I just want someone to tell me it stops I am a grown woman I shouldn't be scared to sleep but right now I hate it so much

I'm so sorry that these awful dreams continue for you, Jen ~ but I do think there are some things you can try. Did you ever read the article I suggested for you? Here is the paragraph that I especially wanted you to see, and I encourage you to take a look at the materials offered by Belleruth Naparstek. Her guided imagery CDs could be very helpful for you:

The technique of imagery rehearsal is simple enough and safe enough for you to try on your own, if you are so inclined. Instead of picturing your mother on her deathbed, for example, you might think of her in happier, healthier days, capturing one of your most pleasant memories of a special time you had together. Write down that memory and read it over several times throughout the day, and once more before you go to bed at night. Looking at photographs of your mother when she was in a healthier state is another thing you can try. (You can learn more about guided imagery in the article, Guided Imagery or Visualization, and more about Imagery Rehearsal Therapyin this New York Times article, Rewriting Your Nightmares. See also Getting Rid of Repeating Nightmares: A Simple, Potent, New Recipe by Belleruth Naparstek, and Following a Script to Escape a Nightmare and Guiding Your Sleep While You’re Awake, both by Sarah Kershaw.) Other resources you may find helpful include Healthful Sleep: Guided Imagery with Belleruth Naparstek, Tips for Coping with Sleeplessness in Grief, and Looking for Sleep in All the Wrong Places.

I can't add to what Marty has already given you, but I am sorry for the dreams you are having. It would be nice to have some control over what you dream. Do you watch and hear pleasant things as you're going to sleep?

The last post was while on holiday at my nans I came home yesterday and slept fine yesterday so hoping it has settled down a bit think it was where I was there and my dad would normally have been phoning everyday to see how we were and mainly because we told him not too

I am glad you slept fine yesterday. It's weird how a place or event can trigger something.

• 4 months later...

DReams can be unsettling. I had an awful one last night about my mom. I was posting yesterday about the guilt I had about her death so I think this triggered my dream...it amazing they are almost like a full length movie though I know they don't last that long in reality. I do take antidepressants and this is one Of the side effects of that, or can be. I think the suggestions above are good ones. I do think that some aspects of dreams can be healthy, it is our minds way of dealing with our feelings. Hang in there. You are probably stressed. As unsettlingg as they can be, realize that it is a very normal thing and you are not alone.