Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mothers Day

Not sure where to post this. Or how to say what's in my heart...

It's Mothers Day. Happy Mothers Day to all mothers, grandmothers, daughters, sons, wives, husbands... Who are not here anymore, and to those still here grieving for their mothers, children, grandparents, grandchildren, wives and husbands (such as myself) who are missing all involved in this day. For myself, my princess bride and mother of our grown son and our twin angel babies and Grammy to our two amazing grandsons and two more (twins) due in Dec. I'm deeply saddened that our son and grandsons are missing Mary on this... Her day with them... After she left this world four months and one day ago. And I'm saddened yet relieved that my amazing bride is with our twin girls who were stillborn 24yrs ago... In Heaven together... That our beautiful angels are in their Momma's arms. My princess always got flowers from myself, from our son, and from our grandsons on Mothers Day... As well as their own little gifts of art etc...

I got a beautiful bouquet of flowers last night for her for Mothers Day from all of us... And because last night was four months since she left us.

May peace comfort grieving hearts today and may happiness fill those celebrating with parents, grandparents, and children of all ages. As we all remember and honor those not with us here on earth anymore...

God bless... And peace,

And to my bride and mother of our earthly son and Heavenly baby girls and Grammy to our grandchildren... We love and miss you so much. Our hearts ache... But we honor you my love.

Butch

P.S--- Forgive my hard to make sense words... As this day and last night has really hit my heart hard. Words are hard to find. Tears however are flowing like a waterfall. :(

post-16918-0-15971100-1431255476_thumb.j

Oh, I included the flowers I got last night... The red are from myself, the pink from our son (and baby girls in heaven), and the white from our two grandsons and two brand new ones we found out last week on their way come Dec. ❤️❤️❤️

Thank you for your wonderful words, Butch. I am preparing to go and spend time with Mark's mom. Although I know I cannot compare losses (my husband, her son), I do know that today cannot be easy for her, and I want her to be able to share that if she needs to. There was a big family dinner for her last night, but I did not go because I wanted the night to be for and about her. I have a memory of Mark hugging me on this day and telling me he was sorry my mom was no longer here. He was a very loving son, and I wanted to try and carry that on in his honor.

I hope you can have a few quiet moments to listen for Mary's voice, so she can tell you how proud she is of you...and how much she still loves you.

Butch, the flowers are as beautiful as your sentiment.

Maryann, I hope you're enjoying your time with Mark's mom. I would give anything in the world to share this day with George's mom, but alas, she departed just before we met.

Marty, I hope you're enjoying time with your family!

11210476_10153304191902140_8300073015857

For all of us who are mothers or grandmothers ourselves, for those of us in a mothering role, and for those of us who are missing our own mothers, grandmothers, wives, partners, sisters, children, grandchildren and other ones dearly loved ~ I am thinking of you and holding you gently in my thoughts on this special day of remembrance ~ and I wish for all of us peace and healing to our broken hearts.

Thank you, Marty! As hard a day as it's been, I am very thankful for all of the people here.

Good morning. Thank you all for offering each other comfort during this tough weekend. I lost my mom, my mother and father in law, both of my grandmothers and of course My son Matthew in the last 5 years. Matthew was on my mind no matter what I did yesterday. We even went to see the new Avengers movie in 3d at the Imax theater. No matter how busy our senses were we thought of him. I officially can't handle mothers day. I thought that I would be able to and that I could talk myself into it. But I'm worn, worn before I wake up even.

We have 6 living children, all adults, and they did the right things to brighten our weekend with phone calls and flowers and chocolate treats sent our way. But we were alone, so very alone. I wondered why no others called from our friends and family, but then I looked at facebook, and I told myself not to, and saw how happily everyone was celebrating Moms. I cried happy tears for them all. But I admit I felt so very sorry for myself nonetheless.

The 4 month mark approaches on May 26th, as does Father's day. Now I know it will be unavoidable pain. Now I know and I hate it. I thought I was stronger honestly. I really did. I hate it when I'm wrong. When I lost my 2nd born Erin Monique almost 30 years ago, I was so young, niave, and life was a fast blur. Oh how I wish for that now sometimes. Her tiny life of 2 months were so innocent and sweet. Imagining her in heaven was simple and unquestioning. No violence, no bloodshed, just died in her sleep. Poor Matthew, only a few days shy of 15, didn't go so quietly. But the silence he left behind is beyond words.

I pray this morning for a good week ahead. For healing and forgiving and deep deep breaths. God walks this terrible path with me, but he has the knowledge that I don't. I have faith that all will be well. Although I fear more pain ahead, more losses ahead, and unending days of sorrow and tears, I know the Lord has a good plan in place. He blessed me with so many talents and people, and I pray that I appreciate them more often than not.

Cindy

Oh Cindy,

I am so sorry, I knew Mother's Day would be hard, you've just been through too much. I, for one, am glad it's over.

Here's an article that offers some very wise advice:

I think when anyone we love dies, we are forced to make a decision - either adapt ourselves to the traditions or to adapt the traditions to ourselves. It sucks. But there it is. Sometimes, we might decide we don't even want to celebrate certain events or days anymore. And that's okay. We might decide to change it or even walk away from a holiday entirely for a few years and revisit it later when we are more healed and ready. Maybe not every holiday is like this, but there will be some.

Read the entire article here: My Two Mother's Days

The tulips are beautiful, Butch, as are your words. Gentle hugs are all we can give sometimes and that is enough.

We all have that strength we need to carry on. Our pain will always be there. What we learn to do is live with the pain.

Cindy, my heart goes out to you as you continue your grief journey. This is a good place to share for there are many here who care.

I am so sorry for all your losses.

Marty, thank you for the Mother's Day greeting and the article, "My Two Mother's Days" ~ Holidays, Birthdays, Memorial Days, and other special days are always going to be a challenge for those of us who are grieving, but we all know we are capable of change ~ no matter how slow it comes.

Kay, you were very much in my thoughts this Mother's Day knowing that it was the first one since your Mom died. The love you showed for your Mom still remains fresh in my mind.

Anne

Thanks y'all. I like the advice in the 'my two mother's days' article. I will take that advice. I will change some of these holidays ahead of me this year. It's my prerogative. And I need to, for me, for now.

I like the idea of ignoring Mother's Day if it's too painful and moving it to their birthdays so it's about them, not everyone else.

My mom's birthday is April 30th, My my mother in laws birthday is May 10. So you can probably guess - mother's day usually falls right in between the 2. What's a daughter to do? I can't change calendars, but I will change tradition before may 2016 somehow.

That's my plan anyhow.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea for mother's and father's day next year. I think what I will do is buy some small gifts and design some cards for both of these holidays and send them to my siblings and sibling-in-law. Parents are parents because of their children, so I think I'll celebrate the children of people that I would otherwise be celebrating. Does that make sense?

Like:

In honor of your mother L____ I'm sending you this to celebrate and remember her time as "mother" on this Mother's day.

or:

In memory of your wonderful father G___ I'm sending you this, his child, to celebrate the time he spent as your father. Happy Father's Day.

I'll work on it.

Cindy

Cindy, What a sweet thing to do!