Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Finding Quiet

I am realizing that I do not give myself near enough quiet. As soon as I wake up, I turn on the television. When I get home, the television is on. I fall asleep to the television. Saturday mornings I will turn it off, turn on some music that makes me sad and let out emotions and write in my journal. Am I avoiding? I have never been a person who liked too much quiet. When my husband was alive and I woke early, I would keep the house quiet, but I was also normally in my studio working on a project. I haven't worked on a project since 2013, around the time my dog Annie passed and we adopted Pongo. The dogs take so much of my attention. Is quiet something I really need to be giving myself? I would like to know how quiet is a part of everyone's lives.

It's usually quiet at my house. I don't turn the t.v. on until evening. I do keep busy with activities, computer, reading, phone calls, walking the dog, volunteer work, but I definitely incorporate quiet into my life. I think it was harder when my grief was fresh, it's like it was hard to be alone with myself.

I find hard to be quiet and in company of my thoughts. Since a couple of months I'm avoiding memories. In the morning the radio is on. In the afternoon and in the evening the tv is on. At night I read newspapers online. I know I should face memories, but I try not to be so hard with myself. One day at a time

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I lived in a quieter location, rather than across from a train and on a busy street. I hunger for the kind of quiet one finds in the woods, with sounds of trees and birds. I do writing, which in a sense quiets my mind, but need to push myself to get to nature more. I don't drive, so it's not easy. My husband is busy and tired. My friends don't mostly want to hear about my sorrow/grief, so I am alone a lot. Was alone a lot before actually. I like to read. I try not to watch too much electronics / tv, but sometimes it is a respite.

Cleo

I wish you lived where I do, Cleo.  I'm in the country, in the mountains of Oregon, on forested property that abuts a creek.  Wildlife and birds are abundant here, I love nature and can never take it for granted, having been raised in a city.

Sometimes it's hard living alone and being responsible for this place.  It's been ten years since my husband died.  Right now we're in a bad drought, no measurable rain for months, no snow last winter and they say we're get a repeat this upcoming year.  We are in danger of having our wells go dry...if that happens, I don't know what I'll do, it could cost $20,000 to drill a new one.  In spite of these stresses though, I have my beloved nature and animals.  It's what keeps me going.

Interesting to read what is said by each individual above - it shows that there is not a "right" or a "wrong" here - different strokes, for different folks thus.

My Margaret and me, were at our happiest and felt most "alive": when we were on a long hike (anything between 100 and 300km) of 5 days or longer - in our beloved mountains or even in deserts - where our company was each other only, and then the forests, the birds, the crystal clear streams, rivers or waterfalls - just the two of us - out there, we could be "ourselves" - away from the madding crowd. Nothing was better or nicer, than to just be with one another - and taking a break at one of the many magical spots, brewing a coffee on our small hiker's stove and just "be" - telling one another how blessed we were - about these hikes, we were like children who's looking forward to see the ocean for the first time in their lives - looking forward to all of our hikes, like children - we always said, if we do something or plan to do it and we are not excited like children, then we ought to stop doing it - blessed to say that through all our 22 years of hiking, we were like children about it - and that is what the quietness and solitude gave us - total bliss and serenity!!

So - if you long for the same as what we had, out there - think about doing hikes - but looooong hikes - it will change your life - promise!!

Below I would like to share (if I may) just two of the countless spots we've came across on our hikes - when I look at them, I can still hear the hissing of the small stove and smelling the coffee - the feeling of peace is total - TOTAL! - and the feeling that "all is well in this world of ours" - far, very far, from the madding crowds. You will discover a different YOU - for real!

I'm thinking of you all - you're not alone!

PS: I am, God willing - leaving next Saturday (29/8), travelling +/- 1 000km, to do a 101km hike over 5 days - in our beautiful Overberg region - without My Margaret, it can never again be the same for me - BUT - I promised her - I'm doing it for both of us and she will be with me in spirit - edging and encouraging me on - especially on the difficult sections - c'mon you're doing well Andrè Wheeler (as she called me a lot), just keep going and enjoy!

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1120 wide.jpg

Edited by Andrè
Added a PS

That looks like heaven to me!  It doesn't even look real, it's so beautiful.  I'll be thinking of you next Saturday as you start your hike, that is incredible.  I wish you a restorative journey...for both of you.