Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My friend, Jim

kayc

I just spent the day at the hospital with my close friend, Jim.  He has congestive heart failure.  This all brings back memories of the weekend I lost George, and it's very hard.  I don't want to lose Jim.  They said the left side of his heart isn't pumping effectively, he has a lot of excess fluid in his body, including his lungs.  They have him on oxygen and are monitoring his oxygen and blood pressure.  His blood pressure is good at least.  His cholesterol isn't bad except his good cholesterol needs to come up.  They also said he has heart damage.  They're going to put him on statins and diuretics.  I'm very concerned for him.  They haven't fully decided what they're going to do yet.

Kay,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Jim. Congestive heart failure can be very frightening. I hope they are able to stabilize his symptoms by flushing the excess fluids out and run some tests to make sure there are no blockages. I put him on my prayer list. 

Anne

Thank you, Anne.  He really is one of my best friends, I just can't lose him.  We're able to talk with each other about anything, and he's so easy to be around, so mellow, so sweet and kind hearted, and incredibly funny.  

I appreciate your prayers.

I went and saw Jim again yesterday.  We had some good news, he has no blockages, but his heart is only pumping @20% the fluid, and his body is filled with fluid, lungs included, so they've limited his fluid intake, monitoring outgo, had him on oxygen but he was off it yesterday, they're putting him on statins and diuretics, they said they can give him medicine to make the heart pump better.  Last night he called me from home, he was discharged!  He needs to eat low salt and cut way back on drinking milk, water, sodas.

He says he will and he knows if he doesn't, he will land up back in the hospital or possibly die.  He wants to live.