Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Movies about grief

Froggie4635

I have already seen a few, but I was wondering if there is a way for everyone to give some suggestions about films they have seen about grief.  The first one that I watched, one that I already had before I became a widow was "Moonlight and Valentino" with Elizabeth Perkins, Whoopie Goldberg, Kathleen Turner and Gwenyth Paltrow.  It is not easy to find now, because I was looking to get a copy for a friend who lives away from me.  I also purchased "PS I Love You"  but I haven't watched it yet.  Not ready I guess.

Wow!  What an exhaustive list!

I have seen many on this list...one of which was the first movie that Mark and I saw together..."What Dreams May Come".   I remember seeing this list before, but couldn't remember.  Thanks, Anne for finding it for me.  

Dear Anne...

I remember when Mark and I watched "Up" for the first time, we both cried...and couldn't believe how emotional it was for a child's movie.  I have so many Pinterest pictures from this movie.  I KNOW what this kind of love feels like...like so many posters on this site.  

• Upvote 1

Shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger

Amazon.com reviews it best. I think it is an excellent movie.

This emotionally moving romantic drama was adapted by William Nicholson, from his own acclaimed play, based upon the real-life romance (during the 1950s) between the British writer C.S. Lewis and a divorced American poet named Joy Gresham… Best known for writing The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, Lewis (Anthony Hopkins) is living comfortably as a respected Oxford don, his academic lifestyle a kind of shell protecting him from the emotional risk of love. Joy Gresham (Debra Winger) arrives at Oxford as an avid admirer of Lewis's writing, and the safety of his collegiate routine is quickly disrupted when Lewis realizes that he's fallen deeply and unexpectedly in love. Their courtship is uniquely engaging; he's shy and uncertain, she's outspoken and bold. But when Joy is diagnosed with cancer, Lewis's Christian faith is put to the test--he cannot fathom why their happiness together would be so drastically challenged. Together, they find a way to accept and honor the time they have shared together, and under the sensitive direction of Richard Attenborough, Shadowlands arrives at a conclusion that is both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. Hopkins and Winger are equally superb in this absorbing story of personal and spiritual transformation--a story previously filmed for British television in 1985, with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom. --Jeff Shannon

• Upvote 1

Oh, thank you, Marty. That is the one I was looking for. :wub:

And I still feel that your e-course on the first year of grief mentioned in your link above has helped me so much. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

"Eye for an Eye" is a tear jerker movie starring Sally Field.  She gets revenge on the killer of her daughter which I am not condoning but her acting performance dealing with grief throughout the movie is so powerful it is unbelievable.  There is a scene where the smell of her daughter on her pillow that got washed in the washing machine in error and she went unhinge because the last remaining partial of her daughter was gone.  So powerful, I burst out crying.  

• Upvote 2