Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Voices from the beyond?

Clematis

I responded to a post under "2 hard days in a row" and was writing about how I hear my father talking to me, and it is not a repetition of things he said to me when he was alive-it really is new comments. I just wonder if this is something that others have experienced and what that is like for them. Any comments?

• Upvote 3

I think that some individuals are more perceptive and receptive to the unexplainable happenings in this world. I do not think I am one of them. As many times as I have spoken to my parents, husband ,& daughter, I have never received a response. There are many here who feel their lost loved ones around them. I do not except in infrequent dreams. My father's dream visits always ended with "You know I can't stay." They were sad, but comforting to know he was checking up on me.

My husband had an uncanny ability to know when something bad was going to happen to a member of our family. I watched this happen many times over 40 years. He described it as being enveloped in a "black" cloud. He hated it as usually he could not tell which one of us or what would happen and was hopeless to prevent it. He was right 100% of the time and something bad would happen within a couple of weeks. The only time he knew who and what was the day in 2006 when we were driving away from my daughter's home in Kentucky. She was standing on the porch and he looked at me and said "Debbie has cancer". I sort of laughed and said "No, she doesn't". She had always been healthy and was happy. His timing was off, but she was diagnosed with cancer 2 years later.

I think if anyone could communicate with me, it would be him.

I am happy for you if this gives you comfort.

• Upvote 4

Thank you so much for responding to this. I'm not sure what to make of it and it is clear that it is not in my control at all. My mother talked to me through rabbits, and I would have to figure out what is was that the rabbits were saying; the only clear thing was that it was her. (she was throughout her life obsessed with rabbits). I finally just flat out started talking to these rabbits when they came running up to me on a trail or something and sat there staring at me...very bizarre rabbit behavior. "What are you trying to tell me?" I eventually got the idea that she was telling me to take care of my dad. This went on for a few years and I think she finally accepted that I was taking good care of him and she let go. Then there were no more weird rabbit incidents until a few months before he died and I had the thought that she wanted him back. I was worried and angry-I wasn't ready to let go of him...  About a month after my dad died I heard my mother actually speak to me, and she said she was sorry, and, "I really did love you"...

From my dad, I have had him speak to me out of the blue burt not when I was trying to get hold of him. More like he says whatever he wants to whenever he feels like it. The only exception was in the tire store when I was trying to figure out what kind or tires I should put on his old car that had been my mother's before. Should I pick out the mediocre ones he put on for himself or the good Michelin tires he'd put on it when it was my mother's car? After asking him (out loud) in the tire store several times, he told me to get the good ones. The tire guy said he heard him too. But when I was picking out tires for my own car, he was nowhere to be found. I asked the tire guy and he said the ones I had been buying were fine and better ones on that car wouldn't really do anything for me. Ok...

• Upvote 3

Hi Laura~

I've been reading a book Bridges to Heaven written by Sue Frederick who is an intuitive that lives here in Boulder. With the experiences you've described above, I believe you would enjoy her book and could learn more about communicating with your parents since they've passed.  My dad visits me and it's not that I hear his words per se, but I feel his presence and so I speak with him until I can't feel him there anymore.  This might sound crazy to some people, but it has also happened with a dear friend who passed way too young. He used to visit me as well, but I haven't felt his presence in quite some time.  Apparently meditation helps us in becoming more open to receiving messages from those who have crossed over.  I find peace in knowing our loved ones may be physically gone, but are still watching over us and the same will happen for me when it's my turn.  Fascinating, in my opinion. :)

• Upvote 4

I was always a skeptic but have become more of a believer as time has gone by.  I always believed in afterlife, just not the ability to communicate meanwhile.  I don't get audible voices or anything, but do feel I carry my husband inside of me, in a way that's hard to explain.  Recently I was having a really bad day and I physically felt his hand on my back/shoulder area...it was a time I really needed it and it was very comforting & encouraging, as if he was trying to reassure me.  

I think these things are meant to help and encourage us and should be received as such.

• Upvote 4

I had what I call "my mystical, magical feelings" before and have heard voices climbing up an old Signal Peak in New Mexico.  I read later that it had happened to other people.  I used to get feelings that I should not be in a place and got scared, although I had never been in that place before.  My son used to call me psychic, but I think it is more psycho.  I have had a sense of something when I saw "something" and cannot explain that.  But, all these mystical experiences died when Billy did.  I keep wanting them back, but they are just gone.  Life is just not magical anymore at all.  

• Upvote 1

Marg, is it possible that you might have closed yourself off to experiencing these things? Or maybe are too preoccupied to notice? I don't think that is an ability/sensitivity that people lose, but you might be less in touch with it for some time for some reason. What do you think?

• Upvote 1

I worked on the mental health staff at a prison for five years some time ago, and they counted on the mental health staff figuring out in rather short order if new or returning inmates had significant issues the prison would want to be aware of. That would include, coming off drugs, suicidality, volatility, mental retardation, and significant mental illnesses, especially psychosis. We had to learn to be sneaky about this because you can't just ask someone if they are psychotic (or whatever else). We would ask them if they had ever heard voices that others could not, seen things that others could not, etc. A lot of people would get nervous and obviously be thinking yes, but not wanting to say anything. So we would encourage them to just describe whatever it was. And TONS of people would talk about people who had died who had contacted them in some way-appeared in some kind of vision, appeared in a dream that was a lot more intense and detailed than an average dream, spoken to them, and so on. A particular lot of hispanic people would describe these occurrences. Many people had had this only happen once and it frequently scared them. They would immediately go on to ask us if they were crazy. The answer-no, you're not crazy. Not everyone has that, but it's totally normal and healthy. If I had the time, I would ask them more about it, but generally I had to move on to other things. Nevertheless, it's a topic that has long intrigued me.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences that feels like sharing...

• Upvote 2

Marg and Laura - this exact topic is addressed in the book I mention above.  It has to do with grieving, which is so individual for each of us, but she has a process for opening oneself again following the loss of a loved one. Meditating is suggested and the hard part for me as I have 3 large dogs that follow me everywhere, and I have to figure out where I can hide for 10-20 minutes each morning where they can't follow or bark at me! :) 

• Upvote 1

If you read my post before, (I don't go back and read any of my posts, or anything from even a month ago, don't like to relive my feelings then.)  Anyhow, going up that mountain that was called Signal Peak (and every mountainous state probably has a bunch of these), but I heard distinct women's voices.  Billy and I were the only car at the bottom of the mountain, saw no other people, but I heard more than one woman talking to each other.  I told Billy and he agreed that he heard them too.  We got to the top, no other path going up or down, and there was no one.  I read stories later about other people hearing voices on the trail.  But, when I told someone about this phenomenon, old supernatural disbelieving Billy said he had not heard them.  That was just like him.  He would believe in nothing supernatural.  Our first date in 1961 was to see the movie (cartoon) The Snow Queen.  We were double dating and they wanted to leave.  Not me, I still prefer animated movies.  Most memorial anyhow.  

And Laura, yes, I am closing myself off from a lot of things.  Takes superhuman strength sometimes to numb-down (disassociate) but sometimes I can do it.  

My daughter was a nurse in a prison and worked with mental patients for a few years.  

ChinUp, I think you are absolutely right in that this is often a part of the grief experience. But I think there is much that goes on that we can't really explain. I once worked closely with a woman who took a short break to visit family in CA after a problematic visit to the dentist. Then one night she came to me in a dream. I was so happy to see her and jumped up to give her a hug. She stepped back and put up her hand, telling me to not be so excited because it hadn't gone as well as she had hoped. I called her husband the next day to discover that she had just died of leukemia. She had no idea of this when she left AZ. I think she wanted me to know what had happened to her because I would have never known, had she not contacted me. I have no way of explaining this, but I have heard similar stories from others that there is no explanation we know of. I think it's an enigma...

• Upvote 1

I used to be in charge of a prison ministry through a church.  I wrote and visited a lot of inmates and got to know the prison system well (minimum, medium, and maximum security).  I think a lot of the inmates shouldn't be there, they need help and aren't getting it in the prison system.  Years ago they used to work on rehabilitation but now, not so much, at least not in Oregon.  The boot camp they do, but very few make the grade to get there, and it's only the ones they feel have a really good chance of making it...and of those, less than half graduate from it.

48 years ago my parents, little sister & I were in our car driving on the freeway.  My mom turned around and said, "Did you say something?" and I said, "No." and she said, "I thought I heard Peggy (my older sister) cry out, "Mommy!"  A few minutes later we happened upon it...Peggy & Donna and Donna's three year old and her four month old baby had been in an accident on the freeway.  As we got closer, we saw the VW wagon smashed and the baby's bed dying in the freeway.  My mom went running out of the car, screaming, and the police told her they had been taken to the hospital and one of them was dead.  We later found out it was the three year old, Jimmy.  At the time my mom turned around to me and asked if I'd said something and then went on to say she'd heard Peggy call out to her, I just thought she was nuts...most teenagers think their moms have half lost it anyway.  But afterwards, we realized she'd had ESP and it wasn't that uncommon.  I still believe that at the moment of the accident, Peggy did cry out to her, and even though we were a half hour behind them, my mom heard her.

You can't explain it, but neither can you discount it.  This was an accident that changed our lives forever.  Everything in our family at that point existed "before" or "after" the accident.  My sister Donna sustained a lot of brain damage and became quadriplegic with multiple injuries.  Peggy also sustained brain damage and doesn't have equilibrium, she falls easily.  Jimmy died of a ruptured spleen and the baby, Mick, was without injury, even though surrounded by glass and being thrown from the vehicle (before carseat days).  I don't know why Jimmy didn't get to live, no one gives us such explanations, but Mick was protected and had quite a life to live...a life that could become a book or movie.

• Upvote 4

That is an amazing story...what a horrible accident. I can see why everything would have been "before" and "after" an accident like that. I think you're right; there is definitely a lot going on that we can't explain. I have been thinking about it a lot lately since my dad has been gone and I miss him so much and want to communicate with him...

I live in Sedona, and there is a lot of "woo-woo" stuff going on here. Lots of phony psychics making money off of tourists, probably some bonafide psychics, and a lot of crazy stories about people being abducted by aliens and going aboard spaceships and other goofy stuff. But I have heard quite a number of people talking about people who have "passed" being on the other side of a veil that is actually rather thin. I really do wonder about this. 

I really do hear my dad talking to me and sometimes I just feel him around me. I think Lena is more sensitive to it than I am. Lena sometimes races from one end of my dad's condo to the other-in a beeline, just races back and forth. She never has done that at my own condo. But since he has been gone, sometimes she starts this crazy zigzagging around, up and down off the furniture, which I have never seen her do, I got the idea that he was teasing her or playing with her in some odd way, which he did do when he was alive. He thought it was funny and I'd make him stop. So she starts this crazy zigzag thing, and I say to him-out loud-"Daddy, what are you doing to the cat?" And it stops immediately; she just stops running and saunters across the room. I have no idea what this means...

• Upvote 1

Weather it's Sedona or the Harmonic Convergence folks like to grab on to stuff like that. But there is a lot to areas being portals to the after life. I know first hand. I have no doubts Laura that the cat episode was connected to your dad. Animals have the ability to sense things far too subtle sometimes for us to detect.

• Upvote 4

I think you're right. To me the oddest thing about that is this. When he was alive I would see what he was doing and tell him to stop and he would. He just liked to tease the animals. Lena and I were at my sister's house once-she has a Shitzu that is on the anxious side and takes Prozac. Daddy was in the other room with Bug and my sister and I were in the kitchen when he yelped and said Bug bit him. We said, in unison, "What were you doing to him?" I doubt it was much, but Bug didn't like it. So anyway, I tell him to leave the cat alone, he's "dead" and I sure can't see him, and he stops...I really don't get it, but it's happened at least half a dozen times...

I haven't heard voices, but I do believe in the paranormal.  Some of my family members who wouldn't lie about such things have experienced voices or apparitions.    But, there can be instances where the brain can somehow conjure up a voice or have you seeing things due to a tragedy or trauma.   So, I believe in both the paranormal part & the psychological part of post traumatic incidents...the mystery is which is which.   For instance,  I was in my late sister's room, which I moved into after she died, & I was talking on the phone to a friend who just finished saying a prayer on the phone.   Right after she finished, the whole room smelled like...what a whole room of flowers would smell like.   There were no flowers anywhere near the room I was in nor was I thinking about flowers.     It lasted about a minute, then the scent left.     Last time I smelled anything that strong was at my sister's wake.    But I doubt it was a past scent visiting my senses again, so I decided it was my sister or someone from not of this world comforting me after the prayer was said.

• Upvote 2

I've heard my mom's voice many times but not actually a conversation. 

It's like I hear her calling me, saying something ( mostly the words are not clear but from the voice and the way the words are spoken I know that was my mom).

I've had visitation from  her in the form of dreams and I know that was her as those moments were so real. 

I do believe she's looking after me and is with me. 

• Upvote 4

Strange thing is, after 28 years after my sister's death, I hardly dream about her...other members of my family do.   I say to myself, "She must be busy in others dreams." :)

• Upvote 1

I get dreams about her every night, just not for a few days in the beginning but those 'no dreams about her' nights paid off by a visitation from her. 

Your sensing the smell of flowers was a wonderful experience. I've never had any smell related visitation or maybe I don't focus much or it might be because most of her things are surrounding me so her smell is never gone. I wear her clothes sometimes when I miss her.

• Upvote 1

I have spoken to a few people who have had occurrences of smell including my own sister. After my dad died my sister and I had to close his house up and put it up for sale. Months later after the house was empty, my sister suddenly smelled his cologne in the dining room and after a short while, it went away. Those kind of smells are quite hard to explain away.

I never have had a smell occurrence and I so wish I could. Sadly the fragrance on her clothes dissipated completely during that first year. Her perfumes still adorn the top of her dresser and they are quite pretty so I leave them but when I smell them, it's not at all the same. Her body effected the smell to be uniquely hers and now I can't remember it exactly. I just know I loved it because my nose was so often nuzzled in the back of her neck. I know it used to annoy her when I did that as she was finishing her make up before we would go out but I couldn't help myself.

One thing is for certain. Sings from the afterlife are real and they happen in many different way.  Kathy is a master of low voltage and sometimes it almost seems as if we were having a conversation but it's a language I have yet to understand.

• Upvote 1

I believed in signs too. I would love to have a smell related or a sense related sign from mom.

I agree, sings happen in many different ways and I feel like I've missed to recognize many of them because I was not paying much attention but I'm glad that I experienced them in at least one way- through dream visitations.

• Upvote 1

Back in 1982, it was okay to advertise God in public.  The buses in Houston that ran around to the different hospital complexes would have Bible verses, etc.  When I was going for my final results of the staging of my cancer, a bus ran right in front of us.. It said "I will give you health" and a picture of Jesus on the whole side of the bus.  Billy saw it too.  But, when I mentioned it again later, in front of people, he would not admit to seeing it.  But, to me, it was a sign.  Back then the doves feeding on highway 59 on the way down to Houston every week end, they were a sign to me too.  Billy passed, and my mind is blocked.  Finding the wedding ring nugget, I cannot explain..  I had looked in that jewelry box more times than I can count.  But, still I picked it back up and there it was.  I had been looking for the black cord it had been on, but still, why couldn't I see it?  I could not move on, I could not clean out his clothes, I could not even make plans at all until I found it.  He has come to me in a dream-like almost asleep state of mind, but so did my granddaughter, and she was just in another state..  When he told me "it's enough" I knew I had to leave the house full of relatives.  But the magic I used to feel, the imagination, all of it is blocked.  I think that goes along with my blockage of my faith.  

Wishful thinking or mindless dreaming whatever it is but it gives me hope,  a hope to meet her again, a hope that there is a world after death :).

My world collapsed when my mom died. I have no passion for living. I've got a long life ahead and it has no meaning but I'm still surviving and in this life full of sadness the only thing that gives shivering happiness is believing in her presence around me

I am a science student but yet I do believe in it and don't need any proof for it being her or not, the thing I've experienced was different, different than anything else in this world.

And even if it is a wishful thinking it's not hurting anyone.. I'd like to have such wishful thinkings?.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Athos said:

Don't you think that some of these experiences are wishful thinking?

You want to be in contact so much, that you believe the afterlife stories are true?

There have to be some if not many signs that were wishful thinking by people who were wanting contact so badly that random things were misinterpreted.  On the other hand, many signs were so defined that they could only be real. I get little signs often that I only wonder if it's her.  I can't be certain yet I enjoy the concept of "what if?"  Then there are times when it is so bloody obvious that she is doing it, and has happened when other people are in my home witnessing it.  On two different occasions I have asked her a question and a light in the room I was in turned on. I know she heard me, I just don't understand the answer.  One time for certain I knew she was telling me something. That was the night I woke at 2:30 am to a horn honking in my garage. I opened the door and her car's alarm was going off, lights flashing  with the doors locked and the keys inside. She was a stickler for taking care of that car always having the oil changed and such.  I had neglected doing so badly. Needles to say the oil got changed.  My wife's mom died two years after her and the night she passed, several different electrical events happened .I received a call the next morning informing me of her death the night before.  A year after that, her dad passed and the night he left, several different electrical events happened again. I made my flight reservations that evening without hearing about it. I was that certain.  I am a born sceptic Athos but after all that  and so many more events,  I am now a firm believer.

By the way, there are times when nothing happens sometimes as long as five months but she always let's me know when she's here. Many of us see the signs and believe with faith. Without faith, even the obvious may get passed by.

• Upvote 2