Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Loneliness, Emptiness, Meaninglessness

You know, I realized that Marty is between a rock and a hard place----you can't please everybody and no matter the situation, there will always be someone who finds something to take offense with. Some people go through life being "professionally offended". Haha! So, I just laughed it off and let the matter drop. But, I do love the addition of this new arrow with the hearts! I've just been having the best time reading and clicking away on those little arrows. And to think, I never really gave it a second thought before. Now, I really notice the arrow button! :D 

George, you hit the nail on the head with why I was worried about attempting the repair myself. I don't want to be electrocuted by a stupid ceiling fan! 

Marg (WW), you sly fox, you know you are one of the MOST popular people here! ;) You can never post too much. When you aren't posting, I miss your funny life observations and your news on what's happening in your world. You also finished another book? You and Billy are on a roll!! 

• Upvote 6

45 minutes ago, TerriL said:

You know, I realized that Marty is between a rock and a hard place----you can't please everybody and no matter the situation, there will always be someone who finds something to take offense with. Some people go through life being "professionally offended"...

a rock and a hard place...

a rock and a hard place.jpg

• Upvote 6

OMGosh Enna, you have identified my position in life at this moment.  And, I have less sense than the sheep. 

WW, sometimes I wish I were SW.  Sometimes I think we all need super powers.

And Marty, I just love pushing buttons, any kind will do.   

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Marg M said:

And Marty, I just love pushing buttons, any kind will do.   

Marg, you're a hoot! :D

• Upvote 3

Home repair kits are very important.  I agree with the duct tape and WD 40 but I must add baleing twine and Gorilla Glue.  

Critters are a great inspiration for lots and lots of things.

I am a country girl who sews and sells unique items.  These hens are wearing my chicken aprons that have recycled bra parts on them.  I also make them for turkeys :) 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

These hens are wearing my chicken aprons that have recycled bra parts on them.  

These chickens look so adorable in the aprons! They just let you put the aprons on them? They don't put up a fight? I wish I had chickens! 

And I also have Gorilla Glue! I'm halfway to a genuine home repair kit. :) 

• Upvote 2

Enna, you are right on about that rock and a hard place! I've felt like that since Paul passed away. One constant "OMG, how did this happen and what do I do NOW?" 

Marg, I do apologize for inadvertently calling you by MY name, (WW)! I meant SW, of course, and in my natural state of confusion, hit the W instead of the S. Maybe we share the traits of BOTH. We're trying to have "Super" powers and yet, we "Wonder" how we've managed to get this far! :) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

Home repair kits are very important.  I agree with the duct tape and WD 40 but I must add baleing twine and Gorilla Glue.  

Critters are a great inspiration for lots and lots of things.

I am a country girl who sews and sells unique items.  These hens are wearing my chicken aprons that have recycled bra parts on them.  I also make them for turkeys :) 

image.jpeg

Why are these chickens wearing aprons? Do they have to wash dishes or clean house?  :lol:

• Upvote 4

My daughter would love the chicken aprons.  And I agree with Gorilla Glue.  Billy put the mailbox up at the end of the road next to the other ones and 10 years later it has not even wiggled.  Still staying strong. 

• Upvote 2

I love your sense of humour George!!

Chickens wear aprons for a few different reasons, sadly, dishes and housework are not included.  The girls in this photo are wearing them for the most common reason.  Since they tend to be canabals they wear the aprons to cover damaged areas on their backs or wings (I make optional wing covers too).  When chickens see red they are very attracted to it and this makes it difficult to treat wounds.  The aprons protect the chicken from the sun and from being pecked to death as well as allowing the injury to be treated and to heal.

The other reason for the aprons is actually more of a saddle.  Sometimes roosters have favourite hens and all the attention they give the hen can damage the feathers and skin on the hen's back.  This way the rooster is not actually latching on to the girls but rather they grip onto the saddle.  In some cases the rooster may have long spurs that can actually pierce through the feathers and skin into the hen's internal organs and kill them.

Turkeys have been bred to have the huge breast and because of this the toms are unable to fertilize the eggs without some assistance.  Most high yield turkey production is through artificial inseminaton.  Back yard producers use a saddle to give the toms the ability to get a grip with their feet, wings and beak.  I've probably given you too much information and you will never see turkey's in the same way again, sorry.

I repainr tents, tarps, horse blankets and all kinds of sports or industrial items.  I really enjoy learning about animals and their peculiarities.  My business is small but growing and I hope to be making my first million dollars soon, lol.

So, if anyone out there has some special needs items repaired or constructed.....

Marita

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

My business is small but growing and I hope to be making my first million dollars soon, lol.

Well, I did not know that about chickens and turkeys.  The only thing I ever won was 100 baby chicks and 100 pounds of feed at the opening of a new farm store in our small town.  I must have been about 12.  I was the most popular person there.  People were coming to me wanting to buy my chickens.  It so happened my mom and dad had a fenced in place behind the house.  Very nice, and at one time she had chickens.  We had a hen house already built.  So, Mama got the chickens.  I would imagine we ate them.  My daughter had chickens for pets.  She had one old red hen that was her pet and would never have eaten any of them.  We had goats for awhile also, milk goats.  Harriet, Josephine and Henrietta.  I would not drink goat's milk but my mom tricked me one time.  It was good, but I didn't like being tricked so I gave up milk. 

I hope you are on your way to your first million bucks. 

• Upvote 3

I believe we've all stumbled onto something big here. None of us have been able to picture our futures without our loves and now, I see before us, the start of our very own petting farm. We'll name it "Marty's Petting Farm" in honor of the woman who brought us together! :D 

Seriously, Marita, that is fascinating about the chickens and turkeys. I had no clue about any of it and I can see now, unlike the people who dress up their dogs, chicken aprons are actually a necessity. (That isn't a snide commentary aimed at dog-dressing people, it's just that dresses on dogs are NOT a life-saving situation.  Somewhere right now, there's a dog saying, "Please! Save my life and get the dress OFF me!" lol) I wish you all the success in the world with your business! You do beautiful work; you're so creative! 

Marg (SW), I would have been exactly like you regarding the goat's milk. Something may end up being tasty, but I do NOT like being tricked or pranked and I am stubborn and willful enough to never eat it again if I was tricked into it. Haha! We DO have Super Powers! 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

I love your sense of humour George!!

Chickens wear aprons for a few different reasons, sadly, dishes and housework are not included.  The girls in this photo are wearing them for the most common reason.  Since they tend to be canabals they wear the aprons to cover damaged areas on their backs or wings (I make optional wing covers too).  When chickens see red they are very attracted to it and this makes it difficult to treat wounds.  The aprons protect the chicken from the sun and from being pecked to death as well as allowing the injury to be treated and to heal.

The other reason for the aprons is actually more of a saddle.  Sometimes roosters have favourite hens and all the attention they give the hen can damage the feathers and skin on the hen's back.  This way the rooster is not actually latching on to the girls but rather they grip onto the saddle.  In some cases the rooster may have long spurs that can actually pierce through the feathers and skin into the hen's internal organs and kill them.

Turkeys have been bred to have the huge breast and because of this the toms are unable to fertilize the eggs without some assistance.  Most high yield turkey production is through artificial inseminaton.  Back yard producers use a saddle to give the toms the ability to get a grip with their feet, wings and beak.  I've probably given you too much information and you will never see turkey's in the same way again, sorry.

I repainr tents, tarps, horse blankets and all kinds of sports or industrial items.  I really enjoy learning about animals and their peculiarities.  My business is small but growing and I hope to be making my first million dollars soon, lol.

So, if anyone out there has some special needs items repaired or constructed.....

Marita

I am curious George. I was not raised on a farm and did not know the purpose of the aprons but it makes sense now.  I though it was a new fashion trend for chicks (get it! ... ha ha ha) We were all city dweller.

I remember when I was six years old that the chicks would follow my mom everywhere in the yard. We raised them for fresh eggs and chicken.

Later, my brother wanted a pet rabbit so my dad built a hutch and we had rabbits.  I still remember the sounds they make when they were slaughtered.  They sounded like  a crying baby.  We did eat them later.  I was told they taste like chicken.  I still prefer chicken.  Most people don't think/ comprehend that the meat must die for us to eat them.  I am not a vegetarian.  But I understand why my Dad says you don't make them pets. 

My brother found a "watermelon" in a pond and thought it grew in the water. (Company was keeping it cool). Unfortunately my brother dropped the watermelon and split it open so we all had watermelon soon than planned.  The adults had a great chuckle about us city folks.  Shalom

• Upvote 2

Hello Curious George!

Your response is much appreciated and enjoyed.  

The 'fashion trends for chicks' part is in the repurposing of the fancy brassiere parts.  All chicks like pretty things lol.

The watermelon story is a great one for a children's book.  I can imagine the illustrations :) A few more of these remberances and you could be writing a best seller!

Marita

• Upvote 2

Billy tried to grow watermelons in this rocky soil.  They grew to the size of the smallest watermelons.  Could get no bigger.  He tried twice and gave up.  Then we moved to Mena for about four years.  Threw a watermelon out behind the house.  Later on it had the most beautiful large watermelons.  So happened, it was over the septic tank.  I think Erma Bombeck wrote a book called "The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank."  True..

George,

Your comment about the rabbits made me remember why I don't like chickens(unless they are cooked). When I was little, we lived in west Texas near all my aunts and uncles. One couple had a huge farm, including chickens. My aunt would ring their necks and when they were headless, the bodies would waddle around in the yard for a bit, HEADLESS. This scared my 6 year old self to death. Then she would hang them upside down on the clothesline. Not pleasant.

Unfortunately, I have learned that there are things a whole lot scarier than headless chickens.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, KarenK said:

Unfortunately, I have learned that there are things a whole lot scarier than headless chickens

Mama did the same.  I was so upset that she would start throwing a washtub over them while they died.  I think they were already dead.  But, when that plate of fried chicken was on the table I guess I forgot about the flopping. 

I do not see my daughters very often.  At least I do not think I see them enough.  Maybe every 2-4 weeks.  At the moment, they are having problems with each other.  One came over this morning for a few hours and the other came this evening for a while.  That is it for another several weeks.  They do not realize that their time is finite here.  It sure does not pay to not embrace your loved ones.  Too soon, it will be over.  After the second one left, I started crying again.  Alone stinks, as you all know.

Gin

• Upvote 6

Gin,

I am so sorry. Yes, "alone really stinks". It is hard when our children get older and no longer wish to stick to us like glue. I was devastated when my daughter decided to go live with her dad at age 15 because he offered a better life, plus she had met a new boy. Living 1800 miles away, I was not able to see her many times in the next 35 years. I will always feel guilty for that. We talked on the phone all those years a couple of times a week. Maybe I was there for some of the important things like the births of her 2 children and her last marriage. They had a Western wedding, horses and all, but even those times were not enough. As we all know, there is never enough time. And so on that final visit, I left her there as ashes in the ground. I can only apologize to her in my mind. I love my son dearly and even though I see him once or twice a week, I don't think he comprehends what I am feeling. It's just an ultimate sadness.

• Upvote 1

Karen,

you have so much to deal with!  I have been on iron for over a month and my hemaglobin has started to go up.  Hoping I will fee good within another month and then maybe try to get this house cleaned out-50 years of accumulation.  Then who knows.  I wish my kids were closer to each other.

Gin

• Upvote 1

My granddaughter stays with me.  She will be 17 next week.  I am always afraid my daughter will get angry.  But, maybe it is the dermoid tumors on her  brain that makes her go off on her anger trips.  When she does she says too much, bad stuff, and that just pushes her daughter away.  I do not know how to keep peace, but I will not talk against my daughter.  My daughter-in-law turned our grandchildren against us for years and the chasm could not be healed.  The granddaughter talks to her dad now and sees the harm that was caused and it has caused a big divide between mother and daughter.  We were very close to our grandchildren and she would not even let us talk to them.  I always thought they would remember us as much as we loved them, but their growing up was hard with an Air Force Sargent stepfather and we did not know, had no way of knowing, they were nearly 2000 miles away.  When the boy got in trouble at 16 they sent him to us, but it was too late.  I am not keeping my granddaughter away from her mom.  I appreciate her being around and she lived with us all those years.  It scares me though with my daughter sick, the anger outbursts may have been the lesions on her brain.  She would be so sorry after them, they were violent against us but she has never touched my granddaughter.  So many things to worry about. 

• Upvote 1