Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mediums: Worth trying?

Finch

Do any of you have experiences with Mediums? Good or bad. I imagine this has been discussed before on the forums. I also guess if it was that easy and fullproof, many would use them.

I don't really believe in it personally... I think. It's more out of desperation that I want to use one. Just for that slim chance of connecting. I am worried though it might make things worse.

10 minutes ago, Finch said:

Do any of you have experiences with Mediums? Good or bad. I imagine this has been discussed before on the forums. I also guess if it was that easy and fullproof, many would use them.

I don't really believe in it personally... I think. It's more out of desperation that I want to use one. Just for that slim chance of connecting. I am worried though it might make things worse.

Finch, I have never experienced one myself so I can't really say for sure.  I would be skeptical too.  However, only you can do what you think is best for you and your grief.  Keep us post and prayers coming your way!!!  

1 hour ago, Cheryl J said:

Finch, I have never experienced one myself so I can't really say for sure.  I would be skeptical too.  However, only you can do what you think is best for you and your grief.  Keep us post and prayers coming your way!!!  

Thanks Cheryl. I will let you know if anything comes of it.

6 minutes ago, MartyT said:

If you place the word "mediums" in the search box at the top of this page, you'll find several posts on this topic. See, for example, 

Thanks Marty, I will check them out.

Froggie4635 (Maryann) saw that psychic that was on t.v. and it was very helpful to her.

On 6/8/2015 at 5:31 PM, Froggie4635 said:

How Long In The Fog?

On 6/8/2015 at 5:31 PM, Froggie4635 said:

Feeling tired from my trip. Recovered and rested on Sunday. The fur babies had an active weekend;they crashed right along with me. I don't know where to start, or how to describe properly what I experienced. I did receive messages from Mark that brought me comfort. I don't want to write anything that would sound like I am trying to convince anyone of anything. But I was told things that no one could have known, and had things validated for me. I took one of Mark's Hawaiian shirts (his absolute favorite one) to put under my pillow, and I was told about the blue hawaiian shirt. It is hard to get the excitement I felt across in a posting. There were so many signs that this trip was no coincidence. There was nothing accidental, right down to the 20 foot tall rooster outside my hotel window...a private joke between Mark and I for a long time. I still feel my bottom lip tremble with emotion when I think of the experience I had. It showed me that our loved ones are truly with us, and watch over us each day.

I think one of the best sources of information on mediums is Bob Olson, a former skeptic and private investigator who began investigating the afterlife (and therefore psychic mediums) after the passing of his father in 1997. See his "genuine and legitimate" psychics and mediums list here: Best Psychic Mediums

• Upvote 1

You will likely recieve many shades of approval or disapproval to this questions depending on how the commentor feels about the existence of the afterlife and psychic abilities.  I have a had a couple of psychic experiences myself, though discussing them is very personal.  Despite having my own psychic experiences, I generally don't believe in mediums.  There are a lot of ways that these people can subtly mine your body language for information to use against you to gain money.  There have been studies done showing how "mediums" are able to decieve people into going along with information they appear to be presenting, which is really gleaned from the persons own body language and reactions to the "mediums" probe questions.  I won't go so far as to say that psychic experiences don't occur, but I don't believe in mediums and wouldn't go to one unless they were willing to participate for free.

Thanks everyone.

I have an open mind based on a foundation of pretty strong skepticism and caution. I was alot more skeptical before Crystal died and I wonder how much of what I am seeking is out of desperation and not being able to get the answers I want from elsewhere. I don't know if it's right. Can't hurt to explore it I guess.... or maybe it can.

I think any reading I have would not be in person. Especially if it is with an American medium as I am in the UK! And I'm not sure how it works but I don't intend to reveal much about the nature of my relationship beforehand so they'd have to be pretty damn good to surreptitiously mine notable details (unless they read this forum!). 

Sigh.

Update: I have looked into several mediums, many through the link Marty posted. I've even emailed a few, both US and UK based.

Most of the best reviewed ones have incredible waiting lists. A UK based one who won 'Medium of the year' in 2013 I contacted has waiting lists until next April. She has suspended her Skype and phone readings for some reason.

They are all extremely expensive and have very stringent conditions like pay x amount to ask x questions. I guess a business is a business and a job is a job, supply and demand etc, but something about that doesn't sit right with me given the nature of what I want to do.

One of the ones I contacted does Skype readings and at a suspiciously low price. She offered to do one but I told her that I was maybe not in the best place mentally to do it yet, and that I am also somewhat of a skeptic. She replied saying to do it when I feel ready, and also that there is no guarantee that I will be able to connect with the person I want to connect with.

So, I am still investigating and still undecided whether I will actually do it. I am partly resorting to this due to not being able to connect as I want with Crystal's family and friends, and generally being at my lowest ebb for some time.

I am currently backing up over 12 years worth of emails between me and Crystal. It's weird that a very large part of our relationship is recorded there. It hurts too much to read through them at the moment. I'm not sure I will ever be able to read through the majority of them. But I can't bare the thought of losing them.

I keep thinking about something she told me a few weeks before she died. She told me that I was her light in the darkness.

I selfishly wish she was here to be my light in the darkness.

I really implore you all not to spend money on psychics.  The chance that what you hear is legitimate is slim and may lead to have negative feelings down the road if you end up wasting money on a bad experience.  I'd work on ADC's, like dream meetings and focusing on feeling the person's energy around you.  I've heard that journaling before bed about what you'd like to dream about can improve your chances of having that content occurr.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still weighing this up. I am really close to doing this. I know what you are saying seachelle. Paying for something that could be a scam. Sigh. Going down the rabbit hole somewhat in my research. I found a show called Hollywood Medium. Trying to work out if that's a scam or not. Alot of the stuff he says seems like cold reading, but then there are some really specific things that make you wonder...  

For better or worse, i am going ahead with this.

I have found a Medium from that site Marty recommended. She is based in the UK and does email readings.

http://www.lizziehoulbrooke.com/

Apparently all I need to do is send her a photo, tell her the name of the person I lost and a number of questions. 

Seems too straight forward and I am massively sceptical. It's pretty affordable compared to some other Mediums I've looked into so if it is a scam, I won't be too ripped off financially.

I have exchanged a number of emails with her asking about the process in more detail.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I hope I don't regret this. 

Sorry Crystal. I have to try!

• Upvote 1

Good for you Finch! I hope your reading exceeds your expectations. I am a believer and have been truly amazed by the gifts intuitives have. I look forward to hearing about your reading when you're ready to share. I gifted a reading to someone and the intuitive asked for the person's first name, initial of last name and phone number as the session happened over the phone. It was a positive experience. Good luck!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:06 AM, Finch said:

I don't know about the mediums, but I am absolutely going through a craziness I never thought possible. A man I was in a past relationship with that I had not had contact with for 13+ years- I moved quite a distance away and am in another relationship. Here is the thing- I had a profound dream about him and the dream prompted me to look him up, so I did. By the time this had happened, he was terminally ill. I decided to keep myself at a distance- I didn't want to cause any trouble or pain for him or the family. He passed on my current partner's birthday. I have had dreams since and rather than him being in the dreams, for the most part, I can feel his presence as I come out of dreams about something else. I know.... it sounds crazy. We had a very tempestuous relationship almost 20 years ago and I just couldn't take the angry comments from him plus other issues, and I left one morning. We started seeing each other about four years later after we made contact due to me being in a crisis situation and again I was the one who distanced myself, even though he seemed quite a bit better. I knew that he had my back, and I felt bad, but had I stayed, I don't think he would have gotten better to the degree that he had in later times.

The stuff that comes into my mind that I never realized about him has been very hard for me- I was very unconscious in a lot of ways. Some of it I am sure is my own realization, but some of it I know is not. It has to be coming from him.

The dream that started this back up took me by surprise, even though it shouldn't have. 28 years ago, I was very sick and I dreamed about him, even though I had never seen him before in my life. 7 years later I met him for the first time. The whole things was crazy scarey and I could go on and on, but I will spare all who read this. I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who has had this type of experience and how things ended up.

I don't know how to say this, but I miss him terribly. I know that he had really done a lot of things to clear up his life, but there is still that closure that hangs over me and all the stuff keeps coming up.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, Finch said:

For better or worse, i am going ahead with this.

I have found a Medium from that site Marty recommended. She is based in the UK and does email readings.

http://www.lizziehoulbrooke.com/

Apparently all I need to do is send her a photo, tell her the name of the person I lost and a number of questions. 

Seems too straight forward and I am massively sceptical. It's pretty affordable compared to some other Mediums I've looked into so if it is a scam, I won't be too ripped off financially.

I have exchanged a number of emails with her asking about the process in more detail.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I hope I don't regret this. 

Sorry Crystal. I have to try!

Please see my post below. In spite of my own experiences, I did try a medium, and they pretty much confirmed everything. I still tend to rely on my own experiences and all this did was validate them. I think it is wiser for myself to trust myself and know. There was the element of mediumship around the whole relationship that I was in- it was there to start with and I know I had a pre-existence with this person.

Good luck and I would like to know how it turns out

Jan,

Wow, it really seems significant that he passed on your current partner's birthday!  I had something interesting happen...my late husband, when we first met (through writing) his was the first piece of mail in my new PO Box...my PO Box was 1454 and his birthday fell on the 14th day and the year 54.  Years after he died, I reconnected with someone I'd gone to school with and HIS birthday fell on the 14th day year 54!  It turns out that even though we weren't supposed to be coupled off, we are very good friends and there's no doubt in my mind that we have a place in each other's lives.  

Maybe there is something to numbers than mere coincidence?  Perhaps his dying on your partner's birthday signifies the closing of one relationship and the reaffirmation of the other one.

The dream I had before I met him was very frightening, as I had mentioned earlier,- I had been very sick and after I had the dream I slept with the lights on for the next three nights. The dream I had that alerted me to the fact that things might not be ok with him was not so- he quoted me on two things that I had said during the time we were together and he had sooty energy at first. He and I walked out into the light and he took his hand and put light on my upper chest by my collarbone and I reached over and grasped his other hand. I have never felt the kind of love I felt when he did this and as we were standing in the light, I realized he was transformed and was healed and well. That would have been about a month before he passed, so you see he was alive and had communicated. I had a dream the other night and I was walking through a place he liked to be and as I looked at my reflection in the water, I realized I was actually looking up at myself through the water and yet he was standing behind me and I heard him say "We need to get to the bottom of this."  I walked over to a group of trees and again, he was behind me and said the same thing. Not sure yet what was meant by what he said, but I hope I will find out.

I think that I have always had this, but it really became prominent when I got sick all those years ago. The one thing that seems to be a commonality with these type of "dreams" is the person who presents in them is either very ill, heavily medicated, doing drugs, or passed over to the other side. My current partner's mother came to me just as I woke up at 4 in the morning and I was standing behind her as she sat in her chair, being engulfed in flames. It was so in my face that I had to wake him and tell him what I was seeing. He was irritated with me and yet, a week later his mother called him out of the blue (there had been some family dynamics where he was keeping his distance) and told him her electricity had shut down. He went over to her house and the coffee pot had shorted out, and her smoke detector batteries were all dead and non-operative. Needless to say, his mom was still alive, but had an addiction to prescription meds. He realized what I had seen and that there was a reason for it.

My own aunt, who had passed on, came to me and was telling me not to be so harsh about something. Her voice, her appearance- everything- there was no mistaking it was her.

My current partner was not so amused when the other man passed on his birthday. The strange thing is that the man from my past, on the night we met, asked my full name, date of birth and birthplace earlier in the evening. He later walked with me over to an old hotel and by chance we walked inside the lobby and looking into the mirror, we looked at each others' reflections and he said my full name and my date of birth and where I had been born, and then his full name date of birth and where he had been born. He turned and looked directly at me and told me that I would always remember this and he was right.  Some people believe in reincarnation, I believe in at least a pre-existence, and I know he and I were together.

I don't think current partners ever like hearing about previous ones, esp. in a good light.  He probably missed the significance of it, I wouldn't push it on him.

8 hours ago, JanBlu said:

After all, I chose him.

True! :)  And good point...

• 2 weeks later...

So, my experience with this Medium photograph reading over email was not very positive.

I went into this very sceptical so I am not totally surprised, just disappointed. 

I am now considering seeing a Medium face to face just to further sate my curiosity on this avenue.

Anyway, if you all don't mind, I will share some of this experience with you.

Basically, I sent this woman 10 photos of Crystal, told her her first name and date of birth, and a number of questions and messages I wanted to convey (16 in total). Some were very specific things. The medium, a few days later, sent back a document answering each question/message one by one, with what she said were Crystal's responses.

The responses were extremely general, and the only times they got specific, sounded completely unlike something Crystal would say. Some things were completely wrong, such as the punchline to a private joke I had with her, or gifts I had sent her. For example I asked if Crystal had opened the final gifts in the Christmas box I sent. Apparently she said thank you for the 'bracelet'. I never sent a bracelet.

Also, Crystal apparently wants me to cut my hair, sleep better and knows I have been eating unhealthily. For the last month or so I have been eating very healthily and exercising. My hair is very short anyway, and my sleeping has been ok-ish. It could do with improving, but not a pressing matter.

One of the things I asked was whether Crystal thinks I should contact her family again, particularly her Dad. The Medium, conveyed that Crystal said that yes, I should reach out to all her family and 'party on dude'. Of course, the Medium has no idea about the context of my relationship with Crystal. I did not mention we'd never physically met. And Crystal NEVER said 'party on dude'!

She said that Crystal's Nana is guiding her in the spirit realm. Crystal's Nana is still alive (as far as I am aware anyway... it's possible she could have passed on since Crystal died).

I asked for Crystal's forgiveness for the regret and guilt I had (about not meeting her). I did not say to the Medium what the regret and guilt were about, and her response was that Crystal forgives me.

She also apparently thought the message I gave to Crystal's friend to give to her the night before she died was 'perfect'. And yet in a previous answer said that she did not recognise anyone or understand anything at the end.

Also, this line sort of angered me:

'The decision to part was something that your souls chose when they began their journey in this life. She sacrificed her time in order for you to learn your soul lessons.'

So, she died at age 38, leaving her two young children behind, so that I could learn my soul lessons?

The thing that got me the most was the punchline to the joke. The Medium's answer for Crystal's response to it was totally wrong. This is a joke we shared practically every other day. 

So anyway, as I say, this was a reading over email... so I am still slightly open minded about a face to face reading (not with the same Medium). I am researching other Mediums who live local to me.

I went into it practically assuming I would be disappointed. And, I am disappointed. Some of the answers were so blatantly obviously overgeneralised to apply to as many situations as possible.

But at least I can tick it off the list. I tried.

The decision to part was something that your souls chose when they began their journey in this life. She sacrificed her time in order for you to learn your soul lessons.'

I read something similar in a book written by a medium. It sounds absurd to me!!