Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Therapy

Cheryl J

I finally made it to see my therapist today.  I had not seen her since March.  When I filled her in on everything that has been going on since then she was amazed that I was still standing.  We talked a lot about my dad.  She knew how close I was to him and that I had been his caregiver for 2 1/2 years before he died.  I found that just talking about it with her, crying and playing in the sand (yes, she has a little sandbox for her patients to mess with) it was like a burden being lifted off my shoulders for a brief moment.  I was in a safe place to grieve, say whatever I needed to say - good and bad - curse - cry.  I did it all.  She gave me some good suggestions but basically told me I have to take care of myself before I explode.  Next week is going to be all about a memorial to my dad to celebrate all the happy times.  She got to see some pictures today but she wants me to bring a bunch next week so I can share the good stories behind them.  After that...we move on to deeper things but first.....celebrate his life and how much he means to me.

I feel mentally and physically exhausted after it but it was good.

• Upvote 4

I'm glad your session went well.  Good for you!

5 hours ago, enna said:

I am smiling and so happy for you, Cheryl. :wub:  You so deserve to feel good. Good for you for doing what so many forget to do and that is to take care of YOU. 

Thanks!