Grief Healing Discussion Groups

loss my sweet kitty to the dryer

heartbrokemomma

This happened just earlier this morning. I am beyond heartbroken and sickened by this...and it was my fault. I lost my sweet Rosetta who was only 6 months old by not checking the dryer even when I heard the thumping because I had just thrown in a large pile of wet soaking towels only thinking it was the weight of the towels possibly bundled together and then 15 minutes later it struck me and I went running to the dryer. I found her shaking with eyes rolling in the back of her head and bleeding. I have never experienced something so horrid in my life and yet when I speak to others about it I get laughed at because to them it was just a "cat."  I went ahead and buried her a few hours later. I kept hoping she was still alive but it was done. I have never been one to get attached things, animals or people for this reason and even though it was only 6 months she was my beloved baby. I am hurting so much mainly for the fact that I didn't bother to double check the dryer and that to me she was beyond perfect in her own little way. How do you get pass this? It is gut wrenching for me

My dear, I am so sorry to learn of the death of your sweet Rosetta, and I know there is precious little we can say to ease the pain you're feeling now. Heavy as it is to bear, what you're feeling in the wake of this tragic loss is evidence that this was in fact an accident, and that what happened here was not intentional on your part. Right now knowing that does nothing to soothe your soul, as all of the grief you're feeling now must be processed over time, until you're able to comprehend exactly what happened, how it happened, what could have been done to prevent it, and what you can do to make amends. You've taken the first step by coming here to share your story. In circumstances such as these, it takes great courage to do that, and I want you to know that you've been heard. You will find no judgments here ~ only compassion and understanding as we walk with you in your sorrow. We all know that what happened to your precious kitty was an accident, that you dearly loved her, and that you'd do anything to rewind this tape so it could have a different ending.

Sometimes it helps to read stories similar to your own, so you can see that you're not alone in all of this. Sadly enough, it seems that what happened to your kitty is not unusual. Below I'm listing threads describing situations very similar to yours, all of which contain information that I hope will be of help to you in the days and weeks ahead:

My Cat Died An Accidental Death

I Killed My Cat By Not Knowing He Was In The Dryer

My Wonderful Cat Boo

Bottomless Pit of Unexpected Devastating Losses

I Killed My Pet Cat! 

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat, esp. in this way.  There have been so many others that have lost their cat this way, I'm just so sorry.  I lost my sweet dog, Fluffy, because he snuck back into my van without me knowing it, and the windows were rolled up as I worked at a mill with a lot of dust in the air, it was a very hot day.  When I opened my door nine hours later, he rolled out into my arms stiff as a board.  It was not a peaceful death and there I sat at my desk just feet away while my dog was suffering, and I had no idea.  I don't think we ever get over the mental image of that.  I have had to focus on the good life he had with us prior to that time, even though he didn't get to live his life as long as he should have.  

You gave your cat the best life you could prior to that day, and I hope that's what you can remember.  You refer to yourself as her mom, that tells me a lot about the wonderful relationship you had.

I might add that, having searched the Internet, I've discovered that this sort of accident happens more frequently than I realized. Cats and kittens are attracted to piles of warm clothing and love being in warm, dark, cave-like enclosures such as clothes dryers. While there is nothing we can do to change what happened to the kitties whose stories have been shared here and elsewhere, I think it's important to know and to share with our readers what we can learn from these horrific accidents, so the same thing won't happen to other kitties and to those who love them.

There are some simple steps that all cat parents can take to prevent such an accident from happening in their homes. See, for example, 

How to Keep Your Cat Out of the Washing Machine & Dryer

Cats and Clothes Dryers

Indoor Cat Hazards 

Thank you, I'm having a hard time dealing with this. I never imagined it would hurt this bad and knowing it could have been prevented. I have always checked to make sure she wasn't in there because she loved to snuggle and sleep under blankets and here recently the tree skirt of our Christmas tree. But for some reason I just didn't yesterday and I don't know why. It has been eating me alive and I just can't seem to let it go. I never knew how much I truly loved my sweet girl and just how much she meaned to me. 

heartbroke, I feel your pain as I am a animal person and I feel for them just like I would for anyone else. Finding her was horrifying and traumatic and it is going to hurt for a while. I'm angry at those who laugh, I know people just like that. It is "just a cat" to them and don't see the big deal in being so sad.

This was an accident. And unfortunately, cats just seem to always find their way into something. I know guilt, and it is awful. Please give yourself time to grieve and be heartbroken. Our furbabies are just as special to us as humans.

I remember my kitten got in the refridgerator and it was a deep one and she walked to the back of it, during the summer while we were putting up groceries. I happened to turn around saw her going back. I would have closed her in there and gone on my way. I hate that they do things like that, but that's their nature. I'm so sorry you had to endure this with your sweet Rosetta. Know that we are here to help you along. ((((((heartbrokemamma)))))

I'd add one more tip to that list:  If you shut the door and hear any clunking, IMMEDIATELY stop and check it out!

For the simple reason you didn't think of it, and you aren't alone, a lot of cats die this way.  I've never had a cat crawl into my dryer but I'm going to be more vigilant because of this warning.  My cats eat on top of the dryer so the dog can't reach their bowls, plus their cat litter is in there because it's got linoleum flooring and away from our living area.  So I can't keep the door shut on the room.  But I keep the door closed and watch while I'm loading it and close it immediately after I'm done.  If the phone rings, I can call them back.  I know you're heartbroken and feel guilt, but this was an accident you didn't foresee and it could have happened to any of us...and has happened to many.