Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost My Brother

sapphire

We lost my brother in March 2003. He was 33 years old. He was diagnosed with AML Leukemia in January and 2 months later he was gone. He left behind a wife and 3 girls under 7. My sister-in-law and nieces moved back to her home state which is over 1700 miles away. Despite the 13 year age difference, my brother and I were very close. He lived with us for several years while he was in high school (due to a divorce situation). I am having a hard time right now because his birthday just passed and of course the holidays are coming. I thought I was doing better, but I found this weekend that everything just came at me. I am tired of the fact that "Life Goes On". I realize that it does, but sometimes I just get mad at that fact. My head knows how things must be, but my heart is not accepting. Even now - sometimes the tears just start. My husband says that I just can’t let things go.

I guess I should add that I also lost my sister 9 years ago. She was 32 and died suddenly of an aneurysm. She also left 3 children. I was mad at the world when we lost her. I got through the first few years because of the anger and the need to be strong for my own children. It took some counseling to deal with her death. With the loss of my brother, I just find myself hurting and not able to process through the grief as I suppose I should. I feel guilty for enjoying life and just flat miss him.

Sapphire

Dear Sapphire,

I'm really sorry for the loss of your brother, and your sister, and that they both left behind their children, that's so unfair. I don't blame you for being mad. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I just hope things work out for you and get better, during these sad times. Take care.

Sincerely,

Shevonne

• 6 months later...
Guest Robbie
We lost my brother in March 2003. He was 33 years old. He was diagnosed with AML Leukemia in January and 2 months later he was gone. He left behind a wife and 3 girls under 7. My sister-in-law and nieces moved back to her home state which is over 1700 miles away. Despite the 13 year age difference, my brother and I were very close. He lived with us for several years while he was in high school (due to a divorce situation). I am having a hard time right now because his birthday just passed and of course the holidays are coming. I thought I was doing better, but I found this weekend that everything just came at me. I am tired of the fact that "Life Goes On". I realize that it does, but sometimes I just get mad at that fact. My head knows how things must be, but my heart is not accepting. Even now - sometimes the tears just start. My husband says that I just can’t let things go.

I guess I should add that I also lost my sister 9 years ago. She was 32 and died suddenly of an aneurysm. She also left 3 children. I was mad at the world when we lost her. I got through the first few years because of the anger and the need to be strong for my own children. It took some counseling to deal with her death. With the loss of my brother, I just find myself hurting and not able to process through the grief as I suppose I should. I feel guilty for enjoying life and just flat miss him.

Sapphire

Dear Sapphire,I'm so sorry about your sister and brother!!! I lost my brother March 10th of a accidentally overdose to Lowertabs.He was 42 years old.Even thought we lived in different states,we were still very close.It was even harder knowing the fact that I was leading down that same road. It could of been me and others time I wish it would of been me instead.I changed my lifestyle now and for the better of my health.I got baptizied and started my own business.I see thing differently now and I have more respect for life! I still talk to my brother ,when I am alone.I even had a dream about him once,which brought me even closer to him.I find alot of comfort by watching John Edwards ,"Crossing Over".Theres alot of good messages and it helps me understand the other side better.I have also been studying my dreams more and recording them.They help me understand myself better and I will be more prepared when my brother comes with another message.It's going to be ok,there still with us, just in another way thats hard to understand!!!!!Hang in There Everyone!!!!!!Robbie