Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after two years...

Air conditioner? It's freezing here! Glad you got it fixed.

That was a great question. We all like to be asked that, it just doesn't happen often. I'm glad you had a good visit.

• Like 1

it's 85 with high humidity all week!:(

I woke up this morning to find my refrigerator is NOT a refrigerator anymore!...It's more like a warm moist cave with a light. :ph34r: 

Thankfully I have another refrigerator to transfer all of the food to so I have not lost anything.:) 

I have picked up a couple more jobs to rebuild my emergency fund.:D

Tomorrow I'm cooking a pot roast and vegetables to share with my Dad.  Life definitely has its interesting moments and continues to move forward. - Shalom

• Like 3

Nothing like the level of mishaps you have had, George, but I was going to take my power nap before dinner and that is when the lightbulb decided to quit.  I depend on that so when I wake up I know it is evening, not morning.  Bedroom is always dark in the morning.  Anyway, it is interesting the timing of things.

• Like 1

George,

Maybe you can donate the refrigerator to St Vinnie's or somewhere, they fix and sell them.  I'm glad you had a spare on hand!  I think I only paid $346 for mine at Sears but it's only 13 cu ft, there's a knack to fitting everything in it since I go through a lot of produce and only get groceries biweekly.

Hope your day goes better!

• Like 1

Doc prescribed prednisone for me, but not working.  Can not stand up straight.  Have to walk bent over.  My friend and daughter are coming tomorrow.  Maybe somehow they can get me somewhere.  Will call doc in morning and see if I should go to ER or ortho guy, if I can get an appt.. This stuff is so hard alone.  It hurts so bad.

• Like 1

Honestly Gin, finding a good doctor is hard to do.  I had two doctors until I was 18 years old.  Dr. Garret delivered me and then his associate Dr. Gray took care of my allergy, tonsils, and anything else that bothered me.  Those were the good old days, good old doctors.  They have so many patients they don't remember you anymore.  That is why they time them 15 minutes for each patient.  Can you imagine a doctor being set on a timer to see patients.  It happens now, but back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, we knew our doctors and they remembered us when we came back.

My nurse practitioner in Glenwood knows me.  She listens to me.  She talks to me and she never talks down to me.  She is a friend and a doctor (nurse practitioner).  That does not happen often anymore.  Good luck Gin, and I hope they take good care of you.  I hope you don't have pain too.

I really feel for you, Gin.  I don't recall what your medical issue is, but prednisone is such nasty stuff.  I had to take it once and hope never again.  Maybe there is an alternative because your reaction sounds very abnormal.  You dint ask for my advice, but I certainly would be alerting the prescribing doc.

I've been on prednisone off and on in the last 43 years and that's what started my weight gain.  It's been a battle ever since.  I was on it with my eye cyst and I hope to never have to go on it again.  That it's not working for you...they really need to find out what is wrong.  Maybe the ER would not be a bad idea.  Please keep us posted, and Gin...I am so sorry you are going through this.  I'm glad the troops are on their way.

• 2 weeks later...

Good NEWS!

1. After 6 days my refrigerator has resurrected and is now working better than ever.
  2. I continue to shed weight and inches: 101+lbs and 10 inches off my chest, waist, and buttocks.
  3. Business has improved and adding more clients each week.
  4. Dad's Brother and two sisters came to visit my Dad for four days last week.
  5. My uncle gave me a great suggestion on how to get some good flying experience and reduce the overall cost of flight training.

NOT good News:

1.  I rode with Dad and his driving is not good at all.
  2. Dad miss stepped off a curb and broke his right wrist and thumb.
  3. My Aunt and Uncle's girlfriend had an accident on a sailing cruise (rouge wave).  We spent four hours in the emergency room getting them checked out (They were okay to fly home the next morning).
  4. Mourning the loss of relationship with my sister.  She overstepped boundaries again in a major way. (Third time)
  5. Still missing Rose Anne more than before.

Shalom

• Like 4

We all have a relative that really knows what nerves to push.  You just keep being George and know that is lots more than she is being.  I signed everything over to my sister and now we have to get Mama's $1800 succession and hopefully my income tax will do it, or close enough.  Then, the house is totally hers and she can either sell it or something to help her live out her life, but I will still be there to help, Lord willing.  And, you will do for your dad anyhow, just like your doing now.  We do it cause we can do no less.  Your a good man George and so proud of your weight loss and taking care of your health.  Your sister will have to live with herself, and if she has any of your genes, then she will have her regrets, but that is on her, not you.  

• Like 2

George,

I'm sorry about your dad.  My cousin just ran over her foot and hand with her big truck, not sure how.  Her foot survived, her hand did not, she needs surgery.  
I'm sorry your sister won't respect boundaries.  I had a hard time with my mom and boundaries, all we can do is repeat them and stick by it.  Sometimes I had to pull back for my own good.

• Like 2

I will be going to the Civil Air Patrol meeting on Thursday to pursue my dream.

I came across this video tonight and it is a very interesting tool for dealing with grief. Enjoy!

What an interesting perspective.  It maybe explains some of the changes I've been going through as I move forward on this grief journey.  - Shalom

• Like 2

George,

Good luck with your meeting!  Continue to update us as you pursue this.  I don't have anything big like that, just trying to survive the everyday challenges and make it through life.  :)  I'm glad it gives you something positive to look forward to and strive for.

• Like 1

The Civil Air Patrol meeting didn't pan out. It's a great service organization to build character for the youths.  I need to pursue the "seniors" branch to reach for my dreams.. 

Also adjusting to the reality of  my sister.. She has a fabulous rationalization for every one of her actions.  I no longer chose to participate in her game of life. 

I spoke to my Dad about his unsafe driving and he gracefully listened instead of just defending his actions.  There is more evidence of his mental acuity slipping.

Shalom   

• Like 2

Thank you for the update, dear George. 

Just so you know, in this post I've assembled a number of useful resources on caring for an elder, which (at some point) you may find helpful. Although it was written in response to a woman whose mother suffered a stroke, its content is current, and relevant to caring for someone with dementia as well: Caregiving After a Stroke: Suggested Resources  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartyT said:

Thank you for the update, dear George. 

Just so you know, in this post I've assembled a number of useful resources on caring for an elder, which (at some point) you may find helpful. Although it was written in response to a woman whose mother suffered a stroke, its content is current, and relevant to caring for someone with dementia as well: Caregiving After a Stroke: Suggested Resources  

Thank you. 

My sister has decided that she is in charge of all things "Dad".  I will have to determine where to exert my influence.  I appreciate the information and resources and will start to followup on this. - Shalom

• Like 3

10 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

My sister has decided that she is in charge of all things "Dad".

Just be there to love him and let him know he has turned everything over to her.  Tell him that you have no control of anything anymore because he has given control to his daughter, your sister.  

When my brother-in-law was dying, he had to go to the nursing home for awhile.  They made him king of Valentine's day.  His sister came to his house to stay from New Mexico.  My daughter has a "take-over" attitude (she was a nurse), and his sister got angry and was going back to NM because she was "not needed."  She was needed though, she and my daughter had words and somehow it never smoothed over.  Because she was a nurse my daughter (and this was in her mentally capable days) always ruled supreme.  Sounds harsh, but that was the way it was.  I felt sorry for my sister-in-law and never understood why anyone has to be "boss."  Your sister is being like my daughter was.  I don't know how to handle people like that and my daughter still tries to "be boss" of everything.  I just let her be boss and stand back and ready to pick up the pieces.  Thus my granddaughter lives with me.  She cannot handle "the boss" in people either.  Unless you have real fusses with these people, you just let them "handle it."  Your dad appointed her.  Now your only job is to sit back and be there for him if he needs you.  And he will.  And you will be there.  

• Like 3

I have one sister that is like that too, but she doesn't see it, of course.  She comes from a loving place but she has extreme anxiety and anger issues and she can start yelling and get out of control at any given moment.  It's very hard to deal with. 

It sounds like maybe there's one in every family.  If you figure out a good way to handle it, let me know!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 3:37 PM, iPraiseHim said:

I spoke to my Dad about his unsafe driving and he gracefully listened instead of just defending his actions.  There is more evidence of his mental acuity slipping

My mom had an accident by not stopping at a stop sign.  No one was hurt.  Then she had another one, again no one hurt, but they took her to court.  She had never been to court in her life and my sister went with her.  She was not ruled against, but did agree to hang up her keys.  My sister followed her home from the country mechanic's shop, this is really country folks.  My sister said she drove on the wrong side of the road until they got home.  Thankfully, it was very slow country.  She could drive no more.  

My responsibilities are many.  Not just my granddaughter.  Sometimes I get afraid and pray to Billy/Jesus to help me.  Not sure either listen.  So far so good though.  I hate getting old without Billy because he made me young again.  

• Like 2

Marg,

I agree.  I never felt old with Al.  We could get through anything!  Well, we didn't.  We sure fought hard.   I know he went through horrible surgeries so we could have a little more time together.  He was braver than I am.

• Like 4

Gin, when they did some of my tests to stage my cancer, it was back in times we did not have things we have now.  I lay on the table still for at least four hours with a big needle holding a lot of fluid going into my lymph nodes.  It was a lymphangiogram.  They stuck it between my big toe and the next toe, right in the center.  It was uncomfortable   They added small weights to the top of the infusion needle and poor Billy was in turmoil.  Not me.  He hurt so much more than me, but having babies I think made us women know things were painful sometimes.  He always remembered that though and it hurt him.  (I don't think they even do that anymore now with PET scans. ) They did a liver biopsy on him and must have let a first year resident do it.  Billy could take all kinds of pain but they brought me back to the recovery room to help calm him down.  He was out of his mind with pain.  He was climbing the walls literally begging someone to shoot him, he wanted to die the pain was so bad.  I soothed him because the pain meds they gave him had started working.  I never can forget the most important thing in my life hurting like that and I was demanding they do something now.  I am 5 feet tall and I wanted to fight someone, anyone, but nobody would get close enough for me to grab them and hold Billy too.  That first year resident had butchered him.  I got out of that hospital as fast as I could.  I retired from a teaching hospital.  What in the hell was I thinking to let them hurt him like that.  It is not ever comfortable, but he was insane with pain and that man could take pain..  He does not hurt anymore, but I do.  I just sloughed off some of that scar tissue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marg M said:

She could drive no more.

If I couldn't drive I'd have to move, there's no public transportation here.  If I lived in town I could get rides from people, but way out here in the country, no one wants to come out here just for me.  It'd be a major problem for me.  Life has it's changes and adjustments, some of them are hard.

• Like 2

1,004 Days!

That's how long it has been since I have seen my beloved wife alive.  It's hard to imagine I could live one day without her by my side and yet... here it is.  -Shalom

• Like 2