Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after two years...

Today is my sister's (Sharon) birthday. She is one year younger than me. I am grateful that her heart procedure was successful and she has not experienced any more afibs.

Funny thing happened this morning.  My Dad called to wish me a happy birthday. I was a little puzzled but he is displaying more confusion lately.  He usually calls me on my birthday but he was being prepped for his cataract surgery that day so he got the days mixed up.  It is also my parents wedding anniversary today but it is not mentioned since Mom died nine years ago.  

I baked a yellow cake with chocolate frosting that I'm told is my sister's favorite.  I am bringing dinner, cake and ice cream so she doesn't have to cook on her birthday. Have a great day. - Shalom, George 

• Upvote 5

I have been watching "Butter Bob" you-tube videos for the past few days to learn more about LCHF eating. 

This video reminded me of when I read this book, "Man's search for Meaning" by Viktor E Frankl.

Shalom

• Upvote 2

George,

I am glad you still have family around, I miss my mom.  I used to speak freely with my mom about my dad and she told me she appreciated it because everyone else acted like he never existed.  I never failed to call her on their anniversary, which was also my dad's birthday.  She outlived him 32 years.  Of course I didn't bring it up to her when she got dementia and didn't remember, no sense bringing up something that would make her cry.  She wasn't one to cry until she got dementia but for some reason it softened her.

I hope you have a good time tonight.  A guy who is there for everyone and bakes too?  You'd better not let the cat out of the bag, you'll have women everywhere seeking you out! :D

• Upvote 2

Kay, my mom and dad fussed all the time.  I cannot remember very many times when they were not fussing, mostly about money.  When she was in full blown dementia, she would remember her sisters and said she had five husbands.  Well, I had one, but just like me, there were many personalities in that one that grew different with age. (Myself also) The last thing I will remember of my mama is in a moment (only seconds) of clarity, she looked up at me as my mama and said "it's hard isn't it" and then she disappeared again.  But, I saw my mom for the last time in that moment.  She outlived Daddy over 30 years.  In her beginnings of dementia she would fuss with her sisters all over again. (They had all passed away years before. I sat with her body after she passed and told her to tell Billy how much I loved him and I was sorry I was not holding him as he passed.  But, I never cried for my mama.  I did cry after that one instant recognition of loss that she gave me, and that was the last.  Dementia, Alzheimer's is a cruel lingering calamity.  

One funny moment I wish I had on video was my mom and her oldest sister (the only ones left), and both in their late 80's.  One said something that made the other angry.  She stopped the car on this highway and was going to get out and whip the other's "behind."  A lifetime of fussing.  I used to try to drive those two around, sightseeing, and they never saw the sights, they spent the whole time fussing..  "Driving two Ms. Daisy's"  

• Upvote 1

I visited my Dad this evening and brought dinner for us to share and some extra meals for him. ( homemade Chicken enchiladas and Northwest vegetables). My Dad seems very confused and weak.  He went to the doctor today and gave him a good report.  I am not sure what else I can do to help him. I have a busy work schedule the next three days. - Shalom

• Upvote 2

George,

It is good that you and your sister and your dad are so close and there for each other, it's seemed a long time since I had my mom, I miss being able to talk to her, even though her mental condition was so bad I'm not sure it was ever much comfort even when I did have her.  I guess it's just good having that option.  And homemade Enchiladas!  You're luck you're clear across the US, I might have had to crash your party!  Good luck with your busy work schedule.

I fell at the vet's yesterday.  Coming out of the room, there is a scale low to the floor and the receptionist was in the way of my seeing it, she was on the cellphone.  She moved back and I stepped forward, tripping over the scale, down I went, hard.  I've counted 8 injuries, the knee seems the worst one.  Moving very slowly since.  Wondering how many colors everything can turn.  (Yes I iced everything)

• Upvote 3

Kay, I always know I am a moment away from falling.  Used to could roll with the punches, cannot now.  My sister tripped on a blanket she was carrying to the washing machine, hit her body and head against the door facings, concrete floor, and chairs.  When we were younger we imagined jumping right up.  I know I did sometimes, but now falling is a slow motion o-o-o-h n-o-o-o.  You feel yourself falling and somehow you cannot even protect your head.  No matter how hard you try.  Your instincts are so much slower.  And, I tend to just sometimes drag my sneakers and can fall just walking across a tile floor.  My sister did not tell me because it worried her so much and she "waited it out" the hitting of her head.  Picking my feet up high enough now seems a problem.  Maybe they are just telling me my behind is too big to carry.  I hope your mending is fast.

I was carrying things out to the car night before last, some things my son needed but had left here.  Brian, one of my neighbors took them out of my hands and said I should not walk the steps in the dark, so he carried them.  I have good neighbors.  Know I would be heard fast if in distress.  And like I said, Billy would never live in an apartment.  Strange, we were so alike yet so different.  He would be by himself in the woods in the RV somewhere.  I loved the peace and quiet with him, now crave life, voices.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, kayc said:

George,

...I fell at the vet's yesterday.  Coming out of the room, there is a scale low to the floor and the receptionist was in the way of my seeing it, she was on the cellphone.  She moved back and I stepped forward, tripping over the scale, down I went, hard.  I've counted 8 injuries, the knee seems the worst one.  Moving very slowly since.  Wondering how many colors everything can turn.  (Yes I iced everything)

Kayc,

I am sorry for your fall.  I hate to fall. Did that almost three years ago carrying supplies down a set of wooden stairs.  Both hands full.  I tripped and missed the last four steps and fell on a hardwood floor.  Thankfully nothing was broken but I was bruised up real bad. It made it a real challenge to drive, work, and take care of Rose Anne.  My left shoulder still gives me some trouble.

If you are able, soak in a hot tub with Epsom salt.  It helps the muscles and body to heal and ease the pain. If not you can mix Epson salt with water in a spray body apply to your skin and rub in. Praying that you will heal and restore quickly.  - Shalom   

• Upvote 3

Kay, my dear, I'm so sorry to learn of your falling at the vet's office yesterday! I can only imagine how sore you are today. I've tripped and fallen so many times I've lost count. I've turned into a klutz of the first order. As Marg said, our ability to catch ourselves on the way down really does diminish with age, and the older we get, the more vulnerable we are and the more careful we must be. Still, accidents happen, no matter how careful we are. Take good care of you today, and I hope you feel all better soon. 

• Upvote 6

Kay,

I am just now reading this and am so sorry to hear that you fell. You probably hurt all over. You usually discover "owies" where you least expect. The embarrassment always hurt me more than the actual fall. Fortunately, I am not prone to falling, only dizziness.

I hope you are feeling better.

• Upvote 3

Getting better, little by little, thanks for asking.  Getting up/down from sofa and in/out of the car is hard but the pain otherwise is lessening.

• Upvote 4

I visited my Dad today and brought dinner to share Spaghetti (two types). I found out that some of his kidney function is off and he will be seeing a nephrologist (kidney doctor) next week.It is setting off triggers of the first time I took Rose Anne to the nephrologist. My Dad is getting more confused and weaker.

Also, my Dad's cataract surgery for his right eye is tomorrow morning.  My sister is taking him and will be with him all day.  I have a full work schedule the rest of the week. - Shalom   

• Upvote 2

George, I'm sorry this is a reminder/trigger for you.  I'm glad your sister will be able to take your dad and be with him all day, I'm sure he'll be on your mind as you work.  Praying for him!

• Upvote 2