Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hi everyone, Yes, my mind and my body remind me of the date and time frame I lost Kev. I am almost at the 11 month mark.

May 12... Just got through our granddaughter's first bday....we were still in Indiana on this date last year helping our set daughter

with her brand new baby girl ..giddy with love for her and all the things we looked forward to as grandparents.

I see so much of him in her....her little feet, the shape of her eyes....

Last Memorial Day we rode the Harley to the VA cemetery..... I had no idea that I would be laying to rest, my patriot ...my husband 

of 28.5 years in that very area not even a month later.

Srill wading through the pain...wondering where my feet will land, Hugs, Marie

Night winds, such a beautiful picture ..Tks for sharing.

May God bless us all.

• Upvote 6

Night Winds - I'm so so sorry for your loss. I completely understand your feelings.  I just lost my husband of 24 years on March 3rd, 2 months ago, yesterday.  I know exactly the pain and loneliness you are feeling.  These past two months have been filled with lots of tears. Lots of fear of the known future.  The feeling of living in a nightmare.  The frustration of having a new life forced upon you.  One that doesn't include having your partner by your side.  It's frightening to think about going through the rest of your life without your soulmate, best friend, partner, love of your life.  It can become very overwhelming.  But please try to remember that you don't have to master your life in one day.  You are not alone in this.  You have friends and family to help comfort you.  You have the wonderful people in this group!  They  have helped me through a lot of questions, feelings, and breakdowns.  

Speaking of special days/anniversaries being harder to handle, I've had a couple this past week to deal with.  The first one was, I just held the Celebration of Life ceremony for my husband this past Saturday.  It was a lovely ceremony and many of our family and friends attended.  It showed me just how loved my special man is.  I'm not alone in my grieving and I have lots of support!

The other special day, Michael's birthday was this past Tuesday, May 2nd.  That was a very hard day to get through.  But with the help of close friends and family, it was tolerable.  Yes, I cried, but I'm finding that my tears are more for me than for him.  I know he's pain free now and no longer has to suffer with his afflictions.  I'm the one that is suffering now. 

My best advice is to give yourself time.  This is a fresh and raw to you.  Don't do anything too quickly.  You don't have to do anything that you are uncomfortable with.  You don't have to rush into anything.  Take time for you and take care of you!

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, R.Everit55 said:

Sunday was our 28th anniversary of the day Mary became my bride.  It's now 36 years since I knew we'd spend a life together.   I miss her so much there aren't enough words.  That got cut too short by an angry disease called ALS.  And I hate it.  My only solace is she has our granddaughters with her and our oldest grandson.  But even that breaks my heart.  I wish we had more time.  ?

Thinking of you Butch.  ?

• Upvote 2

Butch, you spent a lifetime together, it's no wonder your heart is broken.  I wish we all had more time together.

• Upvote 2

Four years ago tomorrow marks the day that my Ron took his final breath. In my mind, I still see the hospital bed in the family room where he faded away.

Graveside, a few days later, I still see my daughter crying and hear her words that ripped out my heart, "Mama, mama, soon that will be me". One year later, it was.

This never gets any easier.

• Upvote 7

Karen,

This doesn't get a whole lot easier, does it.  Sure, the shock fades and we "get used to" being alone, we learn to do things they used to do, but gosh darn the missing them remains.  And it affects everything that matters about our lives.

You're in my thoughts and prayers today, dear Karen.  You've endured too much loss and our hearts go out to you.

• Upvote 3

Dear Karen,

Thinking of you and holding you in thought and prayer.

Blessings, Carol Ann

• Upvote 1

Today is May 6, 2017. It was a year ago today that Dana and I re-established first a friendship after 32 years had passed, which quickly evolved to the love we had shared as well.  It was a joy to share memories from working together and being friends back then. She still had the best stories and an infectious laugh.

In addition to being a writer, editor and poet, Dana was an artist and an extraordinary seamstress.

Dana and I enjoyed each other’s wise-cracking.  She particularly liked my response whenever someone called the phone in the department where we worked together. We'd hear the ring, then I would call out, "Get that, it might be the phone."  Corny, but she laughed every time, and eventually started saying it herself, to beat me to it… "Get that, it might be the phone." 

We became close friends.  I always admired her literary knowledge, artistic talents, and her tenacity.  She made me strive to improve myself. Friendship evolved into love.

I graduated, and immediately found work in another state.  Not long after she was accepted into the Master’s program at NCSU.  Although we maintained the relationship for several months, distance and each of us having much to deal with eventually caused us to lose touch.

Fast forward 32 years.  I stopped near the end of April last year to get dinner to take home for my son and me.  The young lady who waited on me reminded me of Dana.  A couple of days later my son asked me to try something else from the restaurant, and the same girl waited on me again.  I was so taken by the resemblance.  So I decided to look for Dana.  I did know her new last name from a brief contact through someone else 17 years ago, but none of the Dana entries returned from searches matched up.  I finally found her through Linked In, and sent a message.  She remembered me, responded, and we started exchanging e-mail.

At some point I wrote, "Hey, you up for a call?" and included my number.  Well, my phone rang about a minute after that.  When I answered, she said "Dave, get that, it might be the phone!"  Following that we spoke almost daily for the next 6 months.  Like she has for many, she absolutely enriched my life.  I will never forget her.

• Upvote 4